CFL Considering Resurrecting "Regional Player Protection"

Noeller

https://3downnation.com/2019/03/13/ambrosie-says-he-has-been-working-on-an-alouettes-strategy-for-months/

We’re looking at solutions to how do we help the teams recover more quickly. For example, our league had going back until I think it was 1984 a territorial program which allowed the teams to select a player from within their local region,” Ambrosie said.

“If you look at how strong and how powerful college football is here in Quebec, if you look at Montreal and Laval just to name two. The CEGEP programs here are fantastic. We’re talking about can we potentially resurrect the territorial program which would give Montreal access to a great college player from within their market and hoping as it had done in the past that’s a recipe for getting more talented guys on the field.”

Definitely don't like this........

13 minutes ago, captaincanuck12 said:

Might have helped Winnipeg when Andrew Harris was playing earlier in his days he might have been a Blue Bomber from the start  of his career. 

Although the Salary Cap does keep teams competitive so why bring this rule in?

Considering what kind of mess the Bombers were in when Harris started his CFL career, I'm not sure it would have been doing him any favour to have drafted him then.

29 minutes ago, Noeller said:

When you consider how many players come out of Quebec, it wouldn't do anyone any favours if other teams weren't allowed to draft them... 

One player a year it sounds like not every player from the province.

40 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I agree. I think it would push the teams to develop the grassroots much more. maybe it should be a team option though and cost a draft pick. But I like the idea. 

But the player(s) will get ripped off financially because no other team can draft him or them so their earning power will be negatively affected. Why do we need territorial picks anyway? It won't  cause any great rush for kids to play. 

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

But the player(s) will get ripped off financially because no other team can draft him or them so their earning power will be negatively affected. Why do we need territorial picks anyway? It won't  cause any great rush for kids to play. 

this is true, Id say that kid should be paid as a first rounder atleast. If not a top half first rounder. 

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

What about a kid like Oliviera? Would the dibs be based on birthplace or university location?

From the original quote, it sounds like college location:

"which would give Montreal access to a great college player from within their market"

14 hours ago, captaincanuck12 said:

Might have helped Winnipeg when Andrew Harris was playing earlier in his days he might have been a Blue Bomber from the start  of his career. 

Although the Salary Cap does keep teams competitive so why bring this rule in?

But wasn't he put on a similar list for the Lions? I seem to remember something about him being involved with some system like this.

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

But wasn't he put on a similar list for the Lions? I seem to remember something about him being involved with some system like this.

Yes, we wouldn't have been able to select Harris under this system.

30 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

So we would basically be able to claim a guy like Geoff Gray, Nic Demski or Anthony Coombs one per year without having to draft them?

Yes.  This is where the eastern teams could have an advantage as there are way more players/schools to choose from.

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

this is true, Id say that kid should be paid as a first rounder atleast. If not a top half first rounder. 

They'd have no bargaining power. They are basically captives of the team that selects them. "Don't like our contract offer? Stay home kid. If you change your mind, call us. "