The MBB All-time Blue Bomber team: Mount Rushmore and the all-time Happy Honkers

TrueBlue4ever

14 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Pretty good one at that.

"Brian Herosian signed with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian Football League and starred in the CFL for five seasons. He was honored as MVP of the Blue Bombers in both 1975 and 1976. He was a four-time Western Conference All-Star and was named to the CFL All-Pro Team four times. Brian was a Schenely nominee for top defensive player. In addition, the multi-skilled athlete won the Canadian Superstars competition in both 1977 and 1978."

The info I gathered was slightly different. Only one CFL all-star nod (1976) and 2 divisional all-star nods (1975, 1976). 2 time team nominee for defensive MOP (1975, 1977), but never a Schenley finalist or winner. Never nominated as team MOP. Anyway, he will be listed next week.

6 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Time to switch to the safeties.

An initial list of nominees off the top of my head -

Paul Bennett, Paul Brule, Scott Flagel, Brian Herosian, Bennie Thompson, Norm Rauhaus, Taylor Loffler (don't scoff, 3 for 3 in CFL all-star nods, and team rookie of the year in his first season).

Who did I miss?

Rauhaus played safety but he primarily was a flanker.  I think it would be an injustice nominating him here & not at receiver.

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

Ian Logan should be on there and Tom Europe 

Tome Europes exclusion to this point kind of baffled me. Especially with the inclusion of guys who didnt play S. 

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

If there's not love for Wes Lysack on here, I'll riot. If for no other reason than him coming on OB.com and telling us about "Chez Paris" in Montreal on road trips.... 

Imo lysack wasnt here long, but he was taylor loffler on a team with bad coverage in front of him. I wouldnt give it to either really.

Also, Mo leggett was a S here for two years before switching to sam. Thats a lot more play then most of the guys on the list, and one of the best calibres of play. 

Ok, the safety list is ready and will be posted shortly. I have included just about every name mentioned on this list, with a few notable exceptions. Maurice Kelly and Terry Ray I have down at linebacker, even if they did spot duty at safety, so they are out. As is Wes Lysack. Basically one season as a Bomber and no notable stats. Noeller's plea to have him included for his other talents has fallen on my deaf ears - that can be a part of another poll (horniest player?) if he wants.

Next up are the linebackers, starting with the outside linebackers. I am going to throw out a bunch of names, and will ask for help in positioning as inside or outside (or correcting any inaccuracies in my listings), as well as those I have missed (also help if anyone can position those players who were with the club pre-1950's when there was no formal "linebacker" position, but who deserve a nomination).

Linebackers to consider include Antonio Armstrong(?), Maurice Kelly(?), KD Williams(?), Elfrid Payton (outside), James West (all-star at both inside and outside, but I believe he should go in as an inside backer, please confirm or refute), Ty Jones (outside), Rob McLaren (outside), Phil Minnick (outside), Henoc Muamba (inside), Greg Battle (inside, although he too was an all-star one year at outside backer), Barren Simpson (inside), Aaron Brown (inside), Harry Walters (inside), Mike Doyle (inside), Dave Burkholder (inside), Ike Charlton(?), Delbert Fowler(?).

We already had Gordie Rowland and Mo Leggett, both who were outside (cover) backers, listed in the defensive halfback position given the hybrid nature of the new SAM position, so I am disinclined to repeat them here, but I am willing to be convinced if people want a re-vote on them in this category.

Also, Zeke Moreno was an all-star at middle linebacker one year, which is my default staring point when compiling these nominee lists, but since he was traded midway through the year and earned that award as much with the Tiger Cats, I will leave him off. I'm pretty sure I'll get no objections.

Lots of names, so don't be afraid to tell me who I have missed, or who does not belong in here for consideration in the first place.

3 minutes ago, Tracker said:

With all these great linebackers, it is difficult to pick the best ones.

My initial gut reaction says Ty Jones and Elfrid Payton outside, James West and Greg Battle inside, and there really is likely very little debate about that (no disrespect to others on the list - Aaron Brown was a stud in the middle and freed up Jones to pile up his gaudy numbers). Battle and Jones are locks, West pretty much too, despite some big names out there (West's personality elevates him above all others). Payton has obscenely great sack totals, but was that frustrating player who would get 3 sacks in a game but seemingly take most other plays off (by his own admission), so he might be one on the bubble. Surprisingly few all-stars from the linebackers as compared to d-linemen in Blue Bomber history. Adam Bighill's one great season here could arguably vault him into contention.