Looking for memories of 1991 Grey Cup week/festivities/hoopla etc.

pw13

I didn't find it that cold. Even opened my jacket up in the 3rd Q. Everyone was crammed in so tight, we were all sharing body heat and keeping each other out of the wind. That and the 'Hot Chocolate' we were passing around kept us very warm indeed.

On 2019-04-04 at 12:42 PM, Fan Boy said:

-24 that's all. It seemed a lot colder than that. Everyone was so layered up in my section that people couldn't fit in the row, not like those benches had enough space on a good day. 

My wife and I were on the east side, all layered up and with a heavy blanket to boot. Still froze our asses off. Can't imagine those poor souls on the temporary seats.

4 hours ago, Starman115 said:

My wife and I were on the east side, all layered up and with a heavy blanket to boot. Still froze our asses off. Can't imagine those poor souls on the temporary seats.

We had season tickets on he east side and bought 2 more in the east temp seats. My dad and I used the good seats in the first half, and traded off with my brother and his friend for the second. The wind came right through the back of the bleachers and feet were exposed to the elements, the second half was a miserable experience by the end of it.

One odd thing that stuck out for me on that game, afterwards, they were selling Argo Grey Cup champion t-shirts, in the parking lot outside the stadium. They were selling them out of the back of a delivery truck. There were two trailers - one filled with Argo t's and one with Stamps t's. 

On 2019-04-02 at 5:31 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

You may find about 20 different people who claim to be the person who chucked the beer can on this site. I was sitting in the temporary stands about 15 rows up in the northeast corner (where the old "Rum Hut" would later be situated) and saw Ismail run back the kick right in front of me. Did not see the beer can until it whizzed over my head and on to the field. Can't say where it came from in that section, but it was a ways up in the stands.

Yeah, that was definitely me, had a pretty good arm back then.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just bumping this thread to catch anyone who didn't see it earlier. I'm pursuing a couple of promising leads but still looking for any and every bit of additional information and perspective I can find. If you have any ideas or memories about this fascinating episode in Grey Cup history, I would really love to hear from you, either through this forum or directly by email: paulwoods13(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi everyone. I'm bumping this thread to let y'all know that my quest to find the thrower of the beer can led me down some very interesting paths. Thanks to everyone here who responded with posts or direct messages. I hope to have more to say about this later in the week.

Although an airline that has cancelled a pile of flights this week because of "unscheduled aircraft maintenance" could still scupper my plans, I am hoping to attend the Argo-Bomber game this Friday -- my first game at IG Field. I was only at the old stadium once, for a game in 1982. Really looking forward to this game and seeing the stadium, which looks fantastic on TV! I'm also hoping to check out a few tailgates beforehand, so maybe I will meet some of you there. 

I have nothing to provide since I was 5 at the time.. but thanks for bumping the thread, it was a good read... I missed it the first time as I don't come around here as often in the off-season...

I hope we get some input from @SpeedFlex27... he seems to have photographic memory when it comes to Bomber/CFL history...

Edited by bearpants

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I guess my question is why would someone want to admit they threw a bottle at Raghib Ismail?  Especially 29 years later? If it was me & it's not, there's no way I'd admit to it.

Pretty sure it was a beer can, I was there! 

This is as close as most of us will ever get to a grassy knoll moment.

• 2 months later...

Thanks again to everyone for helping me unravel the mystery. A longer version of the story is now online at https://www.cfl.ca/2019/09/19/long-read-chasing-grey-cup-folklore-form-beer-can/

This is a teaser for my book about the 1991 Argonauts, which will be published around July 1, 2021, to celebrate the 30th anniversary of that magical, electrifying season.

