Game 81 : @ Rocky Mountain Breakdown

5 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I’m calling trouba as the locker room poison - he’s top dog on D since the collapse... ego prob got to him or he’s on the phone to Florida every day ha

Florida won't have any money after paying Bobrovsky and Panarin. ;)

Just now, JCon said:

Only if they can sign him to an extension. Won't be able to salary dump on the Jets. 

Maybe Huberdeau and their 1st? I dunno. There's talk they want Trouba. Keep in mind Florida has zero state taxes so 6 million there = 6 million. 

14 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Don't need to understand what it means to know its not good. I look at this chart and wonder how Maurice still has a job. 3 months of crap play.. Getting worse not better. 

Can’t fire a coach with one month left in the season...  morrissey and buff injuries are big factor too

but this really seems to correlate with the all star break...

Man.. The time of ice breakdown yesterday was just brutal. Csw double the ice of every one else. They were bad tho.. I don't get it. Also why did losing brandon tanev an ideal 4th line grinder make Maurice switch it all around.. Tanev getting hurt makes u **** with 3 lines but sucking since Jan doesnt? 

11 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Man.. The time of ice breakdown yesterday was just brutal. Csw double the ice of every one else. They were bad tho.. I don't get it. Also why did losing brandon tanev an ideal 4th line grinder make Maurice switch it all around.. Tanev getting hurt makes u **** with 3 lines but sucking since Jan doesnt? 

Thought Per Lindholm was okay. Kinda stood out couple times.

26 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Perrault and Roslo have been our two best players... so Maurice cuts them to 7 minutes...

Trouba with ALL the power play time - that's just nuts.

Ehlers-Hayes-Lowry with 11-12 minutes...

This all looks like a panicked coach...

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Concerned about where Buff's head is at. He got pissy about not getting PP time (he might be right to be, but that's irrelevant) and smashed a stick, then he gets out there in OT and fucks up. Super concerned about where he's at. 

A story from Noeller's youth:

I used to play a lot of fastball, growing up. Both windmill and orthodox (no windmill/slingshot). We had this guy on our team my whole life growing up that was super talented...big, strong, just an all around athlete. But he was really big on being the hero. One year, we had a pretty bad team...didn't win many games. We somehow put it all together against one of the best teams in the league and were cruising...winning going into the bottom of the last inning. This guy had been playing another position, but decided he wanted to pitch. We all agreed "No, the other guy is dominating right now...it would be stupid to take him out" but the guy says "if you don't let me pitch, I'm going to screw up on purpose out here...I'll let balls go by me, etc..." Just a really bad attitude...would sabotage the team if he didn't get his way. So, fine...we let him pitch.....and the other team just tees off on him. We end up losing the game. 

Now.......I'm not saying this story has anything to do with the Jets........I'm just saying................

Really hope Buff isn't being a diva over PP time...  He still had over 25 minutes last night, so he's getting plenty of ice.  That being said, why isn't he out there on the PP1?  At first, I thought Maurice was trying to ease him back in and not ramp up his minutes too quickly, but that's obviously not the case with over 25 minutes yesterday.  It's not like Trouba has been too good to replace.  I actually thought Niku should have had a look there.  I don't know....  There's a lot to question right now... And over the last couple of months.

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

Outlast them how?  They don’t seem to have killer instinct

Like they did against Nashville last year. The Jets are still a big physical team that can wear you down, especially with their offense sputtering, the longer they can drag out a series the better. 

3 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Like they did against Nashville last year. The Jets are still a big physical team that can wear you down, especially with their offense sputtering, the longer they can drag out a series the better. 

This is such a myth tho.. They are a skilled team being forced to play a grinding dump n chase cycle game. Jets might be tall i guess.. But not really... I don't know where this myth started...  Jets were a grinder team when Ladd was here but not since then.. 100 percent skill team playing a grinding game that dont work with skilled players.. Its not just the O that is sputtering since the start of the new year.. These guys cant make 2 passes in a row. 

