Jets v Blues playoff who wins and why.

Mark F

apologies to Frosty. 

Thoughts on this series? I have no clue, but the Blues fans at HFboards are concerned that their goalie will return to his mean, and that the Jets are better at the hitting game, and with the man advantage.

Screen_Shot_2019_04_07_at_10.38.16_AM.pn

The one upside is that Winnipeg always raises its game against the Blues and against Nashville...

Jets need to take these first two games - Morrissey's return should be huge, need Buff back on the power play...

CSW

EHL

Copp-Lowry-Lindholm (Tanev)

Perrault-Little-Roslovic

I know its too much to ask of Maurice - but actually rolling four lines is the only way the Jets can win...

If I was doing a movie theme for this series I'd call it..

j6mdsyah3dmx6pb3wxyz.jpg

I have a theory these teams switched bodies in early January.

Stay with me on this one...the Blues were at the bottom of the league and the Jets were near the top and then SOMETHING happened. No one is sure what that something was but there was that accident at that medical lab where several people were killed.

I'm a fan but not a fanatic. Blues win.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

If I was doing a movie theme for this series I'd call it..

j6mdsyah3dmx6pb3wxyz.jpg

I have a theory these teams switched bodies in early January.

Stay with me on this one...the Blues were at the bottom of the league and the Jets were near the top and then SOMETHING happened. No one is sure what that something was but there was that accident at that medical lab where several people were killed.

I'm a fan but not a fanatic. Blues win.

I'm a fan and a fanatic.

Jets in six. Why? Players motivated to prove naysayers wrong. 

I don't know, best I could come up with.

My questions ...1.  will the Jets do any hitting?  2. Will the jets be first to the puck, like last season?  3. will the Jets stop taking stupid penalties?  

4. Will Jets stop stupid giveaways?  5. Can Laine do some scoring?

Edited by Mark F

I think the Jets dodged a major bullet not having to play Dallas in the first round. The Stars, like the Wild, employed a trap-style designed to clog the middle and slow down the feet of the Jets, which worked quite well. St. Louis (like Nashville and Colorado) played a more up-tempo style against the Jets this year, which suits Winnipeg. The success Winnipeg had against St. Louis this year was when they employed a run-and-gun style, and did not run into a hot goalie (Allen kind of stole the one game St. Louis won in a shootout).

The Blues win this series if their goalie continues to be white hot and they decide not to go toe-to-toe with the Jets offensively, but play a shutdown defensive style. The Jets win if their best players play their best - their talent exceeds that of the Blues. Hopefully they do flip a switch (after seeing them play they way they can against Nashville in the last month, part of me DOES believe the slump was more about letting their foot off the gas to rest for the big grind ahead).

I don't mind this match-up, but we sort of don't know what to expect from St. Louis, since they have transformed themselves completely since we last played them. Did they embrace a whole new style of defence-first play after firing their coach, or is it all about Binnington? I think he is due for a regression, now that he actually has some legitimate pressure and expectations on him.

Scoring the first goal of the game will be key for both of these teams, so they can then dictate what kind of game is played.

15 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Depends on Tanev playing. Perreault, Copp, Lowry, Roslo I'm not worried about.

Speaking of Tanev not sure what to make of the delayed news about his injury.

This is the classic playoff mentality of "don't leak any injury news". I don't see him returning for a while, but the club doesn't want to write him off just yet because the level of injury you play with in the playoffs is much higher, so they'll keep it as day-to-day, when it may well be more like week-to-week. Just a hunch on my part due to past experience. Probably has a break somewhere and they would consider a playing cast if desperate, but he is not 100% by any stretch. If it required surgery now, I suspect they would have said he's done for the year.

19 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Yeah this does bring the Jets to a grinding halt. Why can't they deal with this somehow?

If they had the answer they wouldn't have finished second in the division. One of the big things teams figured out about the Jets was pressuring them in their own end before they could wind up and clear their zone really threw them off. Passes off the mark a lot on the break out when feeling pressure. The Jets have a real problem in the second period when their bench is the far one, because they can't seem to get the puck super deep to complete the change and either get stuck on the ice for long periods when they can't get past centre to their bench, or get caught in a quick transition game while they are changing lines leading to an odd-man break, Hopefully Ehlers' return and his speed through the  neutral zone can assist their entry. Sami Niku might help too since he seems to have good vision and skating ability out of his own zone.

On paper the Jets are better, but there's all that intangible stuff which ends up meaning more in playoffs, and that's where I think the Jets lose. Having said that, if STL's goaltending all of a sudden disappears, things could change. It's not going to be a pretty series...

18 hours ago, Mark F said:

Yeah this does bring the Jets to a grinding halt. Why can't they deal with this somehow?

They do by dumping the puck in but most times not strong enough.

Case in point was the Canadians game where Carey Price was able to stop the puck almost everytime behind the net allowing the Canadians an easy exit out of their zone.

10 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

They do by dumping the puck in but most times not strong enough.

Westwood just said the Jets are "disorganized". 

I think he's right. Sometimes it looks like a real scramble. The second last game, just a scrambled mess.maybe from so many different players.

Ii think they over do  the D men going on offence. Or is that standard now?

Buff used to be doing that a lot, then last season, not as much. 

Edited by Mark F