Alliance of American Football

Mr Dee

On 2019-03-04 at 6:59 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Don't laugh at the AAF about that. When the Grey Cup was in Toronto 2 years ago, there was a pizza chain in Hamilton giving away Grey Cup tickets with every pizza order. Having the Grey Cup in Toronto with their (lack of)  fanbase made the CFL a laughing stock. That city should never get a Grey Cup again after that.

and yet that was a very good Grey Cup experience.    Great game in a sold out venue.   I really enjoyed that one.

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

No. (March 8, 2019)

I might need to add a time stamp along with the date stamp. 

haha probably. 

I feel like it could collapse at any time, but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow were in camp next year to start another season. Just burning through empty promises or venture capital. 

I like that these guys are getting a chance to play, I'm a big believer in leagues like circulating talent and being good for everyone. I just wish the guys got paid, but not more then the CFLers. 

16 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Story today that the NFLmay loan the AAF some qbs. I wonder what player safety & the NFLPA think of that? I doubt if they'd let this go through. The league is absolutely incapable of standing on its own.

By the sounds of it its something would be by iffy to happen in time for their second season.  The problem these days is that its all about player safety. Coaches in the NFL don't like how few reps players get in practice.  But the idea of having players play in extra games during the offseason would likely pose a push back from a players safety standpoint.

On 2019-03-09 at 6:05 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Story today that the NFLmay loan the AAF some qbs. I wonder what player safety & the NFLPA think of that? I doubt if they'd let this go through. The league is absolutely incapable of standing on its own.

IIRC don't they have some intense QB protection rules in place in the aaf? Limiting blitzing stuff I think. Not sure though.

A direct pipeline like that could mean a LOT to any of the startup leagues. 

On 2019-03-12 at 10:22 AM, Brandon said:

Baltimore 2.0 ?

very much so imo. Doesnt Oakland move to vegas next year?  Lots of interesting markets abound that would have a chance IMO. SD, oakland, san antonio, st.louis, OKC, memphis, omaha, Albuquerque, mexico city, Maybe even a shot across the bow in a canadian city. 

The problem I see is that the aafl seems like a 3rd tier pro league at best. And the last thing second-tier cities want is just that. If the XFL pushed it like they did originally or like the old world league, and AFL (pre merger) did in those markets they would have some thing. But the XFL is going to try and compete with the NFL in strong NFL markets, and the AAFLs biggest surprise is that it exists (for now). 

Rod Pederson is so impressed by the AAF, that he thinks it would make total sense for the CFL to have the Grey Cup in Orlando in the near future. I am not making this up...it's on his blog. He also thinks that the Eskimos should hire Kavis Reed as CEO. That boy has taken leave of his senses methinks.

Edited by gcn11

Yeah I'm sure the owners would love for their stadiums to all be left out of the profits that come with a grey cup lol...he must be taking advantage of the weed stores in CGY.

Seeing Johnny football might get a chance to play asap. I think he is going to light that league up honestly. His biggest issue was reading a defense with pressure in his face...considering they can only rush 5 (lol) in the Aaf, he should be fine.

What’s up with this :

The AAF's first championship game will no longer be held in Las Vegas on April 27, as originally planned. Instead, the game will now be played in the Ford Center at The Star in Frisco, Texas -- a 12,000 seat facility owned and operated by Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones. The facility is currently shared with the Cowboys, the city of Frisco and the Frisco Independent School District.

From Vegas and 36,000 seats?

https://www.cbssports.com/aaf/news/aaf-championship-game-moves-from-las-vegas-to-texas-at-facility-owned-by-jerry-jones/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Johnny looked like he did in the CFL last night, a pile of garbage. He made one good toss for 36yrds and not much more after that. He was pulled and replaced by Silvers. If you only had the sound on the TV you would think that Johnny was amazing and the Express receivers weren't good enough to play with the talent that Johnny Football is according to all the excuses the announcers were giving on why he couldn't connect on his passes. They also explained why he wasn't successful in the CFL. They said in the CFL they only have "two downs" and that the Canadian game "isn't really football" so that is why Johnny wasn't very good there. What a bunch of idiots lol! Funny thing is after Johnny was put back on the shelf last night, Silvers lead his team to a comeback win over the Iron.....with the same receivers Johnny was throwing too.

On 2019-03-20 at 9:48 AM, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah I'm sure the owners would love for their stadiums to all be left out of the profits that come with a grey cup lol...he must be taking advantage of the weed stores in CGY.

Seeing Johnny football might get a chance to play asap. I think he is going to light that league up honestly. His biggest issue was reading a defense with pressure in his face...considering they can only rush 5 (lol) in the Aaf, he should be fine.

The only benefit to that would be if it was akin to a major, major event like a Superbowl or WrestleMania and the league (and teams) shared in a greater profit.  But you'd never repair the damage to the CFL by taking the Grey Cup to the US.  Im sure the reporters would prefer a week in Orlando but thats a moronic idea.  RP must be a self-loathing CFL fan to even suggest that.

Thought the game was quite good.... didn't see manziel play but the first qb was throwing nice accurate passes. both team qb looked good.

Noticed L'Damien Washington was on one of the teams.

Seems like the defences are much better than offences.

I don't understand why people here are deriding it, and hoping it fails. It represents another chance for players to play, and maybe get another NFL chance.

For me it's a chance to watch football.

This league has the NFL behind it, and to that league, it costs very little... I'd say it will last.

Edited by Mark F

37 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Thought the game was quite good.... didn't see manziel play but the first qb was throwing nice accurate passes. both team qb looked good.

Noticed L'Damien Washington was on one of the teams.

Seems like the defences are much better than offences.

I don't understand why people here are deriding it, and hoping it fails. It represents another chance for players to play, and maybe get another NFL chance.

For me it's a chance to watch football.

This league has the NFL behind it, and to that league, it costs very little... I'd say it will last.

If it has the potential to hurt this league, of course CFL fans would want it to fail.  As it is, it seems to be trending pretty much the same way of the other "pro" leagues that have come and gone, so I'm not too worried about it.

The NFL isn't really "behind" it...they show games sure, but they pay nothing for it, and don't put money toward production...basically it's free content/filler for them during the off-season.

And they will never take it over and fund it as a feeder league as they have been there..done that and isn't worth their time or money..NCAA nad to a lesser extent the CFL is their "feeder" league and they pay noting for that..so why change the model

1 hour ago, WBBFanWest said:

If it has the potential to hurt this league

I don't think it will hurt the CFL. There are too many good players coming out of US college, that don't get to play in the NFL, to result in a shortage of players.