Trouba Trades

Floyd

29 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

But on the other hand Myers said last summer there were no contract talks.

On 1290 today LeBrun said the Jets would like to talk with Myers once  they clear some other pieces up (i.e. Trouba).   They definitely are interested in bringing him back.   My guess he signs 6 years at 6 million...

Well that’s an underwhelming return for Trouba. That feels like a deal that could have been done in panic late Thurs night, not the Monday before the draft. Sure doesn’t seem like we tried very hard to maximize return. Where’s Trouba’s long term extension, should have been agreed to as part of trade. 

A bottom pairing D and our own draft pick back? Hope they don’t strike out again and do that $6 x 6 for Myers. That combo would be Chia level bad. 

I feel like Jets fans are going to miss #8 more then they realize. I also feel like teams should stop drafting Overhardt clients. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Well that’s an underwhelming return for Trouba. That feels like a deal that could have been done in panic late Thurs night, not the Monday before the draft. Sure doesn’t seem like we tried very hard to maximize return. Where’s Trouba’s long term extension, should have been agreed to as part of trade. 

A bottom pairing D and our own draft pick back? Hope they don’t strike out again and do that $6 x 6 for Myers. That combo would be Chia level bad. 

I feel like Jets fans are going to miss #8 more then they realize. I also feel like teams should stop drafting Overhardt clients. 

...Trouba wouldn’t talk extension before trade, so I guess Chevy’s hands were tied. 

Screw Overhardt..

Looks like Trouba wasn't willing to negotiate an extension, which means Chevy couldn't get much in return.

They must have thought he was going to be a distraction this year, so they just moved on. 

But Poink and 1st round 20th overall is very underwhelming. 

So Lemiuex and Trouba for Hayes and Poink. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

What worries me about an Ehlers trade, beyond giving up a very good player on a very good contract, is that he's so close to Laine. Not a good reason to not make a move but we're trying to convince the kid to stay long term and trying to deal his Jets BFF. 

What worries me about an Ehlers trade is how it will effect Goalie cause that would leave us with KConn :D

I would have thought the team that would offer the most was Detroit since that's his hometown and his gf still there I think. DET's first would have been nice.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

I can not, for the life of me, understand why the Jets would actively try and trade one of their best players on one of their best contracts right now........ I mean, if someone calls and offers you the world, that's one thing. But to actively SHOP Ehlers around? Why on earth......?

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I can not, for the life of me, understand why the Jets would actively try and trade one of their best players on one of their best contracts right now........ I mean, if someone calls and offers you the world, that's one thing. But to actively SHOP Ehlers around? Why on earth......?

Cap space. It's probably why they took a cheaper D-man from the Rangers. They have a long list of players to sign, so getting an excellent return for him might be good. They can restock a bit and fill a need. 

I still don't like it. 

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Just now, JCon said:

Cap space. It's probably why they took a cheaper D-man from the Rangers. They have a long list of players to sign, so getting an excellent return for him might be good. They can restock a bit and fill a need. 

I still don't like it. 

Cap space or his streaks of non-performing including playoffs.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/the-jets-really-biffed-it-on-jacob-trouba/ar-AAD3UYN?ocid=spartanntp

The Jets Really Biffed It On Jacob Trouba

Let’s stipulate that the Jets had to trade Jacob Trouba. The 25-year-old defenseman had made it quite clear that he had no intentions of signing an extension in Winnipeg, and the Jets had no intention of paying what it would cost to keep Trouba when he becomes an unrestricted free agent next summer—likely somewhere north of $7M per over seven years. For the Jets, it was: move him now, or perhaps at the deadline, or lose him for nothing. That necessity dinged the Jets’ leverage a bit, but after trading Trouba to the Rangers on Monday, they sure seem to have gotten robbed even by those low standards.

The Rangers acquired Trouba for 23-year-old blueliner Neal Pionk—like Trouba, a right-handed shot, though a much lesser player—and the 20th overall pick in Friday’s draft. That 20th pick was the Jets’ originally, sent to New York for Kevin Hayes at the deadline, so from one angle, that’s Trouba and Brendan Lemieux for Pionk and two months of Hayes. From either angle, it’s a steal for the Rangers—Trouba, coming off a 50-point season, immediately slots in on their top pairing.

Trouba was the best D-man on the trade market, and at one point not too long ago there were a reported dozen teams interested in his services. With a bidding war like that, the Jets should have been able to get more of a haul. But according to a report from the New York Post’s Larry Brooks, Winnipeg inexplicably torpedoed the market for Trouba.

The Jets, though, refused to give Trouba’s camp permission to talk to interested parties. Absent relative certainty of a contract agreement with the defenseman, who is a year away from unrestricted free agency, clubs dropped out. The price thus went down[.]

Since other teams couldn’t know for sure whether Trouba would sign an extension in a new destination, the Jets self-defeatingly turned him from a cornerstone acquisition into a one-year rental, with a corresponding drop in what teams were willing to offer. But players and agents have ways of conveying their intentions, and the Rangers, smack dab in a rebuild, will have plenty of money and plenty of enthusiasm for signing Trouba long-term. There’s not an observer who thinks that extension won’t get done in New York.

With the bargain they found in Trouba, the Rangers appear to have turned the corner on their rebuild—so publicly announced a year and a half ago—from stockpiling assets to turning them into actual talent. The Rangers still have a lot of assets, including the No. 2 overall pick which will be used on Kaapo Kakko, and a pair of second-rounders, plus a whole host of youngish players that could be pretty attractive in trade packages. GM Jeff Gorton has been praised for collecting assets, but that’s generally the easier half of the equation. Landing Trouba is a heck of a start on the harder part, and a sign that the Rangers’ timeline could be accelerating—it’s not hard to project them contending again as soon as 2021.

So was this all about screwing over Trouba and his ****-for-brains agent?  I hope not as that's just bad business.  I don't get it, why not let teams talk to Trouba and get a deal done?  Instead we get this crap deal instead?  Is Chevy slipping?  Or is there more to the story?

Sounds like hes intent on going UFA. Ppl need to remember here.. This guy wants to be close to his girl in Florida, thats where shes going to school. I think the return is underwhelming because Chevys hands were tied here a bit... Maybe he gets his money from the Rags but i dunno... But it sounds like there were only a couple teams he was willing to be traded to. Ppl will say he has no say where... Sure but this is a player who did sit out a bit already so if he was traded to lets say Arizona and he didnt want to play there he could sit out the year, play in Europe then be UFA next July 1st. Pure speculation on my part but...im guessing that played a role.