2019 NHL Playoffs

Upsets, I see Upsets everywhere

In the West conference I pretty much see every away team winning the first round IF Ben Bishop is back. Not really sure if VGK would be an upset tho.

In the East TPA, WSH, BOS should win but there's something about Don Cherry's favorite team Carolina. Pitt's experience should beat the Isle.

The real fun series will be CBJ/TPA. CBJ is my dark horse.

56 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Upsets, I see Upsets everywhere

In the West conference I pretty much see every away team winning the first round IF Ben Bishop is back. Not really sure if VGK would be an upset tho.

In the East TPA, WSH, BOS should win but there's something about Don Cherry's favorite team Carolina. Pitt's experience should beat the Isle.

The real fun series will be CBJ/TPA. CBJ is my dark horse.

Biggest upset Avs take out the the Flames.

15 hours ago, Floyd said:

Jets, Nashville, VGK, Colorado

Boston, Tampa, Washington, Pittsburgh 

VGK, Colorado

Boston, Tampa

Tampa, VGK

I think that makes sense...

Vegas would play Colorado in the 2nd round. Same with Boston and Tampa. They can’t meet in the Conference final. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

Calgary - Colorado

San Jose - VGK                                   Calgary - San Jose

San Jose - Winnipeg
Nashville
- Stars                                  Winnipeg - Nashville

Winnipeg - St. Louis

Edited by JCon

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Blues in 6.  But...if Jets find their game, they could have an easier time to the conference finals then last year I think.  Finals would be tough again...but Ill take it.  

If we survive the first round, I'm not sure we'll have the gas to get through much further. I'm picking them to the Stanley Cup Final but that's just the homer in me. 

(I'll also be taking the Bombers to win it all, no matter what)

13 hours ago, Floyd said:

Jets, Nashville, VGK, Colorado

Boston, Tampa, Washington, Pittsburgh 

VGK, Colorado

Boston, Tampa

Tampa, VGK

I think that makes sense...

Stl, Dallas, SJ, Colorado

Boson, Tampa, Wash, NYI

STL, SJ

Tampa, Wash

Sti/Tampa

Tampa

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Calgary - Colorado

San Jose - VGK                                   Calgary - San Jose

***San Jose - Winnipeg***
Nashville
- Stars                                  Winnipeg - Nashville

Winnipeg - St. Louis

Prior to the regular season starting, I had this as my WCF matchup. I'm still confident in the Pacific representative but not so much for the Central one. I hope the Jets prove me wrong and end up there. They'll need to be way better than they have been the last 20-25 games, though.

This is more a wish list. I hate betting when my heart is involved, and I want to believe that the Jets are just coasting to save their energy rather than the media speculation of a fractured locker room. So don't hold me to these picks

Calgary over Colorado, don't think it will be that close, even though I haven't been sold on the Flames' goaltending all year..

Vegas over San Jose, Fleury will outplay Jones. Both buildings will be ridiculously loud.

Winnipeg/St. Louis a lot depends on who wins the first game and how the score looks. The Jets' psyche, even if only half as fragile as the media and doom-saying fans right now, needs a jolt of confidence, and the Blues belief in their savior goaltender may falter if playoff pressure gets to him. Imagine the headlines in either hometown paper if their team loses the opener 5-1. I think the Jets have the talent to overcome the Blues and their own demons, but they will be pushed. Right now the way the "experts" are talking, the Jets winning would be the upset, and isn't this a massively talented underdog if that is the case? Maybe being dismissed is the best thing for them.

If there is a juicy upset in the first round, it's Dallas and their sudden interest in defensive hockey beating Nashville. Both Calgary and Winnipeg really struggled against the Stars' trap game this year, right now the low seed no one would want to face. Logic says Nashville will prevail, but the Stars are my dark horse to get to the Conference Finals at least if not the Stanley Cup, depending on who they draw each round. 

The Blue Jackets aggressive trade deadline moves make for a compelling story, now that they snuck into the playoffs. Wouldn't it be neat to see it all come together and re-invigorate the "all in" mentality of trade deadline day for future teams if they were to make a run to the Conference Finals? If it was another match-up, I might buy into this fairy tale scenario. Then I realize they are playing the Lightning. Tampa will blow by Columbus.

Boston over Toronto - again. The Leafs will find some way to steal a few games and make their fans believe they are going to win, before a spectacular choke job - again. The fans will mourn saying they gave it away when really they were always the inferior team - again.

Washington/Carolina - I think the defending champs get at least to round 2 in their title defence, but I can't think of a better storyline in this year's playoffs than the "bunch of jerks" getting to create a whole lot more "storm surge celebrations" in the playoffs. The upset I'm not betting will happen, but the one I'd most like to see for sure. Maybe they all put on gaudy Don Cherry suit jackets after a win and do the slow clap.

NYI/Pittsurgh - like the Blues and Jets, the lower seed is probably the favorite, and the "upset" will be if the higher seed wins. The Islanders have flown under the radar all year despite the best defence in the NHL, which is always a winning formula in the playoffs. Still, everyone who says you can't just flip a switch at playoff time has  not watched the Penguins the last decade. Not that they limp in, per se, but they find at least 5 extra gears come April. Take the Pens.

Round 2:

If going with my heart - Vegas over Calgary and Winnipeg over Nashville

If going with my head - Calgary over Vegas, Dallas already beat Nashville and will beat Winnipeg.

Tampa over Boston

Pittsburgh over Washington

Round 3:

Heart: Winnipeg over Vegas

Head/Heart: Calgary barely finds a way to solve Dallas (because a Tampa/ Calgary re-match would be much better hockey, so kind of a "heart" pick)

Head: The Dallas magic continues, as they get the perfect storm of opponents in each round that their trap-style frustrates the most.

Tampa over Pittsburgh

Finals:

Heart: Tampa outlasts the Jets in a fun 7 game final

Heart/head: Tampa handles Calgary in 6 decent games

Head: Tampa sweeps Dallas in a boring Final

Both of Pittsburgh's goalies are running around 920 save percentage... plus they still have a bunch of vets that turn it on in the playoffs...  they are my wildcard team in the east, VGK in the west - Stone/Fleury are on fire