good news thread (non polItical please)

Mark F

Here's another "business" struggling because of the coronavirus pandemic: kids' lemonade stands.

According to lemonade brand Country Time, the popular summertime fixtures in neighborhoods across the nation are closed "due to social distancing guidelines."

So, Country Time has launched the "Littlest Bailout Relief Fund" to help put a "little juice back into the economy."  

The brand owned by Kraft Heinz announced in a news release that it will send stimulus checks to kids who can't operate their lemonade stands this summer.

"So, when life gives you social distancing, make lemonade."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/food/2020/07/18/country-time-bailout-relief-coronavirus-closed-lemonade-stands-stimulus-checks/5464290002/

Edited by Fred C Dobbs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not really a news story but last night on youtube I finally managed to locate a series of shorts that Teletoon used to air in the early 2000s that I hadn't seen in years, it was very hard for me to locate because I couldn't remember the title of the shorts, but I remembered all the animals that were in the numbers (hard to forget a Yak that looks and sings a number similar to John Lennon's)

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Cool, maybe a new way to approach homelessness 

We need more mental health supports, including addiction counselling. 

These should be human rights. Everyone is entitled to a happy, healthy life and a basic income would go a long way to providing that. 

We have the wealth but do we have the political desire to do it? 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/thanksgiving-calgary-refugee-mongolia-1.5758998

Namuunbileg Basaa says this Thanksgiving is one he will never forget.

Basaa, known as Billy to friends and coworkers, left Mongolia as a refugee 22 years ago during a time of crisis and political upheaval in the East Asian country.

What he didn't know is that shortly after he left the country for good, severing his ties there, his daughter was born.

Unaware of his child back home, Basaa went on to marry and have a family of his own here, living the Canadian dream and enjoying success as a refugee.

Bassaa is a heavy duty mechanic journeyman with LaFarge. His wife is a dental assistant. They've made their home here.

Then in 2014 came a bombshell: news that he had a 15-year-old daughter, Indra, back in Mongolia who he never knew existed. 

The pair connected online, started communicating and building a relationship. 

In 2018, talk turned to the possibility of Indra joining her Dad in Alberta, for good. Basaa began talking to an immigration consultant to explore what was possible.

The dream finally became a reality last month when 21-year-old Indra stepped off an international flight from Japan at Calgary International Airport and laid eyes on her dad and his family — her new family — for the first time. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...