QB situation Winnipeg

Doublezero

Interesting with the big salaries for Mitchell and Reilly, I think the CFL is getting closer to the point the NFL is at right now, where the most valuable commodity is a low or reasonably priced, very good QB. Players like Mahomes, Goff, are gold compared to dishing out $20 million per year for Kirk Cousins or Matt Ryan. The CFL doesn't get rookie QB's of that caliber, but, I think it's going to be more important in the next few seasons to find and develop quality, low priced QB's - like Streveler hopefully becomes. I'd rather have Streveler develop, pay him his next contract at abound $400 K per season over two or three years, then have to get into a $800 K per year bidding war for the top QB's. Plus, I love Mike Reilly, but his team missed the playoffs last year. 

Edited by M.Silverback

49 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Nichols first series of the regular season will tell all..... he marches to an easy TD we win the cup...... he throws it into the dirt, into the stands, an starts waiting for Harris to do it all..... then we are done yet again.  

Ya, there's a comment just steeped in science and common sense...

Some good arguments here about why the OP is overreacting.  On the other hand, you look at the last bunch of Grey Cup winners and there's a lot of Bo Levis, Mike Reillys, and Ricky Rays on there. Who is the last QB at Nichols' level to win it all? Darian Durant?

I don't think anyone is counting on Nichols being good enough to match what those guys have done.  Are we counting on having a better defense than any other CFL team in recent memory just to get out of the West?

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

So if we went all in on Reilly and got him for $700K (or $750K given that he wanted to go with Hervey and we'd have to up the ante to pry him away), would you have done that if it cost us a chance to sign Bighill and Bryant on top of losing Loffler, Santos-Knox, Chungh, and not get in on Jefferson, just as an example. QB is the most important position, but no team has won with just a great QB with nothing around him.

I can remember hearing ad nauseum on this board how fluky a QB Reilly was last year, just throwing up prayers and using his tall receiving corps to go get 50/50 balls all the time, until teams figured out his schtick late and he was exposed as the Esks fell out of the playoffs.. Now he walks on water and we are suckers for not jumping into the bidding war at the sake of the rest of our team, and our starting QB who is 30-13 as a starter since 2016 is a dud?

God, the gnashing of teeth on this board makes me want to puke sometimes. What are we, Riderfans?

There, I feel better now.

700k? nah I wouldnt do that. Not unless the cap goes up a good bit. I would make an offer though. And I think every team in the league would be wise to do so. If some one wants to go full crazy, even better. Now they have hand cuffed their own cap status. 

1 hour ago, Dr Zaius said:

We probably have the best QB depth in the league, but also we're firmly the second tier in terms of high end talent.

Tier one: Mitchell, Rielly
Tier two: Nichols, Harris, Masoli
Tier three: the rest. 

I would probably rather have Nichols over Harris at this point mostly just for continuity and he's coming in 100k cheaper, but we definitely lack the high end talent at this time.
Hopefully Streveler usurps Nichols at some point, imo. Nichols really played awful in the Western Final, but hopefully that was just a one-off as he's generally played pretty well in playoffs.

After last year I dont think nichols is in teir two. Top of teir 3 and threatening t2 again for sure. If rounded up favorably, Hes still behind masoli and harris imo. Im not a fan of masoli though. 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

I'm much happier in the short term and the long term with Nichols playing for us this season and Streveler playing for us at half the rate of Reilly for the three years after and for our team to have way more cap room to sign other impact players...

agree. The question will be how long we can maintain that. If we did it past next year and gave streveler a raise things would get awful tight imo. But for now its a great situation for us. 

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Harris Nichols same tier.. Id consider them system QBs. 

I think Reilly is overrated.. Hes good but hes overrated. Duck n chuck. Can he drive the field on a 8 play time eating drive? 

How quickly people forget that he is the best player in the CFL after he has one season running for his life. He put up top-tier numbers in a situation where almost no QB would succeed.

5 hours ago, Mike said:

Thank you for creating this very obviously unbiased thread for discussion with no intent to stir up trouble whatsoever 

There is no possible way for you to know my intent.  I am unaware of a forum rule that says threads must be above bias, as you put it. I have stated a position:  we do not have enough talent at the key position to get our team to the Grey Cup and to win it.  I blame head coach/management for this. You are free to disagree. But I don't see any form of argument or counter-argument in your statement above.

58 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

There is no possible way for you to know my intent.  I am unaware of a forum rule that says threads must be above bias, as you put it. I have stated a position:  we do not have enough talent at the key position to get our team to the Grey Cup and to win it.  I blame head coach/management for this. You are free to disagree. But I don't see any form of argument or counter-argument in your statement above.

and I think you are wrong. Nichols put up big numbers 2 playoffs in a row and was let down by his defense and this past season it was less Nichols problem and more the game plans problem. Had a good D and Lapo wanted to let them win it and didn't try and challenge the opposing defense. It was a tactical error. 

6 hours ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Nichols played awful for at least half the year and the west final.  He panics at the slightest sign of pressure despite having the best O-line last year.  That's why I am really worried about the loss of Goosen and Chungh and the corresponding loss of national depth.  Things are likely to be worse protection-wise this season for Nichols so unless he has improved mentally, we may see a lot more of those 200 yard passing games...unless the Bombers go three imports on the line...that will help.  As it stands, a Qb like Harris on the Bombers would be preferable to Nichols.

Nichols also came back from a serious knee injury. So, hopefully he's healthy & will play better.