CIS Draft - May 2nd

Noeller

Big news:

Two Canadian defensive backs, Malcolm Lee and Stavros Katsantonis moved to 2020 #CFLDraft following positive drug tests https://3downnation.com/2019/04/25/two-canadian-defensive-backs-moved-to-2020-cfl-draft-following-positive-drug-tests/  #UBC #USports #CFL

Hate the CFL policy on this.  Let them stay in the draft, suspend them.  Now they aren't in the draft and can't play CIS this season either.  I know they want a show of force in punishments but it's not like the prospect pool is all that deep.  Punish but at least allow these guys to have a shot at a career.

Considering the CFL's record on how they handle PED's it's kind of ironic they force the players out of the draft. Yet Quinn Smith & others were suspended by U Sports & it didn't matter. They were suspended from playing Canadian college yet the CFL didn't honour Smith's suspension. I know they have made changes since. Hard to believe also that Farhan Lalji believes a player he knows when he tells him he had no knowledge.  That I find hard to believe. My son played at SFU & he knew as well as the physicians & trainers on the team which drugs were banned & which weren't by the NCAA. 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Considering the CFL's record on how they handle PED's it's kind of ironic they force the players out of the draft. Yet Quinn Smith & others were suspended by U Sports & it didn't matter. They were suspended from playing Canadian college yet the CFL didn't honour Smith's suspension. I know they have made changes since. Hard to believe also that Farhan Lalji believes a player he knows when he tells him he had no knowledge.  That I find hard to believe. My son played at SFU & he knew as well as the physicians & trainers on the team which drugs were banned & which weren't by the NCAA. 

Well, Farhan says that they bought over-the-counter stuff and thought it was clean because it was sold over-the-counter. Apparently, they don't deny taking it. 

Being dumb isn't an excuse but maybe they really had no clue? They'll serve their suspensions and it will cost them a lot of money, relatively speaking. 

On 2019-04-26 at 8:31 PM, JCon said:

Well, Farhan says that they bought over-the-counter stuff and thought it was clean because it was sold over-the-counter. Apparently, they don't deny taking it. 

Being dumb isn't an excuse but maybe they really had no clue? They'll serve their suspensions and it will cost them a lot of money, relatively speaking. 

My son developed a pretty serious health issue his senior year at SFU where it required ongoing medication to control & 3 years later he is still on permanent medication to control it. Well, his doctor wanted to prescribe a certain kind of medication when it was first diagnosed but was unable to do so because that particular medication was on the NCAA banned substances (performance enhancing drug) list. Well, his physician tried other medications but they never  worked as well as the one banned would have so he was constantly changing things up trying to find something that worked. As a result, it affected his performance on the field & he didn't have as good a season in his senior year that he did in junior. Physically, he never felt 100% all season. He was stressed out all season & worn down physically. Had he been able to use the proper prescription he would have felt much better. It's crazy how the NCAA controls players to the point of putting their health in jeopardy. Today, he is on the prescription that was banned & feeling much better. That's why I find it hard to believe that a player claimed he didn't know he was taking a banned substance & Lalji just believes him.  The SFU doctors & training staff knew exactly what players could take & what they couldn't. 

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

My son developed a pretty serious health issue his senior year at SFU where it required ongoing medication to control & 3 years later he is still on permanent medication to control it. Well, his doctor wanted to prescribe a certain kind of medication when it was first diagnosed but was unable to do so because that particular medication was on the NCAA banned substances (performance enhancing drug) list. Well, his physician tried other medications but they never  worked as well as the one banned would have so he was constantly changing things up trying to find something that worked. As a result, it affected his performance on the field & he didn't have as good a season in his senior year that he did in junior. Physically, he never felt 100% all season. He was stressed out all season & worn down physically. Had he been able to use the proper prescription he would have felt much better. It's crazy how the NCAA controls players to the point of putting their health in jeopardy. Today, he is on the prescription that was banned & feeling much better. That's why I find it hard to believe that a player claimed he didn't know he was taking a banned substance & Lalji just believes him.  The SFU doctors & training staff knew exactly what players could take & what they couldn't. 

