Free Agent Frenzy

Floyd

31 minutes ago, do or die said:

Football being what it is.....if you actually had downfield threats on both sides of the field.....we would probably see a few more deep balls, just as SOP.

Some folks talking about Thompkins....who down the stretch, last year:

6 games..... 7 catches 57 yds, 0 TD     Give me a break.

Not saying Thompkins IS that next guy but it’s awfully hard to make plays when you see two targets a game (if that).  

Between Nichols locking into particular players and LaPo’s tendency to feature specific guys .. certain roles are going to suffer from a lack of production.

19 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

Not saying Thompkins IS that next guy but it’s awfully hard to make plays when you see two targets a game (if that).  

Between Nichols locking into particular players and LaPo’s tendency to feature specific guys .. certain roles are going to suffer from a lack of production.

He didn't do much with the targets he did get and had a couple games with multiple drops.  He played his way out of the offense after getting a pretty good shot in the late summer.

Wolitarsky is going to be a star for us this year.  Would not be surprised to see him put up 90+ catches and 1200 yards.

sometimes re-signing our own free-agents is the biggest coup of all

Hello Biggie..Bryant..Hardrick..Medlock..Alexander....any of those guys had hit the market...teams would have been all over them..even a guy like Couture...he would have been snapped out pretty fast

Edited by Booch

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

sometimes re-signing our own free-agents is the biggest coup of all

Hello Biggie..Bryant..Hardrick..Medlock..Alexander....any of those guys had hit the market...teams would have been all over them..even a guy like Couture...he would have been snapped out pretty fast

That's my point, we have only half of the equation now we need the other half to get us over the top. 

12 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Wolitarsky is going to be a star for us this year.  Would not be surprised to see him put up 90+ catches and 1200 yards.

He was a guy who was ignored in the offense too until the backup qb threw the ball to a guy he was familiar with. 

I don't put the blame on Nichols, I put the blame on an offensive coordinator who wanted to feature essentially running backs like Harris, Demski and Dressler. Demski and Dressler being of course receivers, but adept at playing like running backs do. Hell only reason he needed Adams was he needed someone to throw deep too. Like how often does Adams get a pass thrown his way that isn't a deep shot? Not nearly often enough for a guy who is supposed to be one of the teams best if not the best receiver. 

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I put the blame on an offensive coordinator who wanted to feature essentially running backs like Harris, Demski and Dressler. Demski and Dressler being of course receivers, but adept at playing like running backs do.

I realize the CFL is different than the NFL but it seems to me that Lapo's strategy on offense is much like the Rams and Patriots offence's are where they use a lot of run plays, short passes and play action most of the time and hit that long one once in awhile. The RBs and the slot receiver are the most used and that was working well for Lapo when Dressler was healthy and Demski was on the field too. When Dressler went out it wasn't nearly as effective because his replacement couldn't run the same routes as effectively as Dressler could and Lapo then keyed in on Demski more which lead to opposing Ds being able to cover it better. I don't know but that what it looked like to me and my very inexperienced eyes. 

13 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

He was a guy who was ignored in the offense too until the backup qb threw the ball to a guy he was familiar with. 

I don't put the blame on Nichols, I put the blame on an offensive coordinator who wanted to feature essentially running backs like Harris, Demski and Dressler. Demski and Dressler being of course receivers, but adept at playing like running backs do. Hell only reason he needed Adams was he needed someone to throw deep too. Like how often does Adams get a pass thrown his way that isn't a deep shot? Not nearly often enough for a guy who is supposed to be one of the teams best if not the best receiver. 

I didn't see very much change in play calling between Streveler and Nichols.   I saw one qb being hesitant and dumping it off and the other qb making much quicker decisions and had the arm strength to "knife" it in to guys like Wolly and Thompkins.  Far to much last season did we see  Nichols struggle throwing balls around the 10 yard mark where a receiver would be in stride and could catch the ball and gather some YAC.  From what I watched guys had to dive or go to the ground to make any catches giving them no chance to turning it up field.  Streveler was light years better at throwing to guys in stride. 

