Game 80 : @ Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota

5 hours ago, iHeart said:

I thought I did see Buff getting a little tough with Laine during the warmup.

Laine might be a bit of a problem, how many opportunities/situations has he been given this season?  team almost seems to have revolved around him.

I suppose at some point some of the players might get sick of that 

One thing for sure.... it's not Laine!

😅

Edited by Mark F

2 hours ago, Mark F said:

Laine might be a bit of a problem, how many opportunities/situations has he been given this season?  team almost seems to have revolved around him.

I suppose at some point some of the players might get sick of that.

Lol. The 20 year old is the problem? Seriously Laine has evolved in to a better player the last while. He was the guy setting up wheeler on the first line.. Hes also played well with Hayes. 

The problem is 55 and 26 and the refusal to break them up.. If u are Connor Ehlers Laine etc and u get benched for making a mistake or u get demoted for making a mistake, and u see 55 and 26 and 57 and even 33 do the same over and over with zero repercussions then what would u think? If im in that room im wondering when the Coach decides to hold Every one to the same standards. Switching out the LW every 5 games dont make a diff when your leaders are floating

Its not the 20 yr old with 50 points thats the problem... Its a leadership and coaching problem. Dump n chase is stupid with a skill team. 

Break it down...

Coaching issues : The PK.. Trouba on PP1 over Buff. Doing everything but breaking up 55 and 26... Hendricks in for Roslo.. (It was dumb) you play your best players.. Hendrix is not 1 of them. There are other issues such as ice time distribution among the 4 lines and lack of in game adjustments.. Minny beat us playing that same boring style every game this year.. Maurice had no answers. 

Player issues: honestly im gonna look at our leaders here.. Scheif Wheeler Buff.. Little, Perreault is a good vet.. 

Points are good but when u give up more than you put in.. Not good. Scheif and Wheeler are mailing it in since Jan 1st.. What happened at the ASB?  Little is having a down year as is Perreault until recently. 

Buff has been hurt and kind of hasnt been as good himself. 

Its great to blame the future in Laine or Ehlers or Connor.. Niku.. Roslo etc.. But if all these guys need to put up 30 goals each for us to do well we are ******.. 

Its crazy.. We have most of the team in double digit goal scoring.. 10 Plus goals for like 12 13 guys maybe more. 

Our bottom 6 is solid.. 

Our top 6 is MIA.. Hayes has been consistent recently as has Connor and even Laine. Scheif Wheeler to a lesser extent Ehlers have not been. 

Im not sure why maurice refuses to break up scheif and wheeler.. Try it.... He needs to.. Its the only thing he hasn't done yet. 

Connor Scheif Laine

Ehlers Hayes Wheeler. 

Then maybe the ice time is distributed more evenly all around. 

Edited by Goalie

Every player on the roster minus 2 guys have played with someone different.. 2 guys haven't.. Can anyone guess who those 2 are?? This is what causes dressing room issues... The constant playing of 55 and 26 regardless of how good or bad they are.. Regardless of how poor they are in the D zone.. Still on the PK.. Still out giving up leads with 1 minute to go. Still running the team.. Im pretty convinced 55 and 26 tell Maurice when they want ice and he says ok.. This is the likely cause of concern in the room. 

I don't understand the inability to reduce scoring chances in the slot... its literally every game that our goalies are hammered from close range

I really think everyone got cocky - including Maurice - during that early season run...  and let the 'hybrid zone' D take a life of its own

You often see two defensemen caught following the puck

Now add the fact that Scheif and Wheeler are gassed...  I don't see much of an answer with two games left

I would:

- sit Myers for a game and play Niku - at the very least for a rest for him

- Copp-Scheif-Wheeler / Perrault-Little-Ehlers / Connor-Hayes-Roslo / Laine-Lowry-Tanev

Copp, Roslo and Perrault are the only guys playing with heart right now...  Laine might give some scoring punch to our checking line

I don't think it's one single player dragging them down.   It feels like the majority of the players are just playing with low intensity and really half assed.  

I'm hoping Maurice can turn it around but next season if they are playing like this.... the target will be on him.   I don't think one trade would make any difference for us.

30 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I don't think it's one single player dragging them down.   It feels like the majority of the players are just playing with low intensity and really half assed.  

I'm hoping Maurice can turn it around but next season if they are playing like this.... the target will be on him.   I don't think one trade would make any difference for us.

Bingo. Pinning the blame on a struggling third year player is in no way reasonable. The leaders on this team aren't leading. That's a major problem.

Also, the coaching staff needs to be take a look in the mirror and see what's not working.

Someone said something about a locker room issue like someone sleeping with someone else's wife......I'm not saying it's THAT per se, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if there was a "situation" within the room that's causing a lot of internal strife among the players. This team just looks like they're playing out the string and not a group of 23 (or whatever) playing for one another. There's definitely some kinda cancer in the room....wouldn't surprise me at all.

Well I find it tough to believe one guy sleeping with a dude's wife would cause the whole team to be worse.  But I guess you never know.  But I also wouldnt put much faith in that sort of stuff.

It might give the Jets an idea of a plan for moving the pieces around in the summer.  Again, tough to trade Ehlers, for instance, but do you give up some young scoring for more grit (not 4th line, but a top 6 who plays a bit different)?  Do you try to keep Hayes and let someone else go?

40 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Well I find it tough to believe one guy sleeping with a dude's wife would cause the whole team to be worse.  But I guess you never know.  But I also wouldnt put much faith in that sort of stuff.

Ask the Hawks about that.......Patrick Sharp rotted that team apart almost single handedly a few years ago.

42 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Ask the Hawks about that.......Patrick Sharp rotted that team apart almost single handedly a few years ago.

They won the Cup his last year in Chicago. He couldn't have been that big of a distraction.

Then they brought him back a few years later when he was off his big contract.

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

You & Goalie were harping on this last year too. Then they tore it up in the playoffs.

Its a problem this year tho. Last year Scheif and Wheeler brought it every game in the o zone and D zone.. Last year was last year tho.. This is a different season. Last years Jets destroy this years 4 straight.. Im having a hard time believing they are just waiting for the playoffs to start.. 

Its pretty obvious scheif and wheeler run the team and maurice lets them.. This is a huge problem. If ppl dont see it.. I dunno.. Considering all facts the only possible conclusion is they run the team and do as they please because 1. Maurice wont discipline them or 2. Break them up. 

Awful defensively yet on the PK and out with 1 minute left in games leading by 1.. Same ice time every game regardless of how they are playing. Im betting the other players have had enough. 

Players only 25 minute closed door meeting after game 80 is so very concerning. There is a divide in the room... Its real. Likely due to the refusal to break up 55 and 26 or the lack of consequences for struggling Vets. Young guys eat **** when they **** up.. Vets? Back out next shift with no consequences ever. Must get tiring cuz seems to me the young guys tend to bring it mors often than our Vets do. 

Edited by Goalie