JETS TRADE: Get Hayes, Hendricks, Beaulieu

https://thehockeywriters.com/ny-rangers-kevin-hayes-core-trade/

Like any young player, Hayes experienced some ups and downs as he learned what it took to be a pro after signing with the Rangers in August 2014. By 2017-18, however, it seemed clear that the first-round draft pick of Chicago in 2010 was on his way to figuring it out. Hayes recorded a career-high 25 goals, a stat that’s all the more impressive considering former coach Alain Vigneault used him almost exclusively in a defensive role against opponents’ top lines.

Rather than rebel, Hayes embraced the assignment and took his game to a versatile new level. Making 57.3 of his starts in the defensive zone, Hayes won 50.54 percent of his faceoffs – the first time he topped the 50 percent faceoff mark and the third straight season he improved in the dot.

Once considered a liability in his own zone, Hayes last season was exactly what the Rangers envisioned he’d become – a big matchup center that wins draws, frustrates opposing forwards with diligent defensive play and also possesses the skill to score goals.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Kevin Hayes is a play-driving point producer who could help any team in the NHL.

At the same time, it's easy to see the appeal for the Rangers if they decide to keep the 26-year-old center, who can become an unrestricted free agent July 1.

One of the challenges facing a team in the Rangers' position is the course of action for a player like Hayes, who has advanced past the prospect stage but is not like veteran players traditionally traded to contending teams before the deadline.

Complicating matters is Hayes is having the best season of his NHL career with 37 points (12 goals, 25 assists) in 44 games. His career high is 49 points (17 goals, 32 points) in 76 games in 2016-17.

Hayes, who signed a one-year contract with New York on July 30, 2018, is controlling play this season and logging a career-high 19:34 per game, a notable jump from last season's 17:21, his previous high.

During 5-on-5 play, the Rangers get 51.55 percent of shot attempts while Hayes is on the ice, which is second behind Chris Kreider (52.12). The more notable number for Hayes is how much better New York fares with him on the ice. He has a 7.23 relative SAT percentage, which ranks 14th in the NHL among players to play at least 20 games. Relative SAT percentage is an indicator of how much a team outshoots the opposition when a player is on the ice compared to when he's on the bench.

Part of the reason his value is so high is he has been on the side of favorable percentages. His combined 5-on-5 on-ice shooting and save percentages is 1023, a number not unusual for Hayes during his five-season career. 

Hayes (6-foot-5, 216 pounds) is versatile. He has primarily played center for the Rangers but has experience on the wing. He plays on the penalty kill and the power play and has also improved his work on face-offs, getting close to a break-even winning percentage (49.7) in the past two seasons.

Hayes has 10 points (two goals, eight assists) in 34 Stanley Cup Playoff games. It's a small sample, but that .29 point per game average would be part of the equation for the acquiring team, which undoubtedly would have postseason aspirations.

35 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I honestly had never even heard of this guy until the trade speculation started ramping up. Hate giving up Lemieux....we'll see how it works out.

Exactly my thoughts too. Like Lemieux's fire but the more I read about Hayes the more I like the sound of this deal. Let's just hope he can develop some chemistery with the guys real fast.

I'm excited to see what Hayes can do for us.   I like his size and grit, and we need more experience on this very young team.     Against that, Lemieux and a 1st rounder is a very high price to pay for a "Rental" who becomes a UFA this July.    If they can extend him, or if we can go all the way, then it's all good.    Otherwise  I'm hesitant to giving up 1st round draft picks for a short term run.

13 minutes ago, Jaxon said:

I'm excited to see what Hayes can do for us.   I like his size and grit, and we need more experience on this very young team.     Against that, Lemieux and a 1st rounder is a very high price to pay for a "Rental" who becomes a UFA this July.    If they can extend him, or if we can go all the way, then it's all good.    Otherwise  I'm hesitant to giving up 1st round draft picks for a short term run.

Get Simmonds too and a solid depth D and call it a day.

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Been getting a chuckle outta the tweet going around with Hayes in a Jets jersey from the early 90s and Lemieux in a MAGA hat, saying "The Jets have already won trade day".......if true, I agree.

I hate to bag on a player leaving but some of the social media chatter now is that Lemieux was a bit...problematic.  Could be fans wanting to diminish a player so we dont feel we lost.  Who knows.  Who cares, he's not a jet anymore so move on.

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

I hate to bag on a player leaving but some of the social media chatter now is that Lemieux was a bit...problematic.  Could be fans wanting to diminish a player so we dont feel we lost.  Who knows.  Who cares, he's not a jet anymore so move on.

I highly doubt he was problematic,  if he was then he would of been benched or sent to the A.    He's a scrappy guy but as someone else said easily replaceable in free agency.   

I'm much more  hesitant on giving up Roslovic who *could* break out and be a 1st or 2nd line kind of guy for a long time.  

Just now, Brandon said:

I highly doubt he was problematic,  if he was then he would of been benched or sent to the A.    He's a scrappy guy but as someone else said easily replaceable in free agency.   

I'm much more  hesitant on giving up Roslovic who *could* break out and be a 1st or 2nd line kind of guy for a long time.  

A friend messaged me right after the trade with "I'd have rather traded Roslo than Lemieux".  I dont see it.  Roslo might not be the 4C option right now but he's good and has nothing but upside.  Lemiuex has upside but probably hits the ceiling at 3rd line grit winger...IF that.