OTC pretty much implies he was taking it without recommendation from a training staff.

11 minutes ago, Mike said:

OTC pretty much implies he was taking it without recommendation from a training staff.

Yeah, agree with that about OTC but  football players know more than they let on, I believe. They all want to get bigger, stronger & faster. Some aren't prepared to put in the work in the weight room & will take shortcuts. When my son played for the Rifles back in 2009 & 10 he told me stories about the lengths some players went to avoid the random pee tests they were subject to. 

22 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Bombers at 5

Id love to end up with betts. Id be happy with one futures pick and one in camp this year pick out of our firsts. 

On 2019-04-26 at 9:31 PM, JCon said:

Yeah, they are in a tough spot. I feel like the ruling has a negative impact on the league and the player. I'd rather see these kids play and develop. 

I would treat it like a first offense for a player in the league. Automatic 2 game suspension. Suspend them for the preseason, and the first 2 games. Let them go to camp and practice. Maybe even put a limit on when they can be picked. So if you pop you can't go in the first 2 rounds. 

44 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

So is there a good chance Betts lasts until us? I'd like to first round of say Betts at #4 and an OL at #5.

I'd like to see a top flight O Line guy at 4 and Betts at 5............we could mess that up though.................................

Id go BPA at 4... 

BPA at 5...

If Betts is there at 4.. You almost have to take him.  It would be dumb to not take him. Bombers i think are in a spot where they can take a flyer on a guy who they might not see soon if ever. 

Edited by Goalie

4 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The only reason to take Betts in the first round is cap space, and if that's an issue I'd rather trade the pick for future picks.

I'd say Betts is 75/25 to never play in the CFL.

That’s way better odds than any undrafted rookie gets. And why had that been? 

I wouldn't... but I think Bombers take him at 5...  look at the Geoff Gray gamble... it worked.

OL and Betts

Then another OL or DL in second round...

Round three - I'd grab whoever has dropped - like Kongbo, Richards, etc - whoever people are 'overthinking'

Round four - Special teamer

Bombers will benefit from two first-round picks in Thursday’s CFL draft

By John Hodge -  April 30, 2019

Some highlights... 

All four one, one four all

It’s a safe bet that the Bombers will use the fourth overall pick in Thursday’s draft to address the offensive line. Sukh Chungh is a member of the B.C. Lions, Matthias Goossen is a police officer, and Arnaud Gendron-Dumouchel — the club’s fourth-round pick from last year — retired after suffering a devastating ankle injury with the Carabins.

Clearly, the club needs an offensive lineman.

What about Brady?

Brady Oliveira has been a hot topic of conversation among Bomber fans on social media, as are most highly-touted local products come draft time.

I don’t believe the Bombers intend on starting a national running back beyond Andrew Harris’ tenure with the club. That said, I still think Oliveira would make a great addition to the team. He could be a beast on special teams — people often forget Jon Cornish had 43 special teams tackles over his first three seasons with the Stampeders — and a versatile piece on offence.

I won't post the whole article so that 3Downnation gets the clicks. 

Honest question, does Hodge EVER predict what the Bombers will do correctly? My recollection is that he's usually way off. 

44 minutes ago, JCon said:

Honest question, does Hodge EVER predict what the Bombers will do correctly? My recollection is that he's usually way off. 

The CFL draft is the toughest to predict in all of pro sports. So many factors to consider that other leagues just don't have because you are rarely picking the best player available. You're picking the best player available who will actually end up playing in the CFL. And even if they do, the question is when will they?

I think Hodge does an excellent job of covering CFL prospects and the draft. Also found his comments interesting about the Bombers not starting a national running back beyond Andrew Harris. As great has Harris is, in a ratio breaking position, it's a bit of a tough balancing act when you start a national running back. Chances are your back up is American, meaning you have adjust your ratio elsewhere if you have an injury. Not sure I'd want that problem as a GM or coach. Might be easier to have a stable of cheap US born running backs on my roster and practice roster. We'll have to see if that type of thinking impacts where this excellent group of national running backs eligible for the draft get picked. 

Edited by M.Silverback