Alliance of American Football

Mr Dee

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The minimum salary they have will hurt us trying to sign young players.

It will hurt a bit but aside from this season (when they literally had to fill the entire league with new players) the number of players entering the AAF and sticking there will be relatively low compared with how many players NFL teams cut in training camp each year.   When you think of it how many QB's does the CFL take off the available market each season?   Maybe 5 qb's who come up here and stick on the roster?  CFL teams either pass on entirely or cut kinds of talent and the AAF will be no different.  The cfl famously passed on Kurt Warner for example. Except for a select few players who actually make one of these pro leagues there won't be much of a decrease in the available talent. For example, if you're you've identified a player who you'd like to sign in November he might want to give the AAF a try.  But if he fails to make the roster that same player will most certainly be interested in the CFL come February or March. There are certain qualities that separate a talented player from a guy who actually makes it in the CFL and I don't think those same qualities will necessarily translate to them having an impact in the AAF.  To me it's really a crap shoot.  You bring a bunch of talent to CFL camp and its difficult to predict which players will stick and which will not.  I don't expect that the level of training camp talent brought in will be largely affected by the AAF. 

Im a big proponent of sports leagues who have names that roll of your tongue.  

NHL. CFL. NFL. NBA. 

AAF? Not so much. Think the name makes it sound amateur. Alliance of American Football.. Just no.

It's pretty apparent Americans only will support the NFL.. Its about talent..  AAF has CFL cuts.. Guys who weren't good enough here.. I see Trent Richardson is a star there.. 

This will last a year or 2 at most. XFL will last a year or 2 also. Theres just no appetite for an NFL alternative. 

Edited by Goalie

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

👁‍🗨It looks like the NFL network isn’t panning the crowd for some reason. Either it’s a fixed camera and it’s out of their scope or..they don’t want you to see the crowd.

👁‍🗨I’m not saying there’s not many fans at the Salt Lake - Arizona Alliance game, but the announcer mentions them by their names.

👁‍🗨Those announcers are pretty dull. Time to leave this game.

Went to a football game in Arizona & an Argo game broke out. 

well most of these guys in AAF have already completed college...or are fringe NFL guys in mid late 20's who are 5-8 years removed from school..and probably in a point in life where going to school isn't practical anymore..so that lil nugget is really a big whoopdido

you lose eligability once you've been enrolled for 4 years...5 if you red-shirt or have an injury lost year

This is more for continued education, but many of the players want income...not more school and already have completed school anyway

2 hours ago, Sard said:

That's only around 17 Celcius... For someone living in Arizona, they probably would consider that pretty cold.

Last spring we visited my in-laws in Mesa.  It was in the low 20's everyday and sunny.  We had the gated community pool to ourselves.  Our nicest mild summer days are basically winter to them.

15 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

asking $200 for sideline seats and $57 for end zone seats

This is why they are advertising the higher pay and the added perks of health insurance to the players along with college money etc. But what the AAF forgot is you need to fans to pay those high price ticket costs to be able to pay that $ to the players. When this fails, it will be because of the upside down revenue. Players that sign in this AAF should think about one thing....no ticky no laundry. 

15 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

In case you’re wondering why so many empty seats for @TheAAF‘s first game in Arizona where it’s 62°... asking $200 for sideline seats and $57 for end zone seats - Thomas Galvin

That's for a pair of seats. $90 + fees ($13.50 service fee, $1 facility fee) for tickets at the 50. $20 + fees ($4.50 service fee, $1 facility fee) for end zone tickets. 

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

Should this thread not be in the "other" section as it is not about either the Bombers or the CFL?

I suppose if you want to get sticky about it, you are probably right

but

This new league might have already had an effect on the CFL and the Bombers..it’s just we haven’t identified the areas where it does crossover.

So, one could argue that there is relevance to this thread being right where it is, especially at this time of year.

23 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I suppose if you want to get sticky about it, you are probably right

but

This new league might have already had an effect on the CFL and the Bombers..it’s just we haven’t identified the areas where it does crossover.

So, one could argue that there is relevance to this thread being right where it is, especially at this time of year.

To argue the point: so does the NFL and the Australian Rugby Union. Where to stop?