Game of Thrones: Final Season Discussion: ==> MAJOR SPOILERS<==

Wanna-B-Fanboy

Loved last night's episode, though I think there a few flaws that will become more apparent once it sinks in. It's been that way the last couple of seasons though

Questions to discuss;

1. where was bran warging?
  2. If Beric played out his reason to be revived (saving Arya) , did the hound as well, or has he got another part to his story? 
  3. Is Cersei sailing to Winterfell to pounce on the North before they recover? (episode 4 preview)
  4. Those that survived- what is there end story? Assuming they didn't survive just have a happy ending. I expect they have a role to play in the future.

I've read a lot of the complaints about the episode, and much is usual internet complaining, but the only two real complaints I have are that it was too dark, and that not enough characters died for the size of the battle. As for the darkness, I will rewatch with my contrast adjusted. The second is that too many characters survived. You can't tell me that Sam , who can't fight, survived being at the first point of attack , along with Grey Worm, Jamie, Brienne, etc. Ghost as well. We saw with Shaggydog that a hoard can easily overrun a direwolf, but Ghost somehow survived.

My impression watching the episode was that Bran was warging to draw the Night King out to play, since the whole plan depended on the NK making a big run for the Godswood.

I figured everyone who was at the end of their plotline would be dead, so I called Jorah and Theon and the flaming sword guy dying.  I expected there'd be a shocking death that would abort or reconfigure a plotline, but nothing like that happened, so yeah I'm kinda with you itchy.  But on the other hand, they've only got three episodes left so they gotta get this thing tidied away and concluded, probably no time for any big plot swings.

Loved the Arya and Lady Mormont bits and the callback to Arya's pre-Faceless sword training.

3 hours ago, itchy said:

Loved last night's episode, though I think there a few flaws that will become more apparent once it sinks in. It's been that way the last couple of seasons though

Questions to discuss;

2. If Beric played out his reason to be revived (saving Arya) , did the hound as well, or has he got another part to his story? 
  3. Is Cersei sailing to Winterfell to pounce on the North before they recover? (episode 4 preview)
  4. Those that survived- what is there end story? Assuming they didn't survive just have a happy ending. I expect they have a role to play in the future.

I've read a lot of the complaints about the episode, and much is usual internet complaining, but the only two real complaints I have are that it was too dark, and that not enough characters died for the size of the battle. As for the darkness, I will rewatch with my contrast adjusted. The second is that too many characters survived. You can't tell me that Sam , who can't fight, survived being at the first point of attack , along with Grey Worm, Jamie, Brienne, etc. Ghost as well. We saw with Shaggydog that a hoard can easily overrun a direwolf, but Ghost somehow survived.

1) I definitely agree with Johnzo that Bran was trying to lure the Night King out.  Nothing else I've read really makes sense.

2) The Hound definitely has more to his story.  Similar to Jamie, the redemption is one part but dealing with an evil sibling is the other.

3) I dont think she goes north as she doesn't know what would be waiting for her.  If the dead won, they would have an even bigger army than before so leaving the safety of kings landing to rush in,  is probably not the best move.

4) Most of the characters left still have some story left because until late last season, their goal was kings landing so now they get back to it.

My biggest issues was that we never really got to see the night king fight.  His white walkers were pretty useless in the end too except for handing him spears to throw.  Hell Sam took one out so they weren't all that different from their wights.

9 hours ago, bluto said:

"Good luck with the battle you guys... I'm going to play flight simulator with some crows..."

I think the same can be said for Jon Snow - "have fun on the ground, I'm going to fly around doing nothing for most of the battle".  The very least he could have fried some dead guys.

On 2019-04-29 at 2:08 PM, itchy said:

Questions to discuss;

Maybe the dead guys are animal lovers?

1 minute ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I thought he did.... I remember both dragons scorching the AotD

where I thought that they dropped the ball was when the dead guys were all standing there waiting for the fire to burn out.  D and J could have done a strafing run and broken their backs as they were all bunched up standing in a line.  Instead they were screwing around up in the clouds.  I was screaming at the TV - GET DOWN THERE JON!!!!

