good news thread (non polItical please)

Mark F

A new Utah nonprofit says it’s ready to combat drug shortages and price gouging, now that hundreds of hospitals have joined forces to form their own drug company and ensure a steady supply of some needed medications.

Civica Rx — introduced earlier this year as Project Rx — will begin selling 14 generic drugs to hospitals next year, according to the organization's CEO and administrators from Intermountain Healthcare, which helped launch the project.

"It only takes one generic company [to stabilize] a market if they are acting without a profit motive," said Intermountain executive and former Utah state senator Dan Liljenquist at a news conference Thursday.

Intermountain is joining six other health care systems, representing some 500 hospitals, to set up long-term purchase agreements with "trusted manufacturing partners," said Civica CEO Martin VanTrieste, retired chief quality officer for the pharmaceutical giant Amgen.

Civica is starting with 14 generic drugs, but organizers won’t say which ones until they are ready to sell. The drugs were chosen from more than 200 identified by doctors and hospital administrators as crucial for saving lives, but vulnerable to shortages and dramatic price spikes — especially those caused by what VanTrieste described as deliberate ploys by some drugmakers to exploit desperate patients.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/09/06/fighting-drugmakers-that/

Wading birds in the Everglades built more nests in 2018 than any other year in the last 80, a record-breaking nesting event made possible by the right balance of wet and dry conditions in the delicate ecosystem. And after heading north to nest in recent years, the birds returned to the southern Everglades, their traditional nesting grounds.

More than 122,000 wading bird nests were counted in the Everglades during the 2018 nesting season, which ranged from December 2017 to July last year. Overall in South Florida more than 140,000 nests were found, the most since counting began in 1995, compared with an average of about 40,000 a year in the past decade.

“We have never seen anything like this in the last 80 years,’’ said South Florida Water Management District scientist Mark Cook, the lead author on the agency’s annual wading bird report released Thursday. “These numbers highlight the resiliency of these birds and that of the Everglades.’’

best news I've seen in a while.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/environment/article230446334.html?fbclid=IwAR0iVijKesRi6tz8CmSzmet8qpCb-X_0XinljeYygBGzu2tN4gudQrBOy50

Whales Seen In Hundreds Off NYC Shores, Drawn By Cleaner Waters

Whale sightings in New York City waters have jumped from 5 to 272 since 2010.

NEW YORK, NY – Staggering numbers of whales are being sighted off New York City shores as vastly cleaner waters have caused a 540% increase in the numbers of the massive mammals in just eight years.

Experts at the Rockaway-based non profit Gotham Whale started tracking sightings in the area in 2010 – counting just five. Last year, they spotted an awe-inspring 272, almost all humpbacks.

The rise is monumental and points to the success of environmental policies such as the Clean Water Act, the Endangered Species Act and the Marine Mammal Protection Act, Gotham Whale's founder said.

https://patch.com/new-york/new-york-city/whales-seen-hundreds-nyc-shores-drawn-cleaner-waters

4 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Whales Seen In Hundreds Off NYC Shores, Drawn By Cleaner Waters

Whale sightings in New York City waters have jumped from 5 to 272 since 2010.

NEW YORK, NY – Staggering numbers of whales are being sighted off New York City shores as vastly cleaner waters have caused a 540% increase in the numbers of the massive mammals in just eight years.

Experts at the Rockaway-based non profit Gotham Whale started tracking sightings in the area in 2010 – counting just five. Last year, they spotted an awe-inspring 272, almost all humpbacks.

The rise is monumental and points to the success of environmental policies such as the Clean Water Act, the Endangered Species Act and the Marine Mammal Protection Act, Gotham Whale's founder said.

https://patch.com/new-york/new-york-city/whales-seen-hundreds-nyc-shores-drawn-cleaner-waters

All I'm thinking about now...

200.webp?cid=790b76115ced9462627a4d4d774

SpiffyNextAfricangoldencat-size_restrict

On 2019-05-26 at 11:08 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

If I win  lottery this will be my ride. Yes, I can dream. 

See the source image

Id have lots of cars if I was wealthy. 

This thread is awesome!

Raptors won game 1 of the nba finals. The first time the finals have been played out side of the US, the game was good and the crowd was insane. The first quarter was like the start of games at Duke. The raptors are a huge long shot and pulling out the first win is massive. 

Edited by wbbfan

• 2 weeks later...

well the unimaginably unthinkable has happened, congratulations Raptors. Apparently a big difference can be made when Lebron goes to play for a different division

and now the big question remains, what will Trudeau get from Pelosi?  (he made a food related bet with her)

Edited by iHeart

An NBA champ was all that Toronto needed to become that American city they always wanted to be. Oh and a riot.

Now before you all claim that's a negative comment in a good news thread I leave you with this...no one died last night in the riots!

Also good news TSN might have found a replacement for the NHL 😛

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

16 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

An NBA champ was all that Toronto needed to become that American city they always to be. Oh and a riot.

Now before you all claim that's a negative comment in a good news thread I leave you with this...no one died last night in the riots!

The Raptors are worth more than the Leafs. That's good news in it self. 

19 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

An NBA champ was all that Toronto needed to become that American city they always to be. Oh and a riot.

Riots? There were no arrests made.

Couple uses shopping spree win to stock up groceries for Calgary Food Bank

As any Supermarket Sweep contestant could tell you, 50 seconds isn't a lot of time when you're burning rubber on the wheels of a shopping cart. 

But a couple who won a grocery shopping spree were motivated to go as quickly as they could on Saturday, because they weren't filling their own pantry.

Chantal Leroux and her partner Ryan Warren won a contest to grab as many items, up to $500, as they could in 50 seconds from Bragg Creek Foods. 

"We were really excited to receive the call," said Leroux. "I immediately envisioned grabbing all sorts of things for my own cupboard and then after I reflected a couple seconds later, I thought what a great opportunity to be able to give back."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/grocery-spree-win-1.5177468

Growing green: Electric-powered tractor turning heads at Farm Progress Show

A California inventor is one of hundreds of exhibitors at the 2019 Canada’s Farm Progress Show, bringing with him a tractor that runs on an electric motor.

Steven Heckeroth, the founder and CEO of “Solectrac”, has over 25 years of experience in building both zero energy homes and electric vehicles, spending much of his life finding ways to reduce fossil fuel use. He says tractors are a good fit for an electric overhaul.

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/growing-green-electric-powered-tractor-turning-heads-at-farm-progress-show-1.4475603

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Actor and songwriter Kris Kristofferson and some of those closest to him are speaking out about his health problems and their surprising cause.

Kristoffferson struggled with memory problems in recent years and was told he had Alzheimer's disease, but it appears he was misdiagnosed and all along has actually been suffering from the tick-borne illness Lyme disease.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kris-kristofferson-misdiagnosed-alzheimers-has-lyme-disease/