Avengers: Endgame Spoiler Thread

Logan007

8 hours ago, Logan007 said:

It was good.  Overall I enjoyed Inifinity War more, but I did enjoy how they really delved into what was going on.

• Lots of little "plotholes" like, why couldn't Stormbreaker just blow through Thanos like it did in Infinity War when he was blasting the whole power of the Infinity Gauntlet at it (could probably explain that away by him being out of shape). 
  • Why can Captain Marvel wipe out his ship, and at one point pretty much handle him without issues but at another point Thanos easily defends himself against her power. 
  • Why does Rocket's head look bigger then Thor's when he's talking to him on Asgard lol.  It's like Rocket grew a bit or something then shrank back down (this one is more of a joke).
  • The one thing that really bugged me was Steve staying in the past.  They said at the beginning that they can't really change the past.  Yet he stayed there and married Peggy.  So he basically made it that she never married that other guy and never had the other kids that she had with that guy.  So they did change the future.  Time travel...bleh.  Never really a fan of it because something always never makes sense.
  • And yes, the whole thing with Peter and his buddies with it being 5 years later.  I mean, yeah, half the population of the earth disappeared, so I guess it's possible.  I mean there's really only like, 5 of them.  Liz, MJ, Ned, Flash and Peter.  So it's believable.

But overall it was really good.  Loved all the jokey moments that you guys pointed out.  The whole "who's leader" at the end had me rolling.  So I guess Thor will be in the next Guardians movie.

I know what you all mean about Falcon being Cap.  Not sure how they'll handle that, unless they Super Soldier him up.  Not sure that would work in the story line though.

So much to process.

***OK, DON"T READ ANY OF THIS IF YOU HAVEN"T YET SEEN THE MOVIE. THERE'S YOUR SPOILER WARNING FOR THIS POST***

Re: plot holes -

1) Stormbreaker not working as well this time - I've had some one else raise the same question, can't come up with a valid explanation, except maybe Thanos' sword (made by the same Dwarf Eitri) could counteract Strombreaker (which Thanos did not have in Infinity War when Thor stabbed him). Actually just thought of that explanation as I was typing this, so yah, let's go with that!

2) The first time Captain Marvel fights Thanos in Act 1, he has been severely weakened by the using the stones a second time to destroy themselves - he even says it almost killed him - so he is easy to subdue .The second time she fights him he has the gauntlet (and remember how he handled Thor and Hulk at the start of Infinity war without the full power of the gauntlet, so he is very strong on his own), and she is more about preventing the snap, so the difference in his fight power can be explained that way. And he needs the power stone to fight back against her at the end.

3) Not sure what is up with Rocket's head, but he is a talking raccoon, so in the grand scheme of suspension of disbelief, I can overlook a bigger than normal cranium on a rodent. 

4) The whole time travel paradox always wrecks movies for me when I start to think too much about it. They try to explain it away here with "all previous time travel movies are wrong, so don't get caught up in trying to kill baby Thanos, because the past is unchangeable and we have multiple alternate realities" summary (I need to see the movie again just for Ant Man's speech about "changing the past doesn't alter our present by making a new future - got lost halfway through that logic and don't recall how it goes). My problem is why they need to return the stones to the exact moment they took them (I remember the Sorceress saying that while the new reality can be corrected, her past reality will then go in a different direction, changing her version of the future) if taking them in the past does not alter their own future. Once Loki steals the Tesseract in 2012 and Cap fights himself, and reveals to past Cap that Bucky is alive, AND faking out Hydra, then that whole timeline changes and Winter Soldier would take on a whole new dynamic. And if past Thanos travels forward from 2014 and dies in the present (2023?), then he isn't around to snap in 2018 .And Nebula killing her own 2014 self in 2023 would erase 2023 Nebula, no? But if not, then why the necessity to return the stones? This is the "Terminator problem" all over again (not for this post, but p.m. me if you want that problem explained).

5) Yah, unless Peter's entire class got wiped out in the snap and came back without aging (like Ant Man in the quantum realm), then some would have graduated a while ago. May have been cleaner to erase the past 5 years, but then Thanos and all the bad guys are still alive (unless Iron Man wills it as part of his wish), just no snap. And keeping Iron Man alive by just erasing the past 5 years then presents the problem going forward of why he isn't around to protect the world from future conflicts.