Just now, kelownabomberfan said:

where I thought that they dropped the ball was when the dead guys were all standing there waiting for the fire to burn out.  D and J could have done a strafing run and broken their backs as they were all bunched up standing in a line.  Instead they were screwing around up in the clouds.  I was screaming at the TV - GET DOWN THERE JON!!!!

Yeah- they were lined up perfectly for a flaming strafing run.

yeah, my impression was that the Night King brought the storm to bollix the dragons, they were roasting the **** out of the zombies when suddenly the blizzard rolled in.

but don't take my word on it, I was just squinting at the screen and trying to parse the swirl of midnight blue and coal black pixels.

7 hours ago, johnzo said:

Cersei reminds me of last year's Vegas Knights, lying in wait while the Jets and the Predators beat the ever-loving bejeezus out of each other.

Tho the Targaryeans still have at least one dragon and I don't know if The Platinum Blonde Romulan has an answer for that.

The preview for next week shows that they still have both dragons. Cersei's answer is those giant crossbows that Qyburn had made.  The producers added the crossbows to the intro scene - firing a bolt into a dragon skull, so I'm assuming that they will play a factor in the battle as they like to drop hints in there.

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 8:45 AM, bigg jay said:

The preview for next week shows that they still have both dragons. Cersei's answer is those giant crossbows that Qyburn had made.  The producers added the crossbows to the intro scene - firing a bolt into a dragon skull, so I'm assuming that they will play a factor in the battle as they like to drop hints in there.

Well, we got our answer to that one. I figured we'd see more of the scorpion when they realized it worked against the dragons at the loot train, but that was brutal.

I never really liked Daenerys, but I like her character arc and the whole concept of power earned (Jon) vs. power by perceived right (her). Someone needs to tell her she's not nearly as smart or determined as Cersei, or her arrogance and stubbornness are going to get everyone killed. her arrogance thinking she is going to be the best ruler, but now willing to do whatever it takes and kill innocents also goes against her "freer of chains" title.

I wonder if Cersei has any more wildfire left after blowing up the Scept of Baelor, and how that will play out. Does  Daenerys walk through the wildfire and earn some street cred with Westeros, or does someone whack her from within? I think if we lose Drogon (which I think we will, to close out the story loop), her usefulness goes way downhill.

Edited by itchy
spelling

I'd assume that wildfire is still in play.  Even if she used all she had, I'd have to think she would have gotten the alchemists back to work making more, seeing how well it worked with the Scept and at the Battle of the Blackwater.

Dany could quickly be following in her dad's footsteps if she's willing to sacrifice the people of King's Landing to take out Cersei.  The battle would then be between the True King vs the Mad Queen!

23 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

I'd assume that wildfire is still in play.  Even if she used all she had, I'd have to think she would have gotten the alchemists back to work making more, seeing how well it worked with the Scept and at the Battle of the Blackwater.

Dany could quickly be following in her dad's footsteps if she's willing to sacrifice the people of King's Landing to take out Cersei.  The battle would then be between the True King vs the Mad Queen!

I’d heard that speculation before but didn’t think they’d go there. Just didn’t fit the modern sensibility to have the female hero turn bad and be usurped by the man. Especially with the other female lead being evil. 

But dany isn’t very likeable.   Jon as the reluctant hero makes more sense.  Having no central king makes sense too. 

15 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I’d heard that speculation before but didn’t think they’d go there. Just didn’t fit the modern sensibility to have the female hero turn bad and be usurped by the man. Especially with the other female lead being evil. 

But dany isn’t very likeable.   Jon as the reluctant hero makes more sense.  Having no central king makes sense too. 

I'm not sure modern sensibility applies to this series though since it's a medieval fantasy.  A lot of things in the show go against modern traditions.  Being usurped by a man also assumes Jon would win in the end which isn't a guarantee.

Martin has been pretty vocal about being puzzled by people who expect a happy ending for the story when the entire series has been filled with such shocking/jarring moments.  He could be setting the stage for an evil or crazy queen winning or he could just be full of **** too and wants to keep people guessing!