CIS Draft - May 2nd

Noeller

1 minute ago, M.Silverback said:

The CFL draft is the toughest to predict in all of pro sports. So many factors to consider that other leagues just don't have because you are rarely picking the best player available, you're picking the best player available who will actually end up playing in the CFL. And even if they do, the question is when will they?

I think Hodge does an excellent job of covering CFL prospects and the draft. Also found his comments interesting about the Bombers not starting a national running back beyond Andrew Harris. As great has Harris is, in a ratio breaking position, it's a bit of a tough balancing act when you start a national running back. Chances are your back up is American, meaning you have adjust your ratio elsewhere if you have an injury. Not sure I'd want that problem as a GM or coach. Might be easier to have a stable of cheap US born running backs on my roster and practice roster. We'll have to see if that type of thinking impacts where this excellent group of national running backs eligible for the draft get picked. 

Well, I disagree that Hodge has much insight. Typically, I've found that he's misses the mark in terms of the teams moves and how players will settle in. He talks lots, that's for sure. 

Yes, the draft can be a crap shoot. Trades can't be predicted and a team's willingness to draft a player that may not play for a few years impacts everything. 

But my recollection is that Hodge typically gets the Bombers strategy wrong. 

I read that Hodge piece yesterday and found it to be way off. Why do people think our OL is going to be decimated by losing Goosen and Chungh?? We're FINALLY at a level where we can plug-and-play at multiple positions because we've been utilizing the Draft-and-Develop method to its full potential. What the hell has Michael Couture been doing the last few years if not getting ready for this exact moment?? This idea that we desperately need to draft OL is horseshit. Sure we'll take one early so we can re-stock the cupboard, but we don't desperately need a guy to come in and start like we did with Chungh. 

Hodge has never been accurate with his drafts.....the only one to watch is Dunk, who has a history of being extremely accurate in his mock drafts...

I’m happy if they decide to pull the trigger on Betts or Kongbo somewhere in the draft. Don’t see a lot of need, especially since I anticipate we only need 5 CDN starters this year.

Not seeing a huge need for OL but of course, it’d be a wise decision to pick at least one somewhere during the evening.

People outside of Bomber fans sites think that losing our best two NI OL in the same year is a problem. They think that replacing two all star NI OL with guys who have a couple of starts each or no starts depending on who wins the starters spots, is a big issue.

It's only around here that folks think last years backups will be as good as last years all star starters.

5 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

People outside of Bomber fans sites think that losing our best two NI OL in the same year is a problem. They think that replacing two all star NI OL with guys who have a couple of starts each or no starts depending on who wins the starters spots, is a big issue.

It's only around here that folks think last years backups will be as good as last years all star starters.

Only around here... Good grief. 

Only you think the Bombers will finish last in the CFL, somewhere behind the Schooners, Thunderbirds and Rifles because we lost two starters, even though we have very capable back-ups. 

Of all things, I would really hope that a Centre and RG would be easily replaced by guys that have been in the system for as many years as Foketi and Couture, not to mention if Geoff Gray is as good as advertised and wins the RG spot outright...

24 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Sorry, who give a ****?

17 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I don’t think folks around here think that at all. 

I believe folks believe that we’re finally in a position where we have trained replacements, instead of just replacements. It’s a step up from where we’ve been for a long time. 

Will they be just as good? Maybe not right away, 

BUT

having faith in your system seems to be what the Head Men believe,

SO

who am I to argue?

4 minutes ago, BBlink said:

It'll definitely be a test of our player development. That and Gray could be a step in and play type of guy like Chungh was

combo of Gray, Couture, Speller and Foketi to take Chungh and Goosen spots means I'm not even the least bit concerned...

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Only around here... Good grief. 

Only you think the Bombers will finish last in the CFL, somewhere behind the Schooners, Thunderbirds and Rifles because we lost two starters, even though we have very capable back-ups. 

What a bunch of hogwash. If you ever read anything I've typed, you'd know that wasn't remotely true.

Fair to say the OL will probably take a bit of a step back after losing Goossen and Chungh... they were both really, really good.  I don't expect Couture and Gray to immediately be at their level but at least Couture has been around for years already and Gray is an A+ prospect.  Speller and Foketi also provide some options.  It could be a lot worse.  I still expect us to take an OL at 4 or 5.

27 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Fair to say the OL will probably take a bit of a step back after losing Goossen and Chungh... they were both really, really good.  I don't expect Couture and Gray to immediately be at their level but at least Couture has been around for years already and Gray is an A+ prospect.  Speller and Foketi also provide some options.  It could be a lot worse.  I still expect us to take an OL at 4 or 5.

Well put. John Hodge, or anyone, suggesting that we should re-stock the Canadian OL shelf with one of the first round picks makes perfect sense. We did lose two Canadian all star OL. And, because of Kyle Walters' strategy of drafting OL, it looks like we will have capable players stepping into those spots. But, you should never stop drafting quality Canadians on the OL. Particularly if the CFL does change the ratio from 7 to 5 nationals. The two US players potentially stepping into the line up are not likely to be OL. CFL teams will always think OL first in terms of the ratio. Foolish not to. 

I really don't expect the ratio to change for this year.  I expect that it would be phased in over a period of time.  The teams have already committed a lot of cash to players believing that they needed 7 starting Canadians.  A number of teams would want to take a mulligan on free agency, if that is the case. 

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

So what you're saying is the people who can see the big picture surrounding the Bombers understand the depth we have at the position and believe we can get over losing people, while the people who don't follow the team as close and only do superficial analysis of the team over react at the loss of names because they are looking at the small picture. Gotcha.

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

Kongbo and Betts. 

I wonder how Kongbo's knee is doing? Dunk says he visited Calgary. 

Agreed, would like to see us pick one of either Kongbo or Betts for sure. We can afford to gamble. Especially because I don't buy into this idea of us needing a receiver like everyone says we do. Even if we want to start 3, I'd rather see us bring back Coates or try and scrap lower rounds for depth - we don't need to blow a first round pick on CDNWR5 when we have Demski, Wolitarsky, Simonise and Petermann.