Rookie Camp Discussion

Jpan85

5 hours ago, Floyd said:

Remind me why we care that our 3rd string QB can play special teams...  its not like there's a shortage of ST guys on the bombers

I think regardless of position, you have to start somewhere... the fact he's able to contribute at all on STs as a 3rd string QB is more than what most other 3rd-stringers do in the league...

2 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

No no. ;) Just saying that if he goes through some prolonged rough patches again like last year I think Streveler will get a chance to takeover this season and he could potentially never give the job back.  I believe Nichols contract is coming up after this year and if Streveler shows really well this season I could see Winnipeg moving on if Nichols wants big bucks like some of these other qbs have got.  

Whichever way you look at it's unlikely the Bombers will be able to afford both Nichols and Streveler next season, so that puts Bennett in a great position to step up into the #2 job.   Streveler is lined up for a pay raise next off-season, whether he remains a Bomber and becomes the starter or goes elsewhere in F.A. to start he's going to get paid significantly more.  

Generally it seems like when we decide that all three of our rostered QBs are so good they are above competition is when everything comes crashing down. Remember going into 2012 we re-signed Pierce, Brink, and Elliott and apparently our QB depth was the best it had been in decades.  Again in 2017 when we had Nichols, Lefevour and Dom Davis.  Best QB depth in decades.  Both years turned out our QB depth was a joke.

I don't mean to be overly negative but I just get a bad feeling... if Nichols has another year like last year and Streveler has a sophomore slump........ 

53 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Whichever way you look at it's unlikely the Bombers will be able to afford both Nichols and Streveler next season, so that puts Bennett in a great position to step up into the #2 job.   Streveler is lined up for a pay raise next off-season, whether he remains a Bomber and becomes the starter or goes elsewhere in F.A. to start he's going to get paid significantly more.  

I know this isn’t the point of your post but if we let Streveler walk in favour of Nichols, we will regret it for 20 years. 

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

Generally it seems like when we decide that all three of our rostered QBs are so good they are above competition is when everything comes crashing down. Remember going into 2012 we re-signed Pierce, Brink, and Elliott and apparently our QB depth was the best it had been in decades.  Again in 2017 when we had Nichols, Lefevour and Dom Davis.  Best QB depth in decades.  Both years turned out our QB depth was a joke.

I don't mean to be overly negative but I just get a bad feeling... if Nichols has another year like last year and Streveler has a sophomore slump........ 

Who in the fack would think LeFevour being our 2nd string would equal best qb depth?

The last time I was happy with our qb depth was Jones and Glenn.   Maybe Pierce and Jyles also.   

41 minutes ago, Atomic said:

...then let the hogs and Harris run rampant over opposing d-lines like they did to grind out the clock in the Western semifinal against the 'Riders.

12 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/05/16/asotui-eli-rekindling-fire-football/

Looks to have the weight up just needs to get into football shape. Kind of looks like a Chung clone.

“Football? Play a sport that you enjoy for money? Those things don’t come often in life so I was like, ‘Hell yeah, I’m hopping on that plane,’” Eli said Thursday after the second day of Bombers rookie camp.

Our offense isn't necessarily dependent upon the QB to do everything, as so many here are suggesting. In spite of Nichols injuries, a rookie QB starting the first part of the year, Nichols post-injury struggles, we were still one of (THE?) highest scoring teams in the league....as Booch said, I'm not overly concerned about who our QB is. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Our offense isn't necessarily dependent upon the QB to do everything, as so many here are suggesting. In spite of Nichols injuries, a rookie QB starting the first part of the year, Nichols post-injury struggles, we were still one of (THE?) highest scoring teams in the league....as Booch said, I'm not overly concerned about who our QB is. 

Yep - highest scoring team last year during the regular season. Interestingly enough though, we were middle of the pack in total yards (6,630, 368 per game), Hamilton led the league (7,300, 405 per game)

34 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I think we'll see big changes if we have another good regular season and bomb in the playoffs. I don't see how you can keep everyone together after anything less than a Grey Cup appearance, if not a victory. Pressure is on!