Other stuff - so what happened to Gamora? Was she so repulsed by the thought of dating Quill that she fled the battle? Did she feel she was responsible for working with Thanos and exiled herself? They really left that whole part hanging out there. Oh well ,I'll wait for Guardians 3 and they might explore her motives there.

Funeral scene - missed seeing Maria Hill, although I 've been assured she was there. I got fixated on the random unidentified teenage kid they showed after Hawkeye and his family, only found out later it was the kid from Iron Man 3 who Tony leaves the garage full of stuff for, so I may have missed her while trying to place his face. But after they show the kid they pan to General Ross (William Hurt) and what I thought was a blond woman. Was that Hill, or someone else? And if someone else, who?

Also, fun trivia from that scene - has any movie ever had that many Oscar winners (and nominees) in one shot?

Also read that Captain's "Hail Hydra" fakeout in the elevator was a nod to the comic book issue where Captain really DID turn and had been a secret Hydra agent, poking fun at the fan-boys who freaked out at the turncoat storyline (the comic book writer got actual death threats for introducing that plot twist) by making it an ironic false trail to fool the agents in the movie.

Other Easter eggs:

(a) When Thor approaches Captain Marvel and summons Stormbreaker and she doesn't flinch (in the trailers, where he says "I like this one'), you can hear a whisper that says "telepathy". Can Captain Marvel read minds?

(b) At the end of the credits, you hear a very faint hammering sound, which most believe is the sound of Tony building the original Iron Man suit in the cave in the first movie. Tne theatre staff was trying to kick everybody out saying "no end credits scene",  but a neat final moment

And lastly, audience reaction: 4 loud cheers/claps in the final act from my theatre: 1) when everyone returns through the mystic portals, more precisely just as Black Panther nods to Cap and just before Cap says "assemble", 2) Cap wields Mjolnir (biggest cheer by far), 3) the female Avengers all assemble and stand behind Captain Marvel to protect her, 4) "I am Iron Man".

Wondering how other theatres reacted.

As I recall, Cap had to return the stones to right the time line.  Banner was shown that removing a stone created an off shoot time line. Only returning the stones at the moment they were taken would right the time line

Which is also why, I assume, Cap could stay and grow old in the correct timeline.  Once he returned the stones, there was only one timeline. 

Watched it again last night. Cleared up some stuff for me. First, the funeral. Turns out there was no blond lady next to Ross, and I spotted Hill this time. Was always aware of Captain Marvel on the stairs. Guess I was so thrown by the unrecognizable kid from Iron Man 3 that I started seeing things. 

As for the time travel stuff, the writers kind of went both ways on it. First they say that there is no such thing as going into the past and altering the present (the past becomes your new future, and your present is now your past) but later The sorceress says the Infinity Stones create the concept of the flow of time, so taking away a stone will create a split branch in time (which WOULD be altering the future by changing an event in the past) so I guess we have to accept that time is always moving forward, and going into the past does not change that event and everything going forward in that time reality, but going back into the past now becomes a current event in your current reality. Basically multiple realities. But the Stones don’t play by those rules so they need to be returned to avoid a split in the time reality. I think it’s just a way to say “we can’t change the past, an undo snap isn’t like the original snap never happened, it’s like we are creating a world where we create, rather than destroy, half of all living things, it’s just that those things are the same things that were destroyed last time. Also a convenient way to justify killing certain characters and not allowing them to be re-created by the Stones at some future point. Or as Deadpool said “Well, that’s just lazy writing”

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

So I read something from Joe Russo regarding the Cap time travel thing.

So Cap, after he went back in time to live with Peggy, created a different timeline for himself.  So the timeline that he lived in was different then the main timeline.  He used the Pym particle quantum travel band to get back to his timeline and give Falcon the shield in the end.

12 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

So I read something from Joe Russo regarding the Cap time travel thing.

So Cap, after he went back in time to live with Peggy, created a different timeline for himself.  So the timeline that he lived in was different then the main timeline.  He used the Pym particle quantum travel band to get back to his timeline and give Falcon the shield in the end.

So the Pym particle is their sonic screwdriver. Got it.

20 hours ago, Noeller said:

Biggest pop in our theatre was for Spiderman first appearance in the film, as Strange opens up the portals to let everyone back in. Lotta love for ol Pete... 

