classic Bomber game: 1984 home game vs. BC

johnzo

This game is against the Don Matthews / Roy DeWalt era Lions. They were the Stampeders of that era, a powerhouse team with great depth and zero weak points. BC Place was rough on visiting teams, with sellout crowds generating unprecedented noise and making Cal Murphy and Tom Clements sour in the media.  From 1983-1987 the Lions were 60-23-1, losing the Grey Cup in 1983 and winning in 1985.  We very rarely beat them. IMO we got kind of lucky during the 1984 Western Final because DeWalt was injured and he was the only guy the Lions couldn't easily replace.

This game shows what the Bomber defence of the glory days could do at its absolute best.  Ty Jones in particular was beasting and feasting.  BC had -50 yards of net offence after the first quarter and -2 at the half. Tom Clements wasn't very sharp on the day but it didn't matter, our D was so dominant, Reaves hit the century mark by halftime, and Hufnagel had a real nice fourth quarter to get the save.

If you're gonna vote in the all-time MBB team polls, watch this. Several all-timers and candidates here -- Jones, Poplawski, House, Cameron, Murphy, Boyd, Norman, Reaves ... weird to look back at a day when a Reaves wasn't a heel in Winnipeg...

Edited by johnzo

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Well, his sons have not covered themselves in glory. Ryan was a thorn in the sides of the Jets.

Don't necessarily lump Willard in with his kids when it comes to not covering oneself in glory, and Ryan only plays on a rival team and talks smack like many pro athletes, so nothing too controversial there. I make no further comment.

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Don't necessarily lump Willard in with his kids when it comes to not covering oneself in glory, and Ryan only plays on a rival team and talks smack like many pro athletes, so nothing too controversial there. I make no further comment.

Ryan is a good, hard-nosed hockey player of whom I can say nothing bad.

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I was at this game.  I remember feeling sorry for Roy Dewalt because he was getting beaten up so bad by the defense.  Ty Jones seemed to be behind the line of scrimmage and in Dewalt's face almost after every snap.  He must have been seeing Jones in his nightmares that night.   

My favorite play is at 1:01:47 when the Lions finally go to the screen to slow down the Bomber pass rush -- but Aaron Brown has it scouted, he blows up the BC back, we recover the fumble and score the 14-0 touchdown with a minute to go in the half.

Damn, this is a great game to watch.  this video is cued to the the play in question.

Edited by johnzo

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

2:25:08 - Huffer comes trotting on to the field, and leads the team to a TD, throwing a rainbow to Jeff Boyd.

Those 25-yard endzones were so dope.  Love those 30-yard TD passes from the 5.

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Huff wasn't very fleet of foot but he sure was accurate.

Check out 2:28:08 ... the Lions bite so hard on a fake to Reaves that Huffer bootlegs to the wide side for 18 yards!  Reaves was in their heads that day.  Couldn't stop him.

4 hours ago, johnzo said:

Those 25-yard endzones were so dope.  Love those 30-yard TD passes from the 5.

Check out 2:28:08 ... the Lions bite so hard on a fake to Reaves that Huffer bootlegs to the wide side for 18 yards!  Reaves was in their heads that day.  Couldn't stop him.

Huff looked a lot like Streveler on that play!