Free Agent Frenzy

Floyd

15 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I had to look up the word tampering again, because it seems, according to what’s going on in the CFL, that it has a different meaning than what I thought..

Just got a call from a #CFL agent who called to shoot the breeze.

I asked him, "there's no tampering in the CFL, right?"

His reply: "That's right. I'm just waiting until noon to announce all of the deals I've made with other teams."

That's gotta be the line of the week.

— Arash Madani (@ArashMadani) February 12, 2019

1 minute ago, JCon said:

Just got a call from a #CFL agent who called to shoot the breeze.

I asked him, "there's no tampering in the CFL, right?"

His reply: "That's right. I'm just waiting until noon to announce all of the deals I've made with other teams."

That's gotta be the line of the week.

— Arash Madani (@ArashMadani) February 12, 2019

Yeah, I just saw that. Good one...

yeah dbs aren't the sexy pick ups, but honestly there's tons of deals to be had in free agency. Lots of times it's the big handful of names that people go nuts trying to sign who take all the cash and everyone else is signed to value deals and to me those are the ones that really make free agency worthwhile. 

Sayles...Alexandr..Gaitor..Fenner...and guy I rally like in Humes...we aren't that bad off already...I would look value signing there and put our big coin at receiver, JSK replacement  and a D-tackle or end...in that order of neccesity

Also if we can get him at a good price...like in the 155-175k range i would go at Filer too 

1 hour ago, voodoochylde said:

There's a cap and penalties in place.  The organization can spend as they see fit .. they can also (hopefully) deal with the ramifications of that as well if they go over the cap.

I don't think the league will simply "turn a blind eye" toward any team's cap situation.

In 2013 the Roughriders went over the cap, were fined just over $17,000 for it, were stuck with a bunch of back loaded contracts (otherwise they would have been way over the cap and lost draft picks too) that led to a 3-15 season in 2015. Oh, and they won the Grey Cup at home in 2013 and generated a $9 million profit for the game, and $10.4 million overall for that year.

Given the meagre penalties in place for cap violation, the ability to instantly re-build your team, and the profit generated from a Grey Cup winning season, why wouldn't EVERY team violate the cap?

If you want to prevent cap abuse, then nullify contracts at the outset if they create a situation that the team goes over.

Just now, TrueBlue4ever said:

In 2013 the Roughriders went over the cap, were fined just over $17,000 for it, were stuck with a bunch of back loaded contracts (otherwise they would have been way over the cap and lost draft picks too) that led to a 3-15 season in 2015. Oh, and they won the Grey Cup at home in 2013 and generated a $9 million profit for the game, and $10.4 million overall for that year.

Given the meagre penalties in place for cap violation, the ability to instantly re-build your team, and the profit generated from a Grey Cup winning season, why wouldn't EVERY team violate the cap?

If you want to prevent cap abuse, then nullify contracts at the outset if they create a situation that the team goes over.

NHL does it right. You can't be over or you can't register the contract. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

NHL does it right. You can't be over or you can't register the contract. 

Maybe set a percentage limit (like 80%) that you can spend to the cap before the season starts, so that you can accommodate mid-season changes due to injury or in-season signings, with every salary counting even if you cut the veteran player mid-season.

Just now, TrueBlue4ever said:

Maybe set a percentage limit (like 80%) that you can spend to the cap before the season starts, so that you can accommodate mid-season changes due to injury or in-season signings, with every salary counting even if you cut the veteran player mid-season.

Agreed. 

Also, the NHL is not quite as cut and dry as I stated but it's still pretty restrictive.