Free Agent Frenzy

Floyd

6 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Was it really that close? I literally cant name a single receiver on the Riders current roster. Last year, Roosevelt, Williams-lambert, Holley. All gone.

What may have made is close is that the Riders were offering more money.  At the end of the day I think the Riders deserve the "take one for the team" award.  They weakened Calgary by driving up the price on Bo Levi Mitchell and took away their most disrupted defensive player in Micah Johnson.  I swear Calgary was the only team we really struggled to run the ball against last year and it had a lot to do with the presence of Johnson IMO.  With Micah gone, Vaughters, Thurman, and Singleton I am really looking forward to seeing what Winnipeg can do against them offensively. 

My team had a terrible day no doubt but what worries me the most is I was really hoping the riders would make the retirement choice for Collaros.  He clearly can't see the danger he is putting himself in.   He is 30 years old and his brain has to be over half scrambled.  There comes a time when the human becomes more important than a game.    He's too young to risk what could happen and it will happen as you seen last year it doesn't even have to happen from a dirty hit, it can be as simple as a tackle were his head bounces off the turf and prediction that could happen as soon as pre season.  I really hoped he was going to walk away passion and fire to play or not.

Just now, Jayph said:

My team had a terrible day no doubt but what worries me the most is I was really hoping the riders would make the retirement choice for Collaros.  He clearly can't see the danger he is putting himself in.   He is 30 years old and his brain has to be over half scrambled.  There comes a time when the human becomes more important than a game.    He's too young to risk what could happen and it will happen as you seen last year it doesn't even have to happen from a dirty hit, it can be as simple as a tackle were his head bounces off the turf and prediction that could happen as soon as pre season.  I really hoped he was going to walk away passion and fire to play or not.

Im surprised the Riders wouldn't have gone after Lulay or Jennings instead.  Lulay because he's better when he plays than Collaros and Jennings because he's still got upside and can do some things physically that would add to thier offense.  Certainly the addition of William Powell will help.  The riders need their D to be just as good as last year and add a strong running attack to take the pressure off Collaros. They don't strike me as a bad team at this point but I just feel like they are a big question mark especially with the loss of their head coach.

22 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

What may have made is close is that the Riders were offering more money.  At the end of the day I think the Riders deserve the "take one for the team" award.  They weakened Calgary by driving up the price on Bo Levi Mitchell and took away their most disrupted defensive player in Micah Johnson.  I swear Calgary was the only team we really struggled to run the ball against last year and it had a lot to do with the presence of Johnson IMO.  With Micah gone, Vaughters, Thurman, and Singleton I am really looking forward to seeing what Winnipeg can do against them offensively. 

I tried to drown my sorrows with the thought that we did up Bo's payday but sadly after they released the details he got similar to Mike Reilly numbers and being they are no 1 and 2 in what ever order you want it was already established what he was going to get as Calgary wasn't going to low ball compared to Reilly's contract.  So while the riders did offer more money Calgary didn't have to up there offer or match the riders to keep Bo as the 3down article stated he gave them a home town discount.

For what it's worth I like the idea of him wanting to stay in Calgary and have a legacy.  I wish more players were loyal and there was less 1 year contracts.  Most people are scared to get a name on a jersey with the turn over.  It's good for the league when guys stick in one place cause when the casual fan can relate to the team and feel they know it they are more invested in it.  Not walking around going I don't even know who our(insert postion here) is this year.  The free agents league wide was crazy this year.

Edited by Jayph

4 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Im surprised the Riders wouldn't have gone after Lulay or Jennings instead.  Lulay because he's better when he plays than Collaros and Jennings because he's still got upside and can do some things physically that would add to thier offense.  Certainly the addition of William Powell will help.  The riders need their D to be just as good as last year and add a strong running attack to take the pressure off Collaros. They don't strike me as a bad team at this point but I just feel like they are a big question mark especially with the loss of their head coach.

The nice thing about low expectations going in to the season is there is only room for surprise and happiness 😂   As much as Jennings would be a slight improvement over what we have he has shown a downward trend since his injury.  His other downside is he is trying to cash in on a year with many teams having a qb problem (good for him) I don't think he is better enough than our QB's (can I call them that) to warrant over paying him. 

5 hours ago, Stickem said:

Zack is back....Riders on track.......................................to finish at the bottom in the west

Zach is back

The Riders right on track

Daddy left town and he ain't comin back.

Took us for a ride on his big black bike,

Dropped us in a corn maze in the middle of the night.

Told us Uncle McAdoo would loves us and make it right.

Left us with a box of bills but countin ain't our thing,

Brother Willlie just ran away and probly stole our ring!

Ya know sister, it looks like our boy Zach ain't quite right, looks a bit cross-eyed...if ya know what I mean...and I think...you do.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

51 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I'm surprised the Riders wouldn't have gone after Lulay or Jennings instead.  Lulay because he's better when he plays than Collaros and Jennings because he's still got upside and can do some things physically that would add to their offense.  Certainly the addition of William Powell will help.  The riders need their D to be just as good as last year and add a strong running attack to take the pressure off Collaros. They don't strike me as a bad team at this point but I just feel like they are a big question mark especially with the loss of their head coach.

Who says that they didn't?

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

The thing about derel walker is, how many games will he play? He averages about 12 games a year. If you give him mega bucks, and he misses 6 games you can recoup a bunch of money from IR. If he plays the whole year he is probably going to be a top 3 wr in the league. 

At this point, I think we need to be playing to win now. If we dont sign a guy like walker, or 2 of the next tier lower guys cheap, we need to trade for a wr on that level of play. 

Are you looking at games he missed while in the NFL and assuming he was injured?

i think the only significant injury he’s had was last year.

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

Disagree. Reilly & BLM have the same agent. Both guys knew what the starting & end point was salary wise. It was going to be in the $700-725's. The Riders didn't drive the salary up for Bo anymore than the Bombers did. 

Lulay is way done,  I'd take ZC over him at this point.   I think Jennings would be a good fit in Saskatchewan as whoever is the QB will be running for their life so might as well get the most athletic qb and hope that he can toss the ball in the air and the receivers can make the big grabs. 

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

Lulay is way done,  I'd take ZC over him at this point.   I think Jennings would be a good fit in Saskatchewan as whoever is the QB will be running for their life so might as well get the most athletic qb and hope that he can toss the ball in the air and the receivers can make the big grabs. 

Jennings is better than Bridge. Bridge is terrible. I think he worries more about his fashion statement hoodie a la Cam Newton than anything else. 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Lulay is way done,  I'd take ZC over him at this point.

ZC over Lulay is madness. How many games did Collaros even finish in 2018? Lulay isn't nearly what he used to be but he won some games last year without looking completely busted like Collaros did.