The Gender Pay Gap

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

What research?

I suppose you can start here: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0095399716636928

Then, you can read all the papers they cite. Then you can go through Google Scholar to see everything that has been peer reviewed and published.

I think you'll be astonished that despite working for 30 years, it does not make you an expert (or even informed) on the gender pay gap that exists.

The pay gap doesn't exist... every paper I read has said that men gravitate towards jobs that pay more,  while ladies tend to gravitate to jobs that don't pay as much.   Human nature that men are more into the math and science while the ladies are more into administrative and health care jobs.

It's human nature that women are more likely wanting to take maternity leave then the father ,   this is a massive factor when they claim "pay gap differentials".  

You can't say that scientifically Men and Women are build the same,   so of course the end results of who makes more won't be equal 50/50.  

I myself have never seen two people doing the exact same job where one gender was paid more then another.    I'd love to see real world examples of someone working at Wal-Mart making 15 dollars because they were a male , meanwhile a female was given only 10 dollars in pay because she was a female.  Nobody ever gives these kinds of examples because in North America this does not exist at all. 

The old  their is 85% of CEO's being male bla bla bla...  I don't buy any of that crap.   As I said before private enterprise companies will hire whoever can make them the most money.   More men are qualified for upper level management because scientifically men are build to be better leaders.  

I definitely can agree with Kelowna because I've never worked anywhere or seen anywhere where a man was paid more because of his gender.    

Studies are bull **** and you can find a study backing anything you want.  

35 minutes ago, JCon said:

Since science is clearly out, I recommend that those that "don't see it so it can't be true" read this: The Death of Expertise: The Campaign Against Established Knowledge and Why it Matters

You can get it at the library. 

Or I can continue living life in the real world and live in a place where gender pay gap does not exist...  feel free to share JCon of your workplace and how they pay men more then ladies.  That I would be interested in.

Edited by Brandon

On 2019-01-25 at 12:54 PM, Brandon said:

Or I can continue living life in the real world and live in a place where gender pay gap does not exist...  feel free to share JCon of your workplace and how they pay men more then ladies.  That I would be interested in.

I agree. It seems to me that those who want to push this pay gap concept are doing so purely for political purposes. If you watch the first video that I posted that was one of the points of the feminist author.  There seems to be an entire industry built around perpetuating this victimhood mentality, and those pre-disposed to believe it exists because it conforms with their biases will continue to believe it, no matter what.

On 2019-01-25 at 10:16 AM, Mark H. said:

There are more males on the admin side - in spite of teaching being a profession that is 80% female - they get paid more. I explained this several weeks ago. 

So if you watch the video I posted to start the thread, this is no different than the male CEO situation and the prior generation, and will correct itself as the new generation takes over.  So not really an issue at all.

On 2019-01-25 at 12:18 PM, JCon said:

Since science is clearly out, I recommend that those that "don't see it so it can't be true" read this: The Death of Expertise: The Campaign Against Established Knowledge and Why it Matters

You can get it at the library. 

Sounds more like people with closed minds who are trying to rationalize away any challenges to established and probably incorrectly held "beliefs" that society has been force-fed and told to be true, and then reinforced with immediate insults if challenged, in this case "misogynist" is always the "go to" should established norms be questioned. I am glad so far this thread hasn't devolved into that.  Though it would be nice if someone could explain what Bilderburg is.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

On 2019-01-25 at 12:01 PM, Brandon said:

The pay gap doesn't exist... every paper I read has said that men gravitate towards jobs that pay more,  while ladies tend to gravitate to jobs that don't pay as much.   Human nature that men are more into the math and science while the ladies are more into administrative and health care jobs.

It's human nature that women are more likely wanting to take maternity leave then the father ,   this is a massive factor when they claim "pay gap differentials".  

You can't say that scientifically Men and Women are build the same,   so of course the end results of who makes more won't be equal 50/50.  

This was exactly Jordan Peterson's point. In Scandinavian societies where they have bent over backwards to be as equal as possible, more women gravitate to health care and lower paying jobs with more time off.  You can't fight human nature.

