Rookie Camp Discussion

Jpan85

16 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

yeah training camp seems like mostly an excuse for the reporters to catch up after the offseason.

Bauming and Tait seem like the only guys who looks like they're working for the most part.

Well, we know the smart-alecs are not....

"It's been a great experience, these guys are good for the room... it's a good eye-opener that football is being played around the world."

Coach O'Shea on the impact of CFL 2.0

▶️ | bit.ly/2YyzQXH  

👁‍🗨 Cruel business - If a bear is released in the woods, leave it be. 

(32 years old, played 1 full season in his 6 year #CFL career.) (246 tackles for LB Bear Woods the last three seasons with only 24 misses. Under 10% missed tackles makes him #1 among MLB, even better than Elimimian and Dean.)

👁‍🗨 As to Brian Bennett making the team...as soon as I saw those ST tackles last year..he has a job. Someone’s going to have to rival Streveler to get Bennett  off the roster.

👁‍🗨 Boy do I see big name cuts all over the league..especially Calgary and B.C.

👁‍🗨 Tampering (previously known as Herveying) - for players and teams to talk 9 days prior to Free Agency is now legal....it makes sense and could stop furious bidding.

Rasheed Bailey is another to keep an eye on, for sure. - Darrin Bauming TSN

27 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Theoretically you don’t need to use one of your starters in a SP teams role then

Don't see how that outweighs the risk of injuring your potential QB of the future...  blown ACL and you have just wasted 3 years of QB development

51 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

He doesnt just play them, he excels at them. 

But he doesn't 'excel' at them... Miller, Briggs, Miles, Gauthier, Fenner excel at ST

He's decent but is biggest play of the year was kind of because he was the last man downfield...

Just hope we can replace his 7 ST tackles if he gets cut...

You have to understand tho as well that guys play a role that is key that doesnt translates to tackles..they do the things to allow the big guns to make the tackles.

That being said his ST play shouldn't keep him around if a raw rookie is head and shoulders better..but again..its Nichols team for now..then Strev's so  3rd string developing now is kinda irrelevant and would never..ever see the light of the field..so I'd much rather keep a guy..Bennett who knows the system.. adds value on the team and knows our playbook very well in the odd chance he has to be bumped up to number 2..cause as it stands if our starter goes down..or the backup..we could be one play away from playing with a rookie..and we would be in a bad spot.

As it stands we are developing a guy..streveler so no need developing a 3rd who would get zero development time anyway 

Edited by Booch

22 minutes ago, Booch said:

You have to understand tho as well that guys play a role that is key that doesnt translates to tackles..they do the things to allow the big guns to make the tackles.

That being said his ST play shouldn't keep him around if a raw rookie is head and shoulders better..but again..its Nichols team for now..then Strev's so  3rd string developing now is kinda irrelevant and would never..ever see the light of the field..so I'd much rather keep a guy..Bennett who knows the system.. adds value on the team and knows our playbook very well in the odd chance he has to be bumped up to number 2..cause as it stands if our starter goes down..or the backup..we could be one play away from playing with a rookie..and we would be in a bad spot.

As it stands we are developing a guy..streveler so no need developing a 3rd who would get zero development time anyway 

You know that makes zero sense...  

And this just reminds me of the days when we absolutely had to keep Goltz or whoever because he was so good at third and inches... 

Love it!

Question to Asotui Eli

Does he have that football fire burning in his belly again?

“It’s getting up, it’s getting higher and higher,” he said. “I’m getting little flashbacks on the field and getting back into the whole brotherhood mentality… your brothers’ got your back and stuff like that. It feels good. It’s definitely building up. I’m getting a little more excited, a little more energy and a little more passion. It feels good.

“I’m not in the best shape in my life, but I’m getting better every day and I’m getting tips and there’s a lot of great resources with this program. I plan to utilize them to try and be the best I can be to help the team be the best they can be.”

https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/05/16/asotui-eli-rekindling-fire-football/

26 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I think we keep developing Bennet.  He’s experienced now and there are things that could happen this season which could lead to Streveler being the starter next year and if that happens I want a 2nd string qb who’s experienced. 

You're not going Tonya Harding on us are you...?

7 minutes ago, Floyd said:

You're not going Tonya Harding on us are you...?

No no. ;) Just saying that if he goes through some prolonged rough patches again like last year I think Streveler will get a chance to takeover this season and he could potentially never give the job back.  I believe Nichols contract is coming up after this year and if Streveler shows really well this season I could see Winnipeg moving on if Nichols wants big bucks like some of these other qbs have got.  

I dunno, I have never at any point been concerned about our OL going into this season. If Couture isn't ready to start, they never would have kept him around this long. I also think Cody Speller is a lot better than people realize. I think Geoff Gray is extremely talented and has the potential to start at RG right now, and if he's not ready, Manase Foketi definitely is. 

I have absolute 100% faith in Walters/Lapo ability to protect the QB because they haven't given me a reason not to trust them in at least 4 years... 

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I dunno, I have never at any point been concerned about our OL going into this season. If Couture isn't ready to start, they never would have kept him around this long. I also think Cody Speller is a lot better than people realize. I think Geoff Gray is extremely talented and has the potential to start at RG right now, and if he's not ready, Manase Foketi definitely is. 

I have absolute 100% faith in Walters/Lapo ability to protect the QB because they haven't given me a reason not to trust them in at least 4 years... 

Yep Ol isnt a position of concern, it will be very interesting though. Steel sharpens steel, and who ever wins the spot will have had a fantastic camp and pre season. 

35 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Excited about this Eli kid. I mean it sucks to lose Chungh and Goossen but to replace them with three seemingly high level prospect in Eli, Gray and Desjarlais is exciting.

He sounds like a real great pickup.. Would have been a crime not to have drafted him. 

Now imagine where this team's Canadian talent would be at if Loeffer, Chung, and Goosen were all back here.

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

He sounds like a real great pickup.. Would have been a crime not to have drafted him. 

Now imagine where this team's Canadian talent would be at if Loeffer, Chung, and Goosen were all back here.

Ehhh it was never going to happen though. Chungh and Loffler were both gone. Rosters turn over based on the salary cap and you just have to be prepared to replace them with guys in your system. It's what Calgary has done for a long while and what we are now doing. :)