QB situation Winnipeg

Doublezero

On 2019-02-13 at 7:46 PM, AKAChip said:

No, it still is. But the overall QB situation in the league is scary bad. Four teams have Arena League level QBing. 

I dont know that its that bad. I feel like atleast 1 guy is gonna emerge from the als, argos, maybe RBs or riders that is at the masoli level. Afl lacked qb talent. The league has some good young arms with a chance to actually start and play now. Gonna suck for a bit for those teams, but long term its great for the league. 

55 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I dont know that its that bad. I feel like atleast 1 guy is gonna emerge from the als, argos, maybe RBs or riders that is at the masoli level. Afl lacked qb talent. The league has some good young arms with a chance to actually start and play now. Gonna suck for a bit for those teams, but long term its great for the league. 

It took Masoli 6 years to "emerge", people are giving new QB's a year or two to prove their worth.

Jennings and Campbell/Elizondo will be interesting...  this is dink and dunk football...  could be either really good for Jennings or the end of his career

Khari seems like a better match with Pipkin than Manziel

McAdoo is a match with no one

Chapdelaine - I don't see him and Franklin having any chemistry...

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

Jennings and Campbell/Elizondo will be interesting...  this is dink and dunk football...  could be either really good for Jennings or the end of his career

Khari seems like a better match with Pipkin than Manziel

McAdoo is a match with no one

Jennings big struggle has been accuracy.

Pipkin and Manziel are different versions of the same QB, run and chuck.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I saw a graph / photo on Riderfans (yuck) where they showed all of Jennings passes for the season and how many balls were off the mark and how they could of been picked off.   The guy has huge issues with accuracy and the numbers do not look good at all considering he had great receivers to throw at. 

45 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I saw a graph / photo on Riderfans (yuck) where they showed all of Jennings passes for the season and how many balls were off the mark and how they could of been picked off.   The guy has huge issues with accuracy and the numbers do not look good at all considering he had great receivers to throw at. 

I believe that was a Derek Taylor thing. He did some research on "percentage of passes that *should* have been picked off" and Jennings was baaaaaaaaad.... 

4 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Hence the 'could be the end' of Jennings...

I think Pipkin can handle the pocket better than Manziel - we'll find out soon enough

What do these changes in player status mean, from CFL.ca today:

2019-02-19    WPG    NICHOLS, Matt    QB    I    Eastern Washington    Add To    Active Roster
2019-02-19    WPG    NICHOLS, Matt    QB    I    Eastern Washington    Delete From Active    Free Agent

Edited by Doublezero

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Esks beat writer tweeted out yesterday that he's getting a raise and possibly an extension. Makes sense based on what the other top guys got in FA... 

Some people are going to lose their s... over this. I hope the Bombers make a big FA signing to distract everyone for a while. 

23 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Esks beat writer tweeted out yesterday that he's getting a raise and possibly an extension. Makes sense based on what the other top guys got in FA... 

Dave Campbell from CHED radio said Nichols contract was "restructured" -  no idea why anyone would assume Nichols got an extra year beyond 2020 or more money beyond the $455,000 he's set to make in 2019.  "Restructured" usually means the opposite. The club goes to Matt and says "We'd like make some revisions your deal ..." Maybe they just decided they don't want to pay him a $225,000 roster bonus next January 15 as they did this year. Or maybe they want to make that bonus contingent on certain performance milestones. And asked him to agree to that. Some intrepid journalist should be digging this out ...

Here's what Dunk said Feb 6 before any of this: https://3downnation.com/2019/02/06/bombers-qb-matt-nichols-set-for-pay-increase-but-bombers-have-an-out/

Edited by Doublezero

On ‎2019‎-‎02‎-‎19 at 1:20 PM, Floyd said:

My son played for Chaps at SFU. He used a version of his offense adapted for 4 down football. It was an extensive, difficult offense for him & the other qbs to learn. It wasn't that the offense is bad as it's not. It's totally based on creating mismatches on offense with the defense. The problem is the terminology isn't qb friendly as Chaps never was a qb so it is difficult from a qb perspective to learn.  It's more receiver friendly than quarterback. The reads are different if you're a qb. I can only tell you it's quite complicated for a new qb to learn. Again, my son thought the offensive playbook was actually pretty decent but it comes at the qbs from a different perspective. It takes awhile to learn compared to other CFL offenses. Ricky Ray could probably pick it up easier than Franklin.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

20 hours ago, Noeller said:

Esks beat writer tweeted out yesterday that he's getting a raise and possibly an extension. Makes sense based on what the other top guys got in FA..

Does it though?... I'm a fan of Nichols... but based on his performance last year... I don't really think a raise would be in line... just cuz Reilly, BLM and Harris got huge raises, that shouldn't really have an effect on someone already under contract...