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

So if you watch the video I posted to start the thread, this is no different than the male CEO situation and the prior generation, and will correct itself as the new generation takes over.  So not really an issue at all.

It's different because teaching is a profession with a high percentage of women overall. 

4 hours ago, Mark H. said:

It's different because teaching is a profession with a high percentage of women overall. 

So are you saying that there are a disproportionate number of men being promoted to management in the teaching profession in Manitoba?   If so, is this due to blatant sexism, or could there be other factors at play here?

11 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

So are you saying that there are a disproportionate number of men being promoted to management in the teaching profession in Manitoba?   If so, is this due to blatant sexism, or could there be other factors at play here?

It could be both or neither, certainly not either or.  Believe it or not, the issue is on the unions’ and governments’ radar and is currently under review. 

The original question is: does it exist?

Answer: yes

13 hours ago, Mark H. said:

It could be both or neither, certainly not either or.  Believe it or not, the issue is on the unions’ and governments’ radar and is currently under review. 

The original question is: does it exist?

Answer: yes

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I say the answer is: no

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/columnists/douglas-todd-surprise-rising-equality-is-accentuating-male-and-female-differences

Given the mostly outdoor and often high-risk nature of such men’s jobs, it’s no wonder that males account for nine out of 10 workplace deaths. As Pinker has found, women prefer “meaningful and connected jobs,” as well as working part time. Men are more likely to take harsh full-time jobs to earn more money and provide for their children and spouse.

On 2019-01-15 at 10:30 PM, kelownabomberfan said:

I think I will side with #33 on this one and give an FU to Mark Shouldice. 

You should do a bit of research on Mark... he's a bit of a travelling snake oil salesman... Plus, nothing he says is really original, it's all a rehash from other alt-right youboobers. Just check out when he is releasing his material- it's almost always after someone else has posted the talking points.

Plus, you make it a point to be civilized and denounce hate, yet you post this ****? 

It's like if I were to denounce racism and make it a point to be civilized and then post a Charlottesville video with pro-alt right view point.... I don't understand, do you not see how gleefully hateful and intolerant Mark Shouldice is?

What you post to share with us, reflects on you. If Shouldice is someone that reflects who you are, then ok... keep it up, that is your prerogative..

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

22 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:
What you post to share with us, reflects on you. 

Talk about one single statement being packed with tons of hypocrisy, irony and lack of self awareness all in one. I may post videos you disagree with, just as you post stuff I disagree with, however I never advocate violence,  at least not to my knowledge.  You on the other hand talk about "throat punches" (in this thread!!) and wish death upon people who disagree with you. And you are going to lecture me on how my posts reflect on me? Is this a sick joke?

I do regret posting the Mark Dice video (can't remember why I did) in this thread as I should have known that it would trigger the usual suspects, and worse, provide a perfect excuse to derail this thread. I've noticed that this topic makes some people uncomfortable, mostly because it questions a basic (and so far unproven) societal "truth", that turns out to be  not true at all. And that's healthy I think, to question ideas and accepted "truths".

We all live in bubbles of our own creation. So we surround ourselves with people who think like us. It would be exhausting otherwise. In your bubble of friends, you probably are told that "throat punches" against those who have different views are a good idea. I don't think so. So I will continue to post videos that offend you, and you can continue to propose violence and death as solutions and offend me. As Jordan Peterson says (oh no another trigger warning) "in order to think you must be offensive" or something to that effect. 

Now back to the topic:

Gender pay gap - does it exist? I say no. Change my mind.

27 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Talk about one single statement being packed with tons of hypocrisy, irony and lack of self awareness all in one. I may post videos you disagree with, just as you post stuff I disagree with, however I never advocate violence,  at least not to my knowledge.  You on the other hand talk about "throat punches" (in this thread!!) and wish death upon people who disagree with you. And you are going to lecture me on how my posts reflect on me? Is this a sick joke?

Firstly, I am kidding- I am not really going to throat punch anyone. Nor do I want to kill anyone (sheesh, can't believe this needs clarification). I don't think I really ever call forth for civil discourse and namby-pamby hugging it out like you want- not my thing. So, what I post is an accurate reflection of me as long as you take it in jest.