Cap wielding Mjolnir and smacking Thanos around with it was the biggest in mine. But a lot of that may have been me making noise. 

51 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Cap wielding Mjolnir and smacking Thanos around with it was the biggest in mine. But a lot of that may have been me making noise. 

I actually laughed out loud when Lebowski Thor says "I KNEW IT!!" as Cap picks up the hammer...

• 2 weeks later...
On 2019-04-30 at 3:03 PM, Noeller said:

I actually laughed out loud when Lebowski Thor says "I KNEW IT!!" as Cap picks up the hammer...

I laughed out loud when Stark referred to Thor as Lebowski- that was my favourite hat tip of the movie... it was a thing of beauty. 

Good easter egg and break down of End Game:

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

• 2 months later...
On 2019-04-25 at 9:39 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

It was really good. Not great. But I’m also not a big marvel nerd (I say that affectionately)

Torrent Tuesday!

On 2019-04-26 at 10:31 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

t really is a 3 act story with set up, execution of the set up, then final act payoff.

First hour is like 5 years later...still sad...and repeat...and repeat.

On 2019-04-28 at 8:44 AM, tacklewasher said:

Was surprised how little Captain Marvel was used. She was in so many trailers and then gone most of the film. I thought they would do more with her and Thor.

Thank Jebus! Hate Captain Marvel. She's like Superman with Care Bear colours all around here. Least Superman had a weakness. BTW, her movie was also weak.

On 2019-04-28 at 10:41 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

I was told you had to see her film before endgame which I didn’t and I don’t know what I might have missed.  

I was impressed with so many stars doing cameos. 

Didn’t like Falcon as new Cap. Makes no sense. Can he even throw that shield?   

Keeping the five year jump seems a bit tough.  Like we’re to believe everyone involved in Spider-Man were dusted so came back five years younger?   Might have been better to come back at the moment of the original dusting.

Didn't miss much with Marvel. Luv the cameos...REDFORD! FalconCap makes no sense...agreed!

Yeah so Pete and all his HS characters got vaped. What are the odds? Same as Hawkeyes family getting vaped I guess.

I'm glad they did not do a full reset. Would have preferred none. Too cruel?

On 2019-04-28 at 10:21 PM, wbbfan said:

Yeah, they did the time travel great. It bugged me a bit that they didn't just go back to get more Pym particles, and they didn't close the time travel door at all.

Didn't they take enough? Could always make more, he's still kicking.

Oh the whole time travel thing is confusing. I still cant figure out how they got all the stones. Thought they were getting only 3?

On 2019-04-29 at 8:24 AM, Logan007 said:
  • Why does Rocket's head look bigger then Thor's when he's talking to him on Asgard lol.  It's like Rocket grew a bit or something then shrank back down (this one is more of a joke).
  • So I guess Thor will be in the next Guardians movie.

Rocket did seem bigger at times.

Well they rolling Thor 4 so I guess he will not be in GotG3

On 2019-04-29 at 8:41 AM, JCon said:

So, Spiderman's European Vacation takes place right after Infinity War. PP is just back after five years of being away, the whole world is adjusting to the new-new reality, and off the school goes on a trip to Europe? Hmmm. 

Well with all the money the parents saved on food and clothing for the last 5 years...school it is!

On 2019-04-29 at 5:23 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

Funeral scene - missed seeing Maria Hill, although I 've been assured she was there. I got fixated on the random unidentified teenage kid they showed after Hawkeye and his family, only found out later it was the kid from Iron Man 3 who Tony leaves the garage full of stuff for, so I may have missed her while trying to place his face. But after they show the kid they pan to General Ross (William Hurt) and what I thought was a blond woman. Was that Hill, or someone else? And if someone else, who?

(b) At the end of the credits, you hear a very faint hammering sound, which most believe is the sound of Tony building the original Iron Man suit in the cave in the first movie.

How did Cap wield Mjolnir?  Also after Thanos attacks the building how did he change clothes so quick?

Interesting tidbit about the hammering sound. Thought maybe Loki building his own Mjolnir.

On 2019-04-30 at 8:31 AM, Logan007 said:

Hill was right before they showed Fury.

Outside of CA:TWS I don't recall her much. Coulson not been seen in the movies since they "killed" him off.

It's 4/4 for me. I think I like A3 more so. What do they do now? This was a 11 year show with not many bumps in the road.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg