Major International Sporting Event Coming to Arena

3 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Tennis?

Nope. Davis Cup isn't played until November in Spain. Unless it's a one-off? But that would odd in the heart of the tennis season around the Rogers Cup and the Majors. 

Edited by JCon

Just now, Noeller said:
Canada’s men’s national basketball team will be playing Nigeria in a warm-up game in Winnipeg ahead of the 2019 FIBA Basketball World Cup in China, Free Press sources confirm. Game is set for Aug. 9. #wfp

Boring. 

Okay, maybe it will be good depending on who's playing. I guess my son will want to go. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

No friggin way,   the last event went over very poorly and from my sources it appears that the UFC won't be back for a very long time. 

Went over poorly with who?  Immediately after the event, UFC officials said they were very happy with the way things went.  They might not be back for a few years but that doesn't mean much.  There are a lot of places that aren't getting shows like they used to (look at Toronto & Montreal for example).

7 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Any rumours about the NFL game in August between the Raiders & Packers?

One month ago...

Packers president Mark Murphy told reporters at the league meeting in Arizona that his team is talking with the Raiders about playing a preseason game in Canada, and said potential locations include Saskatchewan and Winnipeg.

“We’re in discussions,” Murphy said, according to The Athletic’s Michael Cohen. “This would be the Raiders home game. Still kind of up in the air. But it’s a possibility that we would either play most likely in Saskatchewan or Winnipeg.”

Still seems to be leading our way. We all know how giddy muricans get when they pronounce Regina.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

2 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

One month ago...

Packers president Mark Murphy told reporters at the league meeting in Arizona that his team is talking with the Raiders about playing a preseason game in Canada, and said potential locations include Saskatchewan and Winnipeg.

“We’re in discussions,” Murphy said, according to The Athletic’s Michael Cohen. “This would be the Raiders home game. Still kind of up in the air. But it’s a possibility that we would either play most likely in Saskatchewan or Winnipeg.”

Still seems to be leading our way. We all know how giddy muricans get when they pronounce Regina.

It was announced weeks ago that Regina was out due to the Riders not wanting the game. It could go to Edmonton. 

2 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

There were NFL officials in Winnipeg a couple weeks ago looking at the facilities.

https://3downnation.com/2019/04/14/nfl-officials-visit-investors-group-field-in-winnipeg/

I'm supposed to have a knee replacement done in the next few months. It would be cool to go to this game if it is played in Winnipeg & I'm physically able. 

8 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Which is odd because Winnipeg was always along the top cities for UFC PPV views.  Was it just a bad event here?

It wasn't.  It was a fight night card that sold just under 9k tickets which was their 2nd biggest North American crowd that year (for fight night cards anyway).

The event went well, the card didn't get decimated by injuries and the fights (for the most part) delivered.

5 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Went over poorly with who?  Immediately after the event, UFC officials said they were very happy with the way things went.  They might not be back for a few years but that doesn't mean much.  There are a lot of places that aren't getting shows like they used to (look at Toronto & Montreal for example).

Ticket sales were extremely low and they had a massive amount of comps. Apparently the UFC was not happy at all with the low turnout.

UFC always spins everything in a positive light even when things are obviously not going well.

I never trust anything Dana White says it's all bullshit.