You however claim to try and bridge the divide and such stuff yet post inflammatory rhetoric filled videos which undermines your sincerity at wanting civil discourse and namby-pamby hugging it out. 

I do regret posting the Mark Dice video (can't remember why I did) in this thread as I should have known that it would trigger the usual suspects, and worse, provide a perfect excuse to derail this thread. I've noticed that this topic makes some people uncomfortable, mostly because it questions a basic (and so far unproven) societal "truth", that turns out to be  not true at all. And that's healthy I think, to question ideas and accepted "truths".

You post that mark shouldice **** and don't expect a "triggered response"? I don't buy it- your not a ******* moron, you are pretty bright. Also, it doesn't question societal truths (for a good debate or questioning of liberal ideal- check out ben shapiro, he's good) MArk just denigrates, makes fun of and basically shits all over stuff- that is not questioning societal "truths"- that is just taking a dump on the left position- that's all that guy is good for- spewing verbal diarrhea on leftist ideal.

Now back to the topic:

Gender pay gap - does it exist? I say no. Change my mind.

Gender pay gap - does it exist? I say yes. Change your mind? Ain't gonna happen- when have you ever been swayed to a leftist position?

Only you can change your mind if you are open to it- you have the tools for it, if you really want to educate yourself on the topic, you can.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

I agree with wiki

The gender pay gap in the United States is the ratio of female-to-male median or average (depending on the source) yearly earnings among full-time, year-round workers.

The average woman's unadjusted annual salary has been cited as 78%[2] to 82%[3] of that of the average man's. However, after adjusting for choices made by male and female workers in college major, occupation, working hours, and parental leave, multiple studies find that pay rates between males and females varied by 5–6.6% or, females earning 94 cents to every dollar earned by their male counterparts. The remaining 6% of the gap has been speculated to originate from gender discrimination and a difference in ability and/or willingness to negotiate salaries.[4][5][6]

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Firstly, I am kidding- I am not really going to throat punch anyone. Nor do I want to kill anyone (sheesh, can't believe this needs clarification). I don't think I really ever call forth for civil discourse and namby-pamby hugging it out like you want- not my thing. So, what I post is an accurate reflection of me as long as you take it in jest.

Oh ok. So when you propose violence it should be "all in good fun", yet if I post a video the views of the person in the video reflect my entire character and who I am. Good grief that's so ridiculous I don't know where to start.

You however claim to try and bridge the divide and such stuff yet post inflammatory rhetoric filled videos which undermines your sincerity at wanting civil discourse and namby-pamby hugging it out. 

That video shouldn't have been posted. My bad. Still think that no one wins when "throat punching" is presented as the main  response. There should be a middle ground.

I don't buy it- your not a ******* moron, you are pretty bright. Also, it doesn't question societal truths 

I didn't say that Mark Dice video questioned a societal truth. I said that this thread does that. The one questioning the existence of a gender pay gap. You are bright enough to have understood that.

Gender pay gap - does it exist? I say yes. Change your mind? Ain't gonna happen- when have you ever been swayed to a leftist position?

I don't understand how this is a "leftist position". To me it's a simple "yes" or "no". Politics be darned. But at least you admit that it's a leftist position, and not a reality.  I agree, this entire "gap" was invented by leftists, to make women feel like victims. Erroneously. 

Its vote-grabbing under completely false pretenses. It's part of the bigger definition of "social justice": the stubborn application of unworkable solutions to imaginary problems". As you have just stated, this is just a "leftist position", and a completely imaginary problem.  Unlike the gender age gap, where women live 4 years longer than men. THAT is real. Why don't leftists have a position on that? Because men make bad victims?

Only you can change your mind if you are open to it- you have the tools for it, if you really want to educate yourself on the topic, you can.

And as sanctimonious as this statement is, all I can say is, same right back at you. Open your mind and start to question some of the lies you have swallowed wholesale. They will only just continue to control you and your entire life views if you don't. You can do it, you have the tools.