Riel Discussion

Tracker

On 2019-01-03 at 10:26 AM, Zontar said:

This is the city that rejected hosting the Commonwealth Games and tore down a statue of its founder . The people behind the bid might have their ducks in row with nice pictures and charts but it's the politicians  who control the money.

Ummmm....the city did not tear the statue down- it was taken off its pedestal and put into storage. Cornwallis was rightfully disgraced- he put a bounty out on the local Miqmaqs and paid for every scalp- men, women or children.

3 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Ummmm....the city did not tear the statue down- it was taken off its pedestal and put into storage. Cornwallis was rightfully disgraced- he put a bounty out on the local Miqmaqs and paid for every scalp- men, women or children.

Why is Louis Riel's statue not taken down? He ordered Thomas Scott executed. .

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why is Louis Riel's statue not taken down? He ordered Thomas Scott executed. .

Yes, he ordered an execution after holding a trial in an essentially ungoverned part of Canada versus someone who put a bounty on people because they're "different".  That is a monstrously dumb comment and if you truly can't see the difference then there is no point in trying to have any further discussion.

18 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Yes, he ordered an execution after holding a trial in an essentially ungoverned part of Canada versus someone who put a bounty on people because they're "different".  That is a monstrously dumb comment and if you truly can't see the difference then there is no point in trying to have any further discussion.

On a lighter note I know a family who has an old handed down story of Riel hiding out on their farm while he was on the run...... 

22 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

****** redneck social justice warriors are just as annoying as liberal SJWs and it's just as pointless trying to discuss/debate anything with them. 

5 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

This is utilitarianism thinking... you can justify anything provided it is for the benefit of the many...

I was commenting on the comparison that was made between Riel and Cornwallis.  For the record, I don't think Riel should have executed Thomas Scott, it was one of the mistakes he made.  

Unless your comment was addressing something else...

8 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I don't think many statues will be left in a few years. William Lyon McKenzie King denied many Jewish immigrants entry to Canada in the 1930's because he was scared of losing votes in Quebec.  A lot of those immigrants died. Should he have a statue?

Agreed - the whole 'taking down statues issue' is just ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Agreed - the whole 'taking down statues issue' is just ridiculous.

Think of it in context, which great politician/leader of the last 40 years deserves to be immortalized by a statue???  Probably none, upon examination they all have their faults and an army of detractors that will emphasize them, the mere suggestion of erecting a statue in their memory would be laughed at.  As a society we don't do statues anymore, mostly because there is an increased level of scrutiny and whitewashing the reality is more difficult to ignore.  The Greeks had it right, immortalize gods and concepts, skip the humans.

5 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

History is written by the winners.

I always thought it was written by the Victors, but then I realized that it was supposed to be "small v" and not guys named Victor.  Other than Victor Hugo of course.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

5 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Think of it in context, which great politician/leader of the last 40 years deserves to be immortalized by a statue???  Probably none, upon examination they all have their faults and an army of detractors that will emphasize them, the mere suggestion of erecting a statue in their memory would be laughed at.  As a society we don't do statues anymore, mostly because there is an increased level of scrutiny and whitewashing the reality is more difficult to ignore.  The Greeks had it right, immortalize gods and concepts, skip the humans.

Last 40 years?  Try last 100 years! 

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Several chaps from the last 100 years are on our currency - must be some statues around too.

I am partial to Wilfrid Laurier (on the five dollar bill) because he was a staunch free-trader and also stood up to the British and refused to buy a useless battle ship from them.  But that's just me.  What I didn't learn in school was that he was a total racist too apparently, towards FA and the Chinese.  Of course he was a Liberal, just like King, and so their statues are safe for now. No one who governed in the past 100 years is clean when judged by today's moral standards.

Edited by kelownabomberfan