Your *HATE* goes in here

bluto

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Yeah a lot of folks when they do want to hit the gas, don’t do it at the right time and it turns into a race you to the red light situation, which is no good either. 

What gets me the most is people who won’t use the middle lane to drive the speed limit. Going 10 under with no one in front of them, or unnecessarily braking when simply taking their foot off the gas will do.

Absolutely, 100% agree. However, the flip side to this and it also drives me insane (no pun intended) is the ones who believe the fast lane is go as fast as I want and get out of my way cuz its the fast lane.

So I'm doing 125 /130K to pass someone and someone rides my butt coming in at a much faster speed to get the hell out of the way cuz, you know, fast lane.  

14 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Absolutely, 100% agree. However, the flip side to this and it also drives me insane (no pun intended) is the ones who believe the fast lane is go as fast as I want and get out of my way cuz its the fast lane.

So I'm doing 125 /130K to pass someone and someone rides my butt coming in at a much faster speed to get the hell out of the way cuz, you know, fast lane.  

Agreed. Driving more than 5-10 over is unnecessary. Just follow the speed limit and the rules of the road 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

At least zipper merging is working 33% of the time as compared to 0% five or so years ago.   Same goes with people knowing how to drive on or off ramps.    So some progress in this province.   

Yeah I’ve noticed a lot of drivers finally getting the difference between merge and yield lately. 

8 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Yeah I’ve noticed a lot of drivers finally getting the difference between merge and yield lately. 

When I was in the States and also Ontario/Quebec this summer...  it was like 99% of the time people knew how to do both.   We still have a long ways to go in Manitoba. 

Having had kids go through driver training just a few years ago, I found that the education and testing was more rules based than skills based, and almost seems geared to “we will fail you a few times to collect fees” rather than “we will teach you how to drive well”.

My daughter did 4 tests, got three automatic fails for technical violations, including two situations where she got different instructions for the same maneuver, and was told she was wrong both times for doing what they told her. Last test she was on Chief Peguis and told to take the exit lane. She paused and the instructor (who had failed her once before) said “if you don’t get over as soon as the lane opens up, I will automatically fail you”. She said “I have to wait” and the instructor was going to fail her when a car roared by them on the shoulder, passing illegally on the right. My daughter had checked her mirrors and seen it coming. so she waited to avoid getting rear-ended. She passed (barely, said the instructor to me). Mentioned the incident and I snapped back “if the driver’s actions prevent the instructor from causing an accident with an improper instruction and no shoulder check from the passenger’s seat, maybe that should qualify as an automatic pass. Now, if it was an MPI training vehicle rather than her personal car, I would gladly have told her to follow your dangerous instructions and wreck your car”. No more critiques from the instructor after that. 

When my son tested later, he had a similar experience of automatic fails for minor flaws, so we hired a private instructor to train him for his final test and they drove him around the area where the test was going to happen, near Bison Drive. Took him to a weird school zone stop sign where there was a crosswalk beyond the stop sign and you had to stop twice before proceeding through the intersection. The instructor said “The instructors love to take students here and then fail them because no one really knows what to do in this zone, it’s badly designed”.  He passed the test and when he did the right maneuver at that tricky spot the instructor later said “I was waiting to see if you were going to fail in that place”.

I would much prefer a training system that teaches you to be a good driver rather than an obedient driver - the former is more valuable in promoting safety. 

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Having had kids go through driver training just a few years ago, I found that the education and testing was more rules based than skills based, and almost seems geared to “we will fail you a few times to collect fees” rather than “we will teach you how to drive well”.

My daughter did 4 tests, got three automatic fails for technical violations, including two situations where she got different instructions for the same maneuver, and was told she was wrong both times for doing what they told her. Last test she was on Chief Peguis and told to take the exit lane. She paused and the instructor (who had failed her once before) said “if you don’t get over as soon as the lane opens up, I will automatically fail you”. She said “I have to wait” and the instructor was going to fail her when a car roared by them on the shoulder, passing illegally on the right. My daughter had checked her mirrors and seen it coming. so she waited to avoid getting rear-ended. She passed (barely, said the instructor to me). Mentioned the incident and I snapped back “if the driver’s actions prevent the instructor from causing an accident with an improper instruction and no shoulder check from the passenger’s seat, maybe that should qualify as an automatic pass. Now, if it was an MPI training vehicle rather than her personal car, I would gladly have told her to follow your dangerous instructions and wreck your car”. No more critiques from the instructor after that. 

When my son tested later, he had a similar experience of automatic fails for minor flaws, so we hired a private instructor to train him for his final test and they drove him around the area where the test was going to happen, near Bison Drive. Took him to a weird school zone stop sign where there was a crosswalk beyond the stop sign and you had to stop twice before proceeding through the intersection. The instructor said “The instructors love to take students here and then fail them because no one really knows what to do in this zone, it’s badly designed”.  He passed the test and when he did the right maneuver at that tricky spot the instructor later said “I was waiting to see if you were going to fail in that place”.

I would much prefer a training system that teaches you to be a good driver rather than an obedient driver - the former is more valuable in promoting safety. 

If by good you are including training that involves being responsible, safe, alert and courteous, I'm with you on this.

18 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

If by good you are including training that involves being responsible, safe, alert and courteous, I'm with you on this.

Being skilled will make you more responsible and respectful of your behaviour and alert to others on the road, which will make you safer and lead to courteous actions, I believe. Just understanding the rules won’t help where you need to react to another rule-breaker to avoid a bad outcome, and maneuver safely where the rules are out the window in an unexpected situation. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Being skilled will make you more responsible and respectful of your behaviour and alert to others on the road, which will make you safer and lead to courteous actions, I believe. Just understanding the rules won’t help where you need to react to another rule-breaker to avoid a bad outcome, and maneuver safely where the rules are out the window in an unexpected situation. 

Yup, it's not what the rules are, it's how to apply the rules (or not) realistically in certain scenarios to maximize safety.

31 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Yup, it's not what the rules are, it's how to apply the rules (or not) realistically in certain scenarios to maximize safety.

Such as - realizing that the light is red - but it's slick. The other driver might not be able to stop. Avoided a fender bender last winter - because we were both on the same page. 

Growing up in rural MB, I was able to take my dad's old beater out after I got my license. It was winter and I went down snowy backroads, learning how a vehicle reacts on snow and ice. I'd rip around the driveway after a snowstorm before shoveling it. Get stuck, figure my way out and get stuck again. It was so much fun and I quickly learned how to drive in poor conditions and how to get out if I got stuck.