Great work! One vivid memory I have about the Rocket Ismael signing was the brilliant timing of it. The day of the NFL draft. All you had heard about for weeks leading up to it was where would Rocket go? Which NFL team would land the superstar, and what would the payday look like? He was a phenom at love 'em or hate 'em Notre Dame, who were the college equivalent of the current-day Patriots (really good, more than a touch arrogant about it, and seemingly getting all the breaks on field, plus the exclusive national TV coverage contract that no other single college team got), so the network broadcasters had an unprecedented  entire day of wall-to-wall coverage planned - appreciate that this was two decades before we got the empty noise of TSN's trade deadline 12 hour specials and this kind of thing became normal. It was so over the top that it became nauseating. And then the CFL came swooping in and in one beautiful moment popped the balloon and took all of the air out of the big bad NFL and their corporate TV partners, leaving them with nothing to discuss for hours on end, trying to carry on and not admit that they got fleeced out of the most high profile draft pick in years by their poor red-headed stepchild to the north. Of all the scenarios the networks had discussed, this one was completely off the radar, and all the "analysts" looked like fools for not even contemplating it - it was so out of left field. Most visible moment for the CFL south of the border ever, when the NFL was just starting to be able to outbid the CFL for player contracts (it's hard to believe now that these leagues actually ever had similar financial footing for player salaries). Sucked for most CFL fans that it was Toronto that did it, and that they flagrantly violated the salary cap (which was "amended" on the fly to allow for one "marquee" player to legitimize the whole deal, and almost drove the whole league into bankruptcy in the process), but for one glorious moment, everyone in the US was talking about the CFL on maybe the third of fourth biggest day in the NFL calendar (behind the Super Bowl, Thanksgiving, and maybe opening day).

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

3 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Great work! One vivid memory I have about the Rocket Ismael signing was the brilliant timing of it. The day of the NFL draft. All you had heard about for weeks leading up to it was where would Rocket go? Which NFL team would land the superstar, and what would the payday look like? He was a phenom at love 'em or hate 'em Notre Dame, who were the college equivalent of the current-day Patriots (really good, more than a touch arrogant about it, and seemingly getting all the breaks on field, plus the exclusive national TV coverage contract that no other single college team got), so the network broadcasters had an unprecedented  entire day of wall-to-wall coverage planned - appreciate that this was two decades before we got the empty noise of TSN's trade deadline 12 hour specials and this kind of thing became normal. It was so over the top that it became nauseating. And then the CFL came swooping in and in one beautiful moment popped the balloon and took all of the air out of the big bad NFL and their corporate TV partners, leaving them with nothing to discuss for hours on end, trying to carry on and not admit that they got fleeced out of the most high profile draft pick in years by their poor red-headed stepchild to the north. Of all the scenarios the networks had discussed, this one was completely off the radar, and all the "analysts" looked like fools for not even contemplating it - it was so out of left field. Most visible moment for the CFL south of the border ever, when the NFL was just starting to be able to outbid the CFL for player contracts (it's hard to believe now that these leagues actually ever had similar financial footing for player salaries). Sucked for most CFL fans that it was Toronto that did it, and that they flagrantly violated the salary cap (which was "amended" on the fly to allow for one "marquee" player to legitimize the whole deal, and almost drove the whole league into bankruptcy in the process), but for one glorious moment, everyone in the US was talking about the CFL on maybe the third of fourth biggest day in the NFL calendar (behind the Super Bowl, Thanksgiving, and maybe opening day).

I was thirteen when Rocket came out of the NCAA. I had a Sports illustrated subscription and my weekends were spent following football. I watched every Notre Dame game I could and every NCAA game on TV. He was a special talent. I remember the issue with him on the cover, the Heisman and his choice to come to the CFL. For me, it meant everything. Not because I thought the CFL could NOW be on par with the NFL but I knew it always was. We weren't far off the USFL collapse. 

I was thrilled to watch him play in that Grey Cup and I know I was one of the few that cheered for the Argos. He was a special talent and I was thankful he came here. Hindsight is always 20-20 and Bruce McNall was swindler, but those were good times as a CFL fan, IMO.