Halfway point of 2018/19

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I really don't think it's such an incomprehensible thing to think Laine might get dealt. Especially if he continues to underperform the way he has so far this season....

On pace for almost 50 goals. Underperforming. 🤣

If he's underperforming and gets close to 50 goals, why on Earth would the Jets trade him? 

28 minutes ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

I can't see them trading Laine.  Only 20 years old.  Plenty of time to reach his potential.  But I think Trouba is a goner after this season.  Someone has to go so we can keep Connor and Laine.  Letting Myers and Chairot walk probably won't be enough. 

My math, not knowing whether a player wants to stay or not and not knowing exactly what each player will command,  controlling for all those things, will it be impossible to keep everyone we have now for next season?

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

That has nothing to do with the false point you tried to make.  Now you're saying if the Jets keep Laine they might not have enough room under the cap for other players?  So you're saying signing Laine might make the Jets right at the top of the cap?  

And if every team is a budget team then how is your original point a criticism of the Jets?

We;ve broken down the numbers before.  I did it just a couple weeks ago.  Its tight but Jets probably keep everyone they want.

personally i can't see the jets thinking of giving up on laine any time soon. he has shown enough already that he is worth the patience and further development from the management team.

43 minutes ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

I can't see them trading Laine.  Only 20 years old.  Plenty of time to reach his potential.  But I think Trouba is a goner after this season.  Someone has to go so we can keep Connor and Laine.  Letting Myers and Chairot walk probably won't be enough. 

Trouba/Jets have one more arbitration hearing to go through :D

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

Don't get me wrong..I'm all for keeping Laine. He's a one trick pony, but it's a hell of a trick. Thing is, his agent can't be asking for the moon this off-season. He hasn't come close to earning that Matthews/McJesus money yet...

Why? Hes a 40 to 50 goal scorer at 20. Goals win games. Get him a center who isn't Little and he'd be ridiculous. 

8 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Trouba/Jets have one more arbitration hearing to go through :D

And odds are he'll ask for 7-8 million, we'll offer 5-6 million and the arbitrator will meet in the middle at 6 million. And then we lose him to FA after next season for nothing or a meh deadline deal. 

Even at 6M that will be tough to fit into our salary cap next season with who we have to resign and with Wheeler's contract going up as well.  The obvious players to trade for cap relief all have no trade/move clauses or bloated contracts (Buff, Little, Perreault and Kulikov) and are still very useful to the team. Even Brossoit will be due a nice raise next season.

Trouba is the one guy we can trade and get good value for since he'd still be rfa. Personally I want to keep him, badly. But unless we could get him on a bridge deal to carry through when Buff's contract is up, I don't think we can afford the longterm deal at 7.5+ he'll surely want. Assuming he wants to even stay here. Hopefully Chevy can glean his intentions in the next month or two during contract talks.

If Connor, Laine and Trouba were all done with rfa at the same time then maybe I'd look at the forwards more than Trouba. But we have control of Laine and Connor for a few more seasons. We don't with Trouba. If Chevy can find a way to keep all three he can be GM for life. 

9 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

My math, not knowing whether a player wants to stay or not and not knowing exactly what each player will command,  controlling for all those things, will it be impossible to keep everyone we have now for next season?

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/jets

Going by these numbers from capfriendly it will be very tough next season.

4 hours ago, Goalie said:

Why? Hes a 40 to 50 goal scorer at 20. Goals win games. Get him a center who isn't Little and he'd be ridiculous. 

It's not as simple as just saying get him a better centreman. Outside of November, he's having a lousy season and is not playing well. That's on him, not his linemates.