Alliance of American Football

Mr Dee

John Hodge - If you’re looking for some of the names of players who could be back in the #CFL this year following the collapse of the #AAF, here they are.

Brett Boyko, OL - property of B.C.

Stefan Charles, DL - property of the Esks.

Americans: - all free agents

Terrell Sinkfield, REC

Dylan Wynn, DL

Freddie Bishop III, DL

Khalil Bass, LB

Ciante Evans, DB

Sergio Castillo, K/P

https://3downnation.com/2019/04/02/aaf-players-who-could-be-on-their-way-back-to-the-cfl/

Got no love for Johnny Manziel ... but the way Montreal traded their seed corn and got just a couple of bad headlines in return puts me in USABomberFan rage territory.  This was a move straight out of the bad old days of the Ottawa Rough Riders, except when the Riders went out and got splashy big-name/zero-hope talent from the States (Ware, Schlichter, Manley) at least they signed 'em as free agents and didn't trade the farm away.  And now the Als' ownership is all up in the air, it's some deja vu.

There's losing teams and there's laughingstocks, and I just hate hate hate seeing any laughingstocks in the CFL. I really want to see Montreal sorted out and stable again.

I would imagine Mark Chapman's name will pop up. A receiver who is the former 1st overall pick in the CFL draft would become available too.  I wonder if he's somebody Hamilton would be looking to trade at this point.  He kind of made a decent decision.. Make a decent chunk of change in the AAF while not playing and can now get 1st overall type cfl money and be in camp in a few weeks. 

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

I would imagine Mark Chapman's name will pop up. A receiver who is the former 1st overall pick in the CFL draft would become available too.  I wonder if he's somebody Hamilton would be looking to trade at this point.  He kind of made a decent decision.. Make a decent chunk of change in the AAF while not playing and can now get 1st overall type cfl money and be in camp in a few weeks. 

He could have played in the CFL last year, no? The decision still seems boneheaded from a “Canadian”. 

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Can you name me one player from that league?

Doug Flutie,

Other notable USFLer/CFLers ( after a google search) are:

Henry "Gizmo" Williams

Phil Kessel Sr. (yes, hockey Phil's dad)

Pete Catan

Edited by ALuCsRED

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Can you name me one player from that league?

In '83 I saw the L.A Express at Arizona Wranglers in Sun Devil Stadium. Even without an NFL team at the time, Phoenix drew poorly. Other memories included an interesting rule which allowed the scoring team to go for an optional 2 point convert after a TD. The concession also sold these weird thick chips with melted cheese and sliced hot peppers....I think they were called nachos.

I have to ask. With the AAF folding, and a ton of players becoming available, does that put pressure on the CFLPA to get a deal done?

OR

Is it business as usual despite teams having more choices?

AND

Will the XFL have a wee tougher time signing players after this debacle?

On 2019-04-02 at 3:24 PM, Floyd said:

Johnny manziel would have been Montreal’s starter - now he has more time to gamble in Vegas...

fair warning to everyone eying the xfl 

Manziel is kind of a special case, though. People like Sinkfield are free to return to the CFL now that the awful's crapped out. That door is shut for Manziel and god ain't opening a window anywhere for him.

Edited by johnzo

Some more fancy football XFL style:

“XFL commissioner Oliver Luck revealed the league’s plans on the post-touchdown conversion. A team can go for one, two, or three points, and will have one play from scrimmage (no kicking) to score.”

https://thecomeback.com/nfl/xfl-announces-one-two-and-three-point-conversions-after-touchdowns.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter