Game 31 : Oil Tanker Train

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

The bar is so high that a 2 point night for McDavid is considering shutting him down. Do you hear yourself? I mean yeah he didn't get 4 points and win the game all by his lonesome like last time these teams played but to suggest that they shut down a guy and he still picked up 2 points and rang the bar in OT and may well have won the game there is shut down.... get over yourselves. 

You know what stops me from really getting behind the Jets? The fact that Jets fans act like Rider fans. 

I think what stops you from getting behind the Jets is you cheer for another team. And what irritates me about the Oilers is being rewarded with the best player on the planet (and other consecutive 1st round draft picks) for losing. During the Oilers futility years, if the NHL did what European soccer does, the Oilers would have been regulated to playing the Oil Kings. I think some here recognize when the Jets don't deserve something  but we really don't feel we need to applaud your Oilers.

7 hours ago, 17to85 said:

The bar is so high that a 2 point night for McDavid is considering shutting him down. Do you hear yourself? I mean yeah he didn't get 4 points and win the game all by his lonesome like last time these teams played but to suggest that they shut down a guy and he still picked up 2 points and rang the bar in OT and may well have won the game there is shut down.... get over yourselves. 

You know what stops me from really getting behind the Jets? The fact that Jets fans act like Rider fans. 

Just checked the stats while watching the Hawks game....

Yeah - 1 shot on goal and two shitty penalties is shutting McDavid down

You and Noeller have actually demonstrated how Oilers fans are still actually the RiderFans after all these years...

13 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

And what irritates me about the Oilers is being rewarded with the best player on the planet (and other consecutive 1st round draft picks) for losing.

Keep in mind that the Oilers never would have got McDavid if the NHL hadn't changed the draft lottery. Getting him was blind stupid luck, it was also luck that they got the first overall pick that netted them Yakupov.... How fortunate....

13 hours ago, Floyd said:

Just checked the stats while watching the Hawks game....

Yeah - 1 shot on goal and two shitty penalties is shutting McDavid down

You and Noeller have actually demonstrated how Oilers fans are still actually the RiderFans after all these years...

This is what I know...Bombers fans shouldnt be dissing anyone but themselves for 28 years of futility. Riders have what 3 cups in that time.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Keep in mind that the Oilers never would have got McDavid if the NHL hadn't changed the draft lottery. Getting him was blind stupid luck, it was also luck that they got the first overall pick that netted them Yakupov.... How fortunate....

They still had their odds improved because of losing. I understand the parity argument but still annoying.

17 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What about our lottery luck with the Laine pick? 

The issue people take with Edmonton is despite having the first overall pick for 3 years in a row, 2010 - 2012, they still sucked enough to win the McDavid sweepstakes in 2015.  You would think being gifted those draft picks, they could have been something 5 years later.

Jets were lucky to move up to get Laine in that draft year, but we didn't even get the 1st overall pick ,let alone 4 in 6 years.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

The issue people take with Edmonton is despite having the first overall pick for 3 years in a row, 2010 - 2012, they still sucked enough to win the McDavid sweepstakes in 2015.  You would think being gifted those draft picks, they could have been something 5 years later.

Jets were lucky to move up to get Laine in that draft year, but we didn't even get the 1st overall pick ,let alone 4 in 6 years.

Just shows what good mgmt. can do as opposed to bad management. Peter Ciarrelli in Edmonton should be fired. he has made questionable picks & trades since he was hired by the Oilers. One wonders how long the players will play for Hitchcock before they stop performing for him as well. 

12 hours ago, Rich said:

yeah but the people who made those picks have been fired. The Oilers problem was simple, their drafting was garbage and their farm system was worse. It was really only since Chiarelli that the drafting has improved and the farm team isn't a total gong show. Yes Chiarelli has made some bad trades, but the guy has made some good moves too and the Oilers are a better team than last season or the start to this season showed. Mclellan lost it last season and never got it back. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

yeah but the people who made those picks have been fired. The Oilers problem was simple, their drafting was garbage and their farm system was worse. It was really only since Chiarelli that the drafting has improved and the farm team isn't a total gong show. Yes Chiarelli has made some bad trades, but the guy has made some good moves too and the Oilers are a better team than last season or the start to this season showed. Mclellan lost it last season and never got it back. 

Agreed and that is the exact reason people dislike the Oilers.    Doesn’t matter who is in charge now. They rewarded with 1st overall pick after 1st overall pick due to incompetence.  

Thats not how the draft system should work. 

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

Agreed and that is the exact reason people dislike the Oilers.    Doesn’t matter who is in charge now. They rewarded with 1st overall pick after 1st overall pick due to incompetence.  

Thats not how the draft system should work. 

The only 2 first overalls they earned were Hall and RNH (and even RNH New Jersey actually won the lottery, just couldn't move up past 4) the other times it was just dumb luck, so I really don't get hung up on that. Not like they were dead last 4 years in a row. They didn't go full on Buffalo trying to tank for McDavid. 

So really, if the draft doesn't reward poor teams how are they ever supposed to get better? Why not give the best players to the best teams? That's sure to help the situation. 

16 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The only 2 first overalls they earned were Hall and RNH (and even RNH New Jersey actually won the lottery, just couldn't move up past 4) the other times it was just dumb luck, so I really don't get hung up on that. Not like they were dead last 4 years in a row. They didn't go full on Buffalo trying to tank for McDavid. 

So really, if the draft doesn't reward poor teams how are they ever supposed to get better? Why not give the best players to the best teams? That's sure to help the situation. 

Of course you don't get hung up on that, you are a fan of the team.

Even if you give them a pass on drafting Yakupov for the bust that he was, the Oilers draft record outside of the first round is just atrocious.  Any semi competent organization who had the picks and opportunity they've had since 2010 should have never even been in the lottery for McDavid.   

3 hours ago, Rich said:

Of course you don't get hung up on that, you are a fan of the team.

Even if you give them a pass on drafting Yakupov for the bust that he was, the Oilers draft record outside of the first round is just atrocious.  Any semi competent organization who had the picks and opportunity they've had since 2010 should have never even been in the lottery for McDavid.   

which is why everyone involved in that mess was fired... 

On 2018-12-14 at 3:29 PM, 17to85 said:

I mean hey if holding a guy to 2 points is shutting him down go on and believe that. 

I already said the jets were too good a team to expect the Oilers to win I  regulation missing half of their top 4 D, but you all act like the jets are so far superior that somehow it wouldn't have made a difference. I am not the only one who sees it, jets fans act exactly like rider fans do.

Oh. Oilers fans don't. Okay.