The CBA

JCon

I'm opening an topic to discuss the expiration of the current CFL/CFLPA CBA, the ongoing negotiations and, hopefully, the quick announcement of a new CBA. 

Here's a link to the components of the existing CBA: CFL/CFLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement, which expires the day before the 2019 training camp starts.. 

What does the CFL like about the current agreement? What don't they like?

What does the CFLPA like about the current agreement? What don't they like? 

What would you like or dislike about the current agreement? 

Presumably the new agreement will include language around the expansion team in Halifax and potential games in Mexico and Mexican players. 

Also, I expect to see an increase to the cap but how much? 

2 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I could see the return of the Rocket Ismail 'special player' contract...  except just for the QBs

Not a big fan of that rule.  It will give teams with elite qb's a distinct advantage over the rest of the league.   Its good the way it is now I think.  We went from having the special player rule and paying guys like Flutie a million dollars a year to removing it and seeing guys like Burris leave because they were only able to make 150k a year in the CFL.  The way it is now a QB who's special can get paid a lot of money in the 500 to 600k range.  Teams who are lucky enough to have a qb in this range likely have to make sacrifices on the rest of the team which you saw in Edmonton last season.  Its good the way it is i think.

One thing I'd like to see added to the CBA is some form of guaranteed contracts. It would need to be optional and maybe players would have to be in the league for X number of years to qualify.  It could be beneficial. Some players would take less money for the guaranteed bucks which could work out well for both player and team.  It could also help to keep top QB's from trying the NFL.  If you could offer Bo a 4 year deal for 2 million dollars with 70% of that guaranteed a guy like that might be less likely to take the NFL risk.

10 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Not a big fan of that rule.  It will give teams with elite qb's a distinct advantage over the rest of the league.   Its good the way it is now I think.  We went from having the special player rule and paying guys like Flutie a million dollars a year to removing it and seeing guys like Burris leave because they were only able to make 150k a year in the CFL.  The way it is now a QB who's special can get paid a lot of money in the 500 to 600k range.  Teams who are lucky enough to have a qb in this range likely have to make sacrifices on the rest of the team which you saw in Edmonton last season.  Its good the way it is i think.

I didn't say I was a huge fan ha...  but I could see them bringing it back as a means to attract 'star power'... like the ability to leave up to $200k off the cap for a 'franchise player'

In Winnipeg, you probably still pay Nichols $400k but you wrap up Bighill for two years at $350k per... something like that

2 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I didn't say I was a huge fan ha...  but I could see them bringing it back as a means to attract 'star power'... like the ability to leave up to $200k off the cap for a 'franchise player'

In Winnipeg, you probably still pay Nichols $400k but you wrap up Bighill for two years at $350k per... something like that

Im in favor of whatever gets Bighill back here! :)

I

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

Franchise tag seems to be working fairly well in the NFL for both teams and players...  I really think it gets added to the CBA

Id also like to see some form of compensation when you draft a Canadian in the first round and the player leaves as a free-agent after just 2 seasons. Depending on the quality of the guy there could be a compensation system similar to MLB.

2 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

Id also like to see some form of compensation when you draft a Canadian in the first round and the player leaves as a free-agent after just 2 seasons. Depending on the quality of the guy there could be a compensation system similar to MLB.

Totally agree on this one - even for draft picks that you don't sign or go back to school... think we lost Lattanzio after final cuts, etc...  should automatically have their rights for two years

Then for first round picks - allmost same idea as 'franchise player'...  'franchise draft pick' maybe - keep their rights if you make them top five highest paid sophomore 

5 hours ago, Floyd said:

Totally agree on this one - even for draft picks that you don't sign or go back to school... think we lost Lattanzio after final cuts, etc...  should automatically have their rights for two years

Then for first round picks - allmost same idea as 'franchise player'...  'franchise draft pick' maybe - keep their rights if you make them top five highest paid sophomore 

Over the CFLPA's dead body. They will fight to keep UFA. I don't expect any restricted FA or compensation. Or franchise tag. I do hope the floor goes up significantly for rookies. 

2 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

So - the ‘franchise tag’ was actually in the CBA at some point? 

I don't recall any player being called that in relation to the CBA. As was pointed out, there used to be separate personal services contracts signed separately by players back in the 90's. Didn't count against the $$$ amount of salary s a team spent as the owner negotiated it.  I remember Doug Flutie had a $250,000 contract with the Stamps & a million dollar contract with then Stamps owner Larry Ryckman…. who stiffed Flutie by never paying him. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't recall any player being called that in relation to the CBA. As was pointed out, there used to be separate personal services contracts signed separately by players back in the 90's. Didn't count against the $$$ amount of salary s a team spent as the owner negotiated it.  I remember Doug Flutie had a $250,000 contract with the Stamps & a million dollar contract with then Stamps owner Larry Ryckman…. who stiffed Flutie by never paying him. 

Ok - I’m surprised the CFLPA ever let that happen. 

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

There was no salary cap so the rich teams could raid the poorer teams. The CFLPA was fine with it as a lot of players were making good money although most teams were hemhorraging money.

I can definitely see where the CFLPA has an issue currently with a cap that is designed around the lowest teams in terms of revenue and no revenue sharing model like in other leagues. 

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Ryckman did that to a lot of Calgary businesses and people.

I couldn't remember, so I looked up the current CFL-TSN agreement. It was extended in 2015 to 2021. https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-tsn-and-rds-extend-broadcast-agreement-through-2021-1.294294

So, there won't be much new media money for a few years. The only way to increase revenue is through expansion, the gate and sponsorships. 

Just now, TBURGESS said:

I'd like to see the League Minimum salary go up and an adjustment to the SMS to accommodate that. The 'foot soldiers' need a raise more than the stars.

I agree with you. 

But, if you're a star, why wouldn't you want to go to the AAFL? Make more USD and play closer to home? Also, more eyes on you for your chance of getting to the NFL? 

I'll be curious to see if the CFLPA pushes for an earlier FA to free up players to take contracts down south. 

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

I agree with you. 

But, if you're a star, why wouldn't you want to go to the AAFL? Make more USD and play closer to home? Also, more eyes on you for your chance of getting to the NFL? 

I'll be curious to see if the CFLPA pushes for an earlier FA to free up players to take contracts down south. 

CFL stars are making more than the AAFL is paying. I doubt we lose (m)any of our stars to them.