I do agree though that we run way to many passes that suit Nichols where it's a quick dump off and hope that the guy can break a tackle and make it 10 yards.    I'd like to see more plays that they used to do with Khari where he chucked it up and let the receivers either make or break the play. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I didn't see very much change in play calling between Streveler and Nichols.   I saw one qb being hesitant and dumping it off and the other qb making much quicker decisions and had the arm strength to "knife" it in to guys like Wolly and Thompkins.  Far to much last season did we see  Nichols struggle throwing balls around the 10 yard mark where a receiver would be in stride and could catch the ball and gather some YAC.  From what I watched guys had to dive or go to the ground to make any catches giving them no chance to turning it up field.  Streveler was light years better at throwing to guys in stride. 

I do agree though that we run way to many passes that suit Nichols where it's a quick dump off and hope that the guy can break a tackle and make it 10 yards.    I'd like to see more plays that they used to do with Khari where he chucked it up and let the receivers either make or break the play. 

That's just the make-up of the man though. Khari had that gunslinger mentality and I'm sure his OCs (at times) weren't too thrilled with some of those chuck and duck plays but couldn't fault the results.

One real difference between Strevs and Nichols is how they spread the ball around.  Streveler didn't lock into a single guy (or no single guy dominated targets - for the most part) .. Each game, whether by accident or design, Nichols seems to .. "forget" about certain players.

21 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I'd like to just see plays where Lapo let's Nichols throw 10+ yards rather then the 5 or less.

If we are talking QBs then what Strev has shown in his short time behind centre suggests he is a far better QB than Nichols....quicker decisions, better arm, better running, and spreads the ball around much better. However if you include the OC into the equation it may well be a different conversation. Many who have watched LAPO years ago see the same tendencies even today......he does not game plan for big strikes it’s all short and dump so he may well hinder what the QBs including Strev can and will do. With that said I totally agree from what I have seen Strev is a better QB and with some experience he will show he is a prototypes CFL QB. My hope is that both the OC and HC realize what they have....develop him and make sure he gets playing time so he doesn’t bolt to the NFL after this season. Make him feel wanted he seems like a real down to earth kid!

1 minute ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

If we are talking QBs then what Strev has shown in his short time behind centre suggests he is a far better QB than Nichols....quicker decisions, better arm, better running, and spreads the ball around much better. However if you include the OC into the equation it may well be a different conversation. Many who have watched LAPO years ago see the same tendencies even today......he does not game plan for big strikes it’s all short and dump so he may well hinder what the QBs including Strev can and will do. With that said I totally agree from what I have seen Strev is a better QB and with some experience he will show he is a prototypes CFL QB. My hope is that both the OC and HC realize what they have....develop him and make sure he gets playing time so he doesn’t bolt to the NFL after this season. Make him feel wanted he seems like a real down to earth kid!

I fully expect Streveler to take over at least midway this season, if not sooner.

Now that i look at available guys...just realized Sinkfield JR is flaoting around...now there is a guy we should target. Perfect replacement for Dressler too as he could slot right into his role...and probably be better at it..Blazing fast...bigger and more durable and also can be a returner.

Still relatively young as only 28 and I bet can e had at a wayyyy better price than the guys who went for big cash....he is a perfect guy for a Lapo offence..

A few complaints out of Ham. last year after the Sink returned from the states...Lot's said he wasn't the same'''others said he was doggin' it.....Maybe he just got tired of the smell back there and wanted out...who knows...He could be worth a look but I'd like to see us sign Ackie who is also floating around out there first...I know a receiver is prob. more important to us right now but Ackie would be nice

29 minutes ago, Stickem said:

A few complaints out of Ham. last year after the Sink returned from the states...Lot's said he wasn't the same'''others said he was doggin' it.....Maybe he just got tired of the smell back there and wanted out...who knows...He could be worth a look but I'd like to see us sign Ackie who is also floating around out there first...I know a receiver is prob. more important to us right now but Ackie would be nice

Could be deflated by every other passing play targeting banks too. 

At this point everyone left in the FA market has questions. We gotta pick our poison now.