CIS Draft - May 2nd

Noeller

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

And yet his first moves were to bring in peirce and jyles, probably the best 2 free agent QBs, he was interested in Reilly but he was never coming here. He knew the importance of the position, it just didn't work out. Then he made mistakes at the head coach position twice and that was that.

There were other QB available to him after Buck went down. He chose to enter his final seasons with Brink and Elliott and that was a major mistake.

6 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Taman was much better than Mack overall.   But the one good thing about Mack is that he had the patience to suffer while we waited to have an upcoming stock of draft picks.  Probably it had more to do with thinking his Americans were better than cfl vets however he did turn the tide in this area and was able to hand over a team to the next gm which actually had draft picks on day one. 

Quite the legacy ha...  

4 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Taman would be one of the league's top GMs right now if it weren't for the internal SMS. He just never was able to grasp the concept and the game passed him by.

Fixed that for you...

Taman gets a raw deal - he got a bunch of vets to take pay cuts for another GC run...  

11 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He was a scout, I believe.

Mack's first experience in the CFL came in 1984 as the director of player personnel for the Blue Bombers. During his tenure in Winnipeg he supplied players for head coaches Cal Murphy and Mike Riley.[4] The Blue Bombers won their first Grey Cup in 22 years in 1984 and had an overall record of 46-21-1 during Mack's tenure there.

59 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Mack was a hell of a scout... We are bullshitting ourselves if we are pretending he didnt bring in a ton of quality American players. His downfall was 1. His inability to draft CDNs.. And the lack of QB. 

I actually disagree about the QB. Buck was still decent when he got here. The real problem for those teams were the Olines and the total lack of accountability. I've never seen a QB take such a beating, while at the same time seeing the Oline be so nonchalant about it. Someone even touches Nichols and Yoshi is there immediately, Chungh too etc etc. The guys Buck was playing with would often not even help him up. Used to drive me absolutely bonkers! Hated the way they played and the lack of attitude.

10 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I actually disagree about the QB. Buck was still decent when he got here. The real problem for those teams were the Olines and the total lack of accountability. I've never seen a QB take such a beating, while at the same time seeing the Oline be so nonchalant about it. Someone even touches Nichols and Yoshi is there immediately, Chungh too etc etc. The guys Buck was playing with would often not even help him up. Used to drive me absolutely bonkers! Hated the way they played and the lack of attitude.

Completely false...

Khan and Morley were not 'nonchalant' - just not quite good enough and Buck was shellshocked when he got here...

People are quick to mention Pencer and Ettienne and examples of Mack's draft busts, but I think Kris Robertson deserves some recognition as well. I'm pretty sure Mack drafted him 11th overall in 2013 based entirely on his 40 time. Don't think he even made it through a single training camp.

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

Fixed that for you...

Taman gets a raw deal - he got a bunch of vets to take pay cuts for another GC run...  

Idk about that, he missed out narrowly on bringing back Brian clark, geroy simion, arland bruce and more. 

What he did do though was capitalize on the folding of the renegades. 

His role in US scouting during the early 2ks along with Ritchies old vet pickups kept football in Winnipeg.

32 minutes ago, nate007 said:

People are quick to mention Pencer and Ettienne and examples of Mack's draft busts, but I think Kris Robertson deserves some recognition as well. I'm pretty sure Mack drafted him 11th overall in 2013 based entirely on his 40 time. Don't think he even made it through a single training camp.

Not that different from picking Addison Richards because he can run one route...

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

Not that different from picking Addison Richards because he can run one route...

Addison was tall, strong (something like 6'4 225?) and fast. (4.6 to the 4.5 of nic demski) He put up good numbers in college too iirc. I feel like that was the more reasonable of the bust picks. 

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

He’d only played parts of two seasons of football as anything but a kicker too.  For a fourth round pick would have been reasonable, not 4th overall when there were some really good receivers on the board.

I bet jon ryan had more reps at WR in college then jade. 

Taman was an average GM, some good years, some bad years. Did some excellent work with those early 2000 teams, although how much of that was Ritchie and how much was him is up for debate. Some was luck, if I recall it was Ryland Wickman's Dad who pushed him to bring in Blink and don't forget who the QB was on that tape with Blink (who we didn't look at). Chose not to bring back Geroy in 2001 because the team was playing well and he didn't know where to fit him in (Taman has stated as much). However good trades for Dave Mudge, Doug Brown, Alex Gauthier among others. Shitty job building an OL in 2002, 2003, 2004 which led to Khari's short peak.

4 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Taman was an average GM, some good years, some bad years. Did some excellent work with those early 2000 teams, although how much of that was Ritchie and how much was him is up for debate. Some was luck, if I recall it was Ryland Wickman's Dad who pushed him to bring in Blink and don't forget who the QB was on that tape with Blink (who we didn't look at). Chose not to bring back Geroy in 2001 because the team was playing well and he didn't know where to fit him in (Taman has stated as much). However good trades for Dave Mudge, Doug Brown, Alex Gauthier among others. Shitty job building an OL in 2002, 2003, 2004 which led to Khari's short peak.

You wouldn't have brought back Geroy, either, back then, based on who our receivers were...

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

You wouldn't have brought back Geroy, either, back then, based on who our receivers were...

Young receiver with upside, knowing that Bobby Gordon was 33 and I only had Bruce for one more year and all I had to do was cut Troy Mills which was a simple move since Roberts had begun to shown he could handle the lead back roll and we still had Eric Blount on the roster too, I think I would have. Fact remains Taman screwed up on this one.