I think this is a bit of an overreaction....there's so much more to it than just the black and white of "win or lose"....how you win or lose plays into it.

33 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I think we'll see big changes if we have another good regular season and bomb in the playoffs. I don't see how you can keep everyone together after anything less than a Grey Cup appearance, if not a victory. Pressure is on!

I understand that's the ultimate goal, but blowing things up just for the sake of blowing things up is just plain silly in my opinion - they pushed Calgary to the limit last year and nearly knocked them off their high horse...

This years team is very different than last years team.

We've drafted pretty well since Walters took over, getting 3 all stars in 5 years. We lost all of them in the off season.

We've replaced 2 NI all star OL with guys who have a start or two under their belt or are rookies.

We lost our WIL and our shutdown corner.

We lost our all star safety who we are replacing with a guy who didn't win the spot out of TC last year as he got hurt in game 3 having not played safety at all. He is coming off of a big injury and is currently on the vet injured list.

We lost some veteran backups like Wild, Leggett and Fogg.

We're making a bunch of changes at DB.

We only made 2 known upgrades.

We're counting on our QB getting back to his 2017 form, that the guys who have been around the club for a while are now good enough to be starters and that this years draft will net a starter this year.

9 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

We've drafted pretty well since Walters took over, getting 3 all stars in 5 years. We lost all of them in the off season.

We've replaced 2 NI all star OL with guys who have a start or two under their belt or are rookies.

We lost our all star safety who we are replacing with a guy who didn't win the spot out of TC last year as he got hurt in game 3 having not played safety at all. He is coming off of a big injury and is currently on the vet injured list.

We're counting on our QB getting back to his 2017 form, that the guys who have been around the club for a while are now good enough to be starters and that this years draft will net a starter this year.

Image result for sky is falling

22 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Isn't this basically the story of a successful team?

All of the bad teams want our good players and are willing to pay them well above what they may or may not be worth.  See: Chungh, Loffler, Santos Knox, Fogg.

Not bringing back over the hill vets that don't make enough impact: See Wild, Leggett. Randle being a shutdown corner isn't quite accurate anymore.

We brought in 2 known upgrades and are filling holes in the lineup from within the organization: See Calgary basically losing an offensive lineman per year and being not being overly active in free agency.

So we're a good team then?

23 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

"Very different". Most of our starters are returning, including in the key positions. 

"We drafted pretty well" but only the players that left, right? The scrubs that remain are terrible. 

OL - we're not starting anyone who hasn't already been with the team. No rookies will start. 

WIL - loved JSK but he really started looking good with Bighill. I'll take Bighill and the WIL that he'll make look good this year. Shutdown corner was not a shutdown in 2018. Randle was no island. 

Are safeties suddenly hard to replace? Our penciled-in starter was might have won the job out of camp if not for an injury. 

Vets turnover. Who on that list is hard to replace? Who?

We signed some DBs. 

"Only made 2 known upgrades"? Huh? Receiver, DE, DB and we extended some key players. 

A QB who hurt his knee badly in preseason. 

"that the guys who have been around the club for a while are now good enough to be starters and that this years draft will net a starter this year." The very definition of draft and develop. Now you're trashing Walters? You literally say whatever you want to fit your narrative. 

4 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Isn't this basically the story of a successful team?

All of the bad teams want our good players and are willing to pay them well above what they may or may not be worth.  See: Chungh, Loffler, Santos Knox, Fogg.

Not bringing back over the hill vets that don't make enough impact: See Wild, Leggett. Randle being a shutdown corner isn't quite accurate anymore.

We brought in 2 known upgrades and are filling holes in the lineup from within the organization: See Calgary basically losing an offensive lineman per year and being not being overly active in free agency.

So we're a good team then?

100 percent. I remember when we had to over pay veterans to even consider signing with us. I’m loving the way this team looks. Lots of depth, good Canadian starters, and a ton of play makers on both sides of the ball. Unfortunately a good football team will lose good players. I get it, players have to make a living too but when they leave another team for more money rarely does the team get the value for what they’re paying for. I’m glad we’re on the other end of the spectrum like a team like Calgary instead of a team like Montreal. 

Edited by Arnold_Palmer