CIS Draft - May 2nd

Noeller

14 minutes ago, wpgallday1960 said:

I wasn’t aware Corney retired due to injury concerns. I must have missed that discussion on here because I was surprised the Bombers didn’t try to re-sign him.  Now I know.

was there any discussion about what happened to Flanders?  I can't find anything anywhere.

16 minutes ago, wpgallday1960 said:

I wasn’t aware Corney retired due to injury concerns. I must have missed that discussion on here because I was surprised the Bombers didn’t try to re-sign him.  Now I know.

Not sure what his injuries were, but if you follow him on Instagram, you'd guess that he's training for Mr. Olympia or something (needs to work on his calves though).

31 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

was there any discussion about what happened to Flanders?  I can't find anything anywhere.

as far as I know, he's still with the team....

hmmmmm........I wonder if it was one of those things where they just never brought him back and nobody said anything. The fact that he shows up in the Twitter sidebar here always throws me for a loop...

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I don't think we needed another RB. Augustine is fine as a backup and I'd hope that we look for the best RB once Harris is done, not the best NI RB. I don't like Oliveira's speed, the fact he didn't go to the combine or that his mouth that writes cheques his talent can't cash ("Oliveira, who believes he should be the first overall pick in this year’s CFL draft"). I doubt we would have drafted him if he wasn't a home town pick.

I'd have picked Wilkinson INSTEAD of Eli. Less questions. Less potential downside. Played last year. Was at the combine. Was ranked higher in the draft. Is in football shape. Plays all 5 OL positions. Is smart (degrees in pre-law/philosophy and communications with a minor in business administration). Hasn't quit football.

Since Walters took over he's had 5 drafts, 2014-2018 (I'm not counting this draft because we have zero idea of what we have yet). He's drafted 3 all stars in that time frame and we lost all of them this off season. He had 4 busts (Ekakite, Corney, Richards, Waggoner). Woli is a bona-fide starter, we have some special teamers and we have a few guys who will get a chance to start this year.

Folks need to stop reading all my posts in an Eeyore voice. It's not that I only look at 5% of the positives, it's that there's no need to repeat the positives that others have already posted.

But but but that sort of thing makes the rest of us feel better. And Corney and Waggoner were good players for whom life took an unexpected turn.

1 hour ago, nate007 said:

Not sure what his injuries were, but if you follow him on Instagram, you'd guess that he's training for Mr. Olympia or something (needs to work on his calves though).

Corney's retirement is not official, Walters mentioned it in passing but Corney has never acknowledged it.  I wouldn't be surprised if he made a comeback after rehabbing his injuries, he's an athletic fanatic who's not likely to quit.  Could well be that he pursues a more lucrative career than CFL football to exploit his athleticism, he might become a gorgeous wrastler.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

26 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Corney's retirement is not official, Walters mentioned it in passing but Corney has never acknowledged it.  I wouldn't be surprised if he made a comeback after rehabbing his injuries, he's an athletic fanatic who's not likely to quit.  Could well be that he pursues a more lucrative career than CFL football to exploit his athleticism, he might become a gorgeous wrastler.

Could be, I don't think it was ever made official. He was listed as a FA for a long time on the CFL site.

He was coaching HS(?) track and field last offseason. 

Too bad, he was really turning the corner before he got hurt. 

3 hours ago, Booch said:

Corney was far from a bust...awesome special teamer and productive in his rotational reps...the fact that he hung up the cleats for injury/health concerns doesn't equate bust..you can never forshadow that and he never had injury issues in college..Waggoner as well...played great and could have stepped into the starting safety role as he had a better skill set than Loffler...but how can you tell after 3 years the guy is gonna go peddle online water stuff...you can't

In regards to Eli..it doesn't take much for a football O-line man to get back to football shape, unless they seriously went another direction and dropped 70 to 100 pounds, and from what I have heard he is same weight as when he played..plus or minus 5 to 10 pounds..so he has all the time leading up to, and during camp to get in "football shape" whatever that is as in these days, all players stay in football shape other than game wind but you can't get that until you start camp..so he is not behind anyone in that regard..I wouldn't be surprised he starts coming out of camp

They were certainly busts.

Corney was not a bust I'd put on Walters - these things just happen - but in terms of value received versus draft capital invested, we did not get the return we wanted.

Drafting players who retire can be considered a failure but not a bust. Etienne, Richards and Bad Faith Ekakitie were busts. That’s just bad preparation. Players with potential like Corney and Waggoner who were considered good prospects, fall under a different banner, with a toss of bad luck thrown in.

2 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Drafting players who retire can be considered a failure but not a bust. Etienne, Richards and Bad Faith Ekakitie were busts. That’s just bad preparation. Players with potential like Corney and Waggoner who were considered good prospects, fall under a different banner, with a toss of bad luck thrown in.

I feel like we tried to force some thing that wasnt there with etienne and richards. Faith seemed like a shot in the dark. 

Corney and waggoner atleast produced on some level and you could see the thought process. 

guys who are forced to quit due to injury, ones with no history of it, or ones who after 3 years decide to do other things after playing 3 full seasons..are not busts...sorry...Ekakite..Etienne..Pencer..Richards...those are busts in the draft process.

33 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I feel like we tried to force some thing that wasnt there with etienne and richards. Faith seemed like a shot in the dark. 

Corney and waggoner atleast produced on some level and you could see the thought process. 

I think the writing on the wall was there for Waggoner, he may have lasted as a ST player a bit longer but he couldn't crack the roster at WIL or Safety and that was on a fairly weak D at the time.

6 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I think the writing on the wall was there for Waggoner, he may have lasted as a ST player a bit longer but he couldn't crack the roster at WIL or Safety and that was on a fairly weak D at the time.

I dont agree, he had some good burn time at wil in his limited reps. I think he was on the verge, but probably would have topped out as a good starting NI lber. Hed still be like 28 or 29 now. So he'd just be getting into his prime. Certainly not as good as corney. Kind of falls into this NI tweener range. Not good / big enough for a starting Wil, large for a S. Jessie briggs range. 

That 16 draft was pretty riddled with landmines too. And we managed to have an excellent draft despite giving up the 1st in our bid for his rights. 

I think it's very telling if no other club expresses interest in aforementioned draft pics after their departures...The term 'bust' would obviously apply....Could any of them make a 'comeback', so to speak, after their release....History says most likely not  and crapshoot becomes the apt term for our draft

9 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I think it's very telling if no other club expresses interest in aforementioned draft pics after their departures...The term 'bust' would obviously apply....Could any of them make a 'comeback', so to speak, after their release....History says most likely not  and crapshoot becomes the apt term for our draft

Problem being we have absolutely no idea if any of them had any other clubs express interest.

6 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I think if they are cut and not in the next years camp with someone then you know you picked a dud. Someone, midseason will bring in a high pick bust just because you aren't going to find any other Nis any where else. 

IIRC the moes gave Tyson pencer a midseason look, and the riders took jade in a trade. And those guys, + faith were the poorest picks weve made in a long time. 

4 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Als brought Ekakiti in but promptly had a season ending injury.

So where is his career now.....So far, for the time he's played he looks like he fits the 'bust' category ...Is he still on Montreal's roster?