Free Agent Frenzy

Floyd

2 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

According to the press conference and Bauming Jefferson left money on the table from other teams to sign with the Bombers

Why the one year deal then?  I don't believe that for a second. Willie was pissy that Micah got more money than him here and that's why he turned down our offer and left.  O'day valued Micah more and Willie didn't like it

14 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Why the one year deal then?  I don't believe that for a second. Willie was pissy that Micah got more money than him here and that's why he turned down our offer and left.  O'day valued Micah more and Willie didn't like it

He said he wanted to make sure it was a good fit before committing to longer contract.

25 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Willie didn't come cheap, we offered him a contract and he signed for more with you guys

23 minutes ago, Noeller said:

and yet it was suggested by Jefferson that the Bombers weren't the biggest contract he was offered...

You both could be right.  We could have offered more than Sask but less than another team.

19 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Didn't Jefferson sign first? 

Alternate theory: Jefferson turned the Riders down for us, Riders then had to pay more for Johnson to ensure they didn't come away empty handed.

Jefferson signed first because on Riderfans they were flipping out and then calmed down when Micah signed.

I listened to Jefferson on 1290 yesterday afternoon,  aside from his annoyinig habit of going uhhhhh every few seconds the guy seemed to choose Winnipeg because of the culture and the management.  He apparently was his own agent and made it seem like he was happy with how the club negotiated with him.

I think Jefferson looked at our roster...in particular our D and saw Bighill and Jeffcoat....thought he'd fit right in and went for it...Regina was bringing up the rear ,and looking at their roster as it stood when he signed with us, it became a no-brainer...I'm going to enjoy the hell out of the games we have with them this year, when Big Willie puts the screws to those green chumps...Can't wait

Edited by Stickem

29 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I think Jefferson looked at our roster...in particular our D and saw Bighill and Jeffcoat....thought he'd fit right in and went for it...Regina was bringing up the rear ,and looking at their roster as it stood when he signed with us, it became a no-brainer...I'm going to enjoy the hell out of the games we have with them this year, when Big Willie puts the screws to those green chumps...Can't wait

Bighill and Big Will!

Man Ripper you Rider fans are out to lunch. Between thinking that Micah/AC constitutes an upgrade over WJ/Antigha, and being in complete denial that WJ left for a better chance to win. Why the one year contract you ask? Fairly obvious....because he left money on the table to come here so we get the discounted price for one year. Jefferson himself said he left money on the table for a chance to win the Cup. If you were a player would ODay,Dickenson, McAdoo, Shivers, and Collaros inspire you? Probably would cause you're a Rider fan but anyone else would think I'm outta here.

Yeah..signed for less..and said himself if it's a good he will extend.

Also said culture.. coaches..players and who showed him they wanted him more factored in.

How rider fans think their defence will be as good as last year..or even dominant with loss of Jones..Jeffeson..Eguovan..Antghua..and an aging Hughes and even a near 32 yr old Johnson as a replacement is delusional 

That doesnt even factor in unsigned Olineman and one coming back from a ACL tear prob not till mid season...and the awesome qh tandem they have..if they get 6 wins I will be impressed

23 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

Didn't Jefferson sign first? 

Alternate theory: Jefferson turned the Riders down for us, Riders then had to pay more for Johnson to ensure they didn't come away empty handed.

Johnson signing was announced half hour before the Jefferson signing

5 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

FYI the order they announce things might not have anything at all to do with the way things unfolded behind the scenes.

Total true. Totally agree.  But yet many here are so sure Jefferson left first, and left money on the table.  That's how people make themselves feel better. From what I hear Jefferson took more money from Bombers than what we offered, and it was directly related to the signing of Johnson.  It is possible others offered more than the Bombers, that is likely the money on the table he is referring to. 

On 2019-02-16 at 8:03 AM, Mark H. said:

Yes sir boys - we’ve got the market cornered on whoever shakes loose from the NFL - just think of the possibilities...

Although Walters did mention that there were a few teams holding money for QBs that were ultimately disappointed and will also have funds to spend.