Edited by Goalie

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Concerned about where Buff's head is at. He got pissy about not getting PP time (he might be right to be, but that's irrelevant) and smashed a stick, then he gets out there in OT and fucks up. Super concerned about where he's at. 

A story from Noeller's youth:

I used to play a lot of fastball, growing up. Both windmill and orthodox (no windmill/slingshot). We had this guy on our team my whole life growing up that was super talented...big, strong, just an all around athlete. But he was really big on being the hero. One year, we had a pretty bad team...didn't win many games. We somehow put it all together against one of the best teams in the league and were cruising...winning going into the bottom of the last inning. This guy had been playing another position, but decided he wanted to pitch. We all agreed "No, the other guy is dominating right now...it would be stupid to take him out" but the guy says "if you don't let me pitch, I'm going to screw up on purpose out here...I'll let balls go by me, etc..." Just a really bad attitude...would sabotage the team if he didn't get his way. So, fine...we let him pitch.....and the other team just tees off on him. We end up losing the game. 

Now.......I'm not saying this story has anything to do with the Jets........I'm just saying................

There is no question the only reason some of the players are here (Winnipeg) is because the coach let's them call the shots on the ice. There are very few players in the league who can get away with playing the full 2 minutes of a power play. 

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

This is such a myth tho.. They are a skilled team being forced to play a grinding dump n chase cycle game. Jets might be tall i guess.. But not really... I don't know where this myth started...  Jets were a grinder team when Ladd was here but not since then.. 100 percent skill team playing a grinding game that dont work with skilled players.. Its not just the O that is sputtering since the start of the new year.. These guys cant make 2 passes in a row. 

It's not a myth, just look at that first period last night, that is how the Jets have to play to have any success. They went back to their old bad habits in the 2nd and 3rd and it cost them. 

3 minutes ago, pigseye said:

It's not a myth, just look at that first period last night, that is how the Jets have to play to have any success. They went back to their old bad habits in the 2nd and 3rd and it cost them. 

I agree with this...so many other teams coaches have said that Winnipeg is a big, heavy team that is also fast...it's a dangerous combination when they're actually firing.

1 minute ago, pigseye said:

I don't think they went back on purpose. It really does seem that can't maintain that pace throughout the game, some of them are just plain gassed (and probably injured).

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I don't think they went back on purpose. It really does seem that can't maintain that pace throughout the game, some of them are just plain gassed (and probably injured).

They weren't even able to maintain it through the entire 1st period.  Yes, it was a great looking period.... Until about 3 minutes left, when it became a shooting gallery in our end.

I heard this guy, Travis Yost, on the radio a couple days ago...  Here's the article he wrote on the Jets:

https://www.tsn.ca/the-jets-appear-fundamentally-broken-1.1285071

4 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

It started right from their own end out in the 2nd and 3rd, just bad decisions with puck and don't even get me started on Hellebuyck handling the puck, they guy is simply the worst puck handler I have ever seem from a professional goal tender. The collective hockey IQ of this team isn't very high, which is what you would expect from the 2nd youngest team in the league. 

16 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Defence is big and brutal...  forwards are not bruisers beside Lowry line

4 minutes ago, pigseye said:

It started right from their own end out in the 2nd and 3rd, just bad decisions with puck and don't even get me started on Hellebuyck handling the puck, they guy is simply the worst puck handler I have ever seem from a professional goal tender. The collective hockey IQ of this team isn't very high, which is what you would expect from the 2nd youngest team in the league. 

Uh oh...  excuses already showing up...

The average age thing is ridiculous - so what if one team is average age of 26 and the next is 27...

24 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Defence is big and brutal...  forwards are not bruisers beside Lowry line

It's about winning puck battles down low and being hard to knock off the puck, that is where the big bodies are an asset. You don't have to hit your opponent every shift, like Tanev & Lowry do, to wear him down, the grind of checking guys the size of Wheeler and Laine is enough to tire you out eventually.