The MBB All-time Blue Bomber team: Mount Rushmore and the all-time Happy Honkers

TrueBlue4ever

7 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Even though for all intents & purposes, the fullback hasn't been an integral part of a CFL offense for at least 10 years. Maybe more. Today, the fullback is primarily a Canadian blocker. He may carry the ball a couple of times a season or catch the odd swing pass out of the backfield. The position has almost become irrelevant. Except in short yardage or goal line. I think fullbacks should be together in the same pot as the tailbacks.  If Charlie Sheppard, Charlie Perkins, Bob Houmard, John Bledsoe, Mark Bragagnolo, Sean Kehoe & Mike Sellars are worthy then one will get voted on to the all time team. Again, just a suggestion. FWIW.

Wade Miller...

14 hours ago, Floyd said:

I know Im jumping ahead... but...

Hill-Bolden-Europe-Sampson-Browne

Battle-Jones-Leggett

That's a tough crowd to beat...  I think these are my picks all-time - assuming we don't care about ratio

T. Jones was not a middle linebacker -- the Bombers played 3-4 in those days and Jones would usually line up outside and get at the QB, leaving the dirty work inside to guys like Delbert Fowler, James West, or Aaron Brown.

I think you could make a case to list Jones as a DE, since that's where he was listed when he debuted in 1983 and even though he was rostered as a linebacker, he never really played as one -- he was there to get in the backfield and wreak havoc.

Picking just four linebackers on this team is gonna be tough, but I think Leggett belongs in that conversation, even if he kinda plays a different position than guys like Greg Battle did.

Edited by johnzo

1 hour ago, johnzo said:

T. Jones was not a middle linebacker -- the Bombers played 3-4 in those days and Jones would usually line up outside and get at the QB, leaving the dirty work inside to guys like Delbert Fowler, James West, or Aaron Brown.

I think you could make a case to list Jones as a DE, since that's where he was listed when he debuted in 1983 and even though he was rostered as a linebacker, he never really played as one -- he was there to get in the backfield and wreak havoc.

Picking just four linebackers on this team is gonna be tough, but I think Leggett belongs in that conversation, even if he kinda plays a different position than guys like Greg Battle did.

I’ve never considered Leggett a LB. he’s a DB that has rotated positions to give him the best match up. It’s a sign of the game evolving that we now have an extra DB on the field, but that doesn’t make him an LB.

When Leggett was injured, did a LB like Wilson replace him? Nope. It was another DB, Gaitor. 

He he should be listed with the half backs. No, he won’t make the final cut, but he wouldn’t with the LBs either.

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Even though for all intents & purposes, the fullback hasn't been an integral part of a CFL offense for at least 10 years. Maybe more. Today, the fullback is primarily a Canadian blocker. He may carry the ball a couple of times a season or catch the odd swing pass out of the backfield. The position has almost become irrelevant. Except in short yardage or goal line. I think fullbacks should be together in the same pot as the tailbacks.  If Charlie Sheppard, Charlie Perkins, Bob Houmard, John Bledsoe, Mark Bragagnolo, Sean Kehoe & Mike Sellars are worthy then one will get voted on to the all time team. Again, just a suggestion. FWIW.

That’s why this is the “all time” team and not “the last 10 years” team. Fullback will be voted on. I think we can agree that the #2 running back in this club will be a better player than the #1 fullback, but such is the nature of positional voting. 

6 hours ago, johnzo said:

That's a fair point - I plugged him in because well you can't leave him and Battle out... 

Hard to list him as pure DE though 

So...

Hill-Bolden-Europe-Sampson-Browne (JJ)

Jones-Battle-West-Leggett (Ezerins)

Norman-Brown-Gray (Mikawos)

5 hours ago, Jesse said:

I’ve never considered Leggett a LB. he’s a DB that has rotated positions to give him the best match up. It’s a sign of the game evolving that we now have an extra DB on the field, but that doesn’t make him an LB.

When Leggett was injured, did a LB like Wilson replace him? Nope. It was another DB, Gaitor. 

He he should be listed with the half backs. No, he won’t make the final cut, but he wouldn’t with the LBs either.

I intend to put Leggett in with the halfbacks, unless there is a strong objection (3 of his 5 seasons were at DB, although his 2 all-star nods were as a linebacker). I agree that he really was a defensive back playing in the linebacker spot to cover the 5th receiver rather than a true linebacker.

Right now, I have 14 nominees in play from people's suggestions (and although I could eliminate 3 or 4 immediately whose numbers are in line with my scorned TJ Heath suggestion - and none of whom are 2 time CFL all-stars either) I will put in the entire list up for consideration Friday. Looking at the debate so far, I can say that this will prove much more difficult than the cornerback vote, with 7 different candidates that could be people's favorites based on the comments so far. I myself have got it down to 3 strong candidates in my mind, and likely not at all who others are thinking of.

Hopefully people think outside the "if I didn't see them play, I won't consider them" box and consider the numbers and the all-star nods. Three things for sure - the debate will not end once voting is closed, a few posters are going to feel like "their guy" was completely and unfairly overlooked, and someone very good will not make the cut when it is all said and done.

18 hours ago, johnzo said:

Battle didn't play OLB as he was ILB. Jones played OLB. He never was a DE or rush end. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

5 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Is that a lament, or a suggestion to remove him from the list? I have done up his bio, but he’s a weak candidate in the big picture IMO. 

It was a lament. I recall him being a dominant safety until the accident that took his wife. His career was cut short, though.

12 hours ago, Tracker said:

It was a lament. I recall him being a dominant safety until the accident that took his wife. His career was cut short, though.

Herosian was a beast. He deserves to be nominated so I will do so right here. Please add his name to the safety position. But you're right that tragic accident cost him his career.  How does anyone come back after what he went through?

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Herosian was a beast. He deserves to be nominated so I will do so right here. Please add his name to the safety position. But you're right that tragic accident cost him his career.  How does anyone come back after what he went through?

I actually have Herosian listed in with the group of halfbacks for this week's nominations, but I can put him in with the safeties for next week if that is more proper. Let me know the group's preference, but he will be included one way or another.

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I actually have Herosian listed in with the group of halfbacks for this week's nominations, but I can put him in with the safeties for next week if that is more proper. Let me know the group's preference, but he will be included one way or another.

According to my admittedly porous memory, Herosian was most effective as a safety.

4 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Brian played safety the entire time he was with the Bombers so that is where he should be listed. 

As a footnote to Brian Herosian, he and his late wife had a special needs son (Ben) and one of the reasons Brian chose to retire was to look after him. Brian did remarry and have two more kids. One of the reasons I recall him so vividly is that Brian's late wife had the same first name as mine and we had driven that same road a few days before.

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Herosian will be placed in the safety category. Thanks all.

Pretty good one at that.

"Brian Herosian signed with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian Football League and starred in the CFL for five seasons. He was honored as MVP of the Blue Bombers in both 1975 and 1976. He was a four-time Western Conference All-Star and was named to the CFL All-Pro Team four times. Brian was a Schenely nominee for top defensive player. In addition, the multi-skilled athlete won the Canadian Superstars competition in both 1977 and 1978."

3 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Pretty good one at that.

"Brian Herosian signed with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian Football League and starred in the CFL for five seasons. He was honored as MVP of the Blue Bombers in both 1975 and 1976. He was a four-time Western Conference All-Star and was named to the CFL All-Pro Team four times. Brian was a Schenely nominee for top defensive player. In addition, the multi-skilled athlete won the Canadian Superstars competition in both 1977 and 1978."

He's my pick. As far as fullbacks go, Dan Hucklack was pretty darned good. He should be on the list.