CIS Draft - May 2nd

Noeller

23 minutes ago, Noeller said:

So apparently the Samoan OL was a stud but told scouts he was done with football.... 

I think it was Forde on TSN1290 raving about this kid this morning? Says he got injured and that the CFL should have pushed his draft another year. Anyhow, could be a sleeper if he wants to play. 

When the audio is up, I'll post the link. So far, nothing on TSN1290. Not a surprise really, Toth was away and Westwood was horrible leading the discussion. 

What I love most about this draft, besides the players the Bombers picked, is the absolute conviction showed by Rider fans that they do not need more OL because they signed Shepley. Against all odds, they are dug in on this. Bravo! 

Also like that the Argos took Richards. I feel like that's a miss. 

Eli_Asotui

ASOTUI ELI
Offensive Line 
6-4 / 315

2017 (Junior):  Started 11 of 12 games at center…missed only game of the season at UNLV… list…key member of the line that helped UH to its best rushing average (168.2) in 22 years…had 22 knockdowns on the season…named to the preseason Rimington Award watch list for the second straight year…also named the Polynesian College Football Player of the Year Watch List prior to the season.
   * 2017 Game-by-Game Statistics

2016 (Sophomore): Appeared in 13 games...started first two games of the season at right guard...had nine starts at center...named to the preseason Rimington Award watch list...on preseason watch list for the Polynesian College Football Player of the Year...selected academic all-MW.
   * 2016 Game-by-Game Statistics

2015 (Freshman): Appeared in 12 games in the interior offensive line, starting 11 games at center and one at right guard...only missed the Louisiana Monroe (Nov. 28) game due to injury...one of only two freshmen offensive linemen in the Mountain West to start 12 games...graded out at 82 percent for the season, ranking third-best on the team...allowed only four sacks all season...totaled 40 knockdowns which ranked third-highest on the team...participated in 96 percent of offensive snaps of games he played (798-of-828), while missing most of the second half of the San José State (Nov. 21) game due to injury. 
   * 2015 Game-by-Game Statistics

2014: Redshirted...earned team’s offensive Scout Team Award.

Prep: A 2014 graduate of Kealakehe High School in Kailua-Kona, Hawai‘i…rated as the No. 17 prospect in the state of Hawai‘i by Scout…named to the 2013 American Family Insurance All-USA Hawai‘i Football team…Honolulu Star-Advertiser honorable mention all-state as a senior…all-Big Island Interscholastic Federation first-team selection in 2012 and honorable-mention pick in 2013 on the offensive line…named team’s Offensive MVP...served as a team captain...part of squad that captured back-to-back BIIF championships...also played on the defensive line…played club rugby for the Kona Bulls...helped lead Bulls to a state championship in 2012...invited to the U.S. Rugby U20 camp...an honor-roll student.

Personal: Born in Richmond, British Columbia, Canada...full name is Tavita Asotui Peter Eli...nickname is “Tui”...grew up in Samoa where his father is a tribal chief...major is family resources...has a brother, Misikopa, and two sisters, Leilani and Hannah...parents are Vaeluaga and Julianne Eli of Kailua-Kona, Hawai‘i.

Per Duane Forde, The "Ultimate Sleeper" of the draft and could have gone with the top picks, if he has not told scouts that he's done playing football. 

Our current brass is known to draft players who live & bleed football, so it's a little bit counter-productive when they pick this guy. 
But maybe they have already talked and convinced him to play again. It's interesting to see what will come out of this pick. 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

Naylor asked Walter's during the draft if they had info showing Eli wanted to play again. Apparently he does. We will see if he is still in football shape though. Could be the steal of the last 5 drafts. Potential starter in 5th round? Huge upside. Just needs to work out....and if it doesn't, no harm.

I was surprised they didn't take Ross there, thought he would have fit the system well. But if Eli turns out. It's a no brainer.

Wonder what went down with Wilkinson? Kinda odd to see that happen in the CFL draft. We'll see how well the teams have done this time next year, but I feel like it was a strong draft for the Bombers. Think its safe to say they are looking at starting a NI on the DL. 

23 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Naylor asked Walter's during the draft if they had info showing Eli wanted to play again. Apparently he does. We will see if he is still in football shape though. Could be the steal of the last 5 drafts. Potential starter in 5th round? Huge upside. Just needs to work out....and if it doesn't, no harm.

I was surprised they didn't take Ross there, thought he would have fit the system well. But if Eli turns out. It's a no brainer.

Wonder what went down with Wilkinson? Kinda odd to see that happen in the CFL draft. We'll see how well the teams have done this time next year, but I feel like it was a strong draft for the Bombers. Think its safe to say they are looking at starting a NI on the DL. 

I believe the answer was not a definite yes rather the Bombers already looked on to it ( Eli playing again )

pretty good draft this year...possibly could have 4 guys make the roster out of camp...really like the Kongbo pick..guys a beast..loves playing AND the big factor wants to be here and sign..he will be a perfect rotation piece this year with the Jeff's as he gets his feet wet in the CFL game...and Love the Asotui pick..a top 1-3 pick nabbed in round 5...doesn't take o-lineman much to get back to playing form and I am sure he has been still training and has most his size...most 6'4" 300+ pound Samoan's stay big anyway...so if the fire is there, combine him with our 4th pick..Gray..Speller and Couture and our young lineman pipeline is just fine.

Like the Olivera pick too...him and Augustine give us good depth now, and I wouldn't mind, or be surprised to see sets with one of them in the Backfield with Harris, or with Harris in a slot position at times...taking wear and tear off of him and also allowing him to be a mismatch as a receiver against defenses'

even with the injury..I think Kongbo was best player available in the draft..also I think that Tavita is the best o-lineman available, and now that he wants to get back playing....that was the steal of draft in the 5th round amazingly...a 3 year starter at a Div 1 school says something