The MBB All-time Blue Bomber team: Mount Rushmore and the all-time Happy Honkers

TrueBlue4ever

Initial list to consider and debate (alphabetical order), which may be added to or shrunk by voting time:

Juran Bolden, Bobby Evans, Ken Hailey, TJ Heath, Jonathan Hefney, Brian Herosian, Harold Nash Jr., Vince Phason, Ernie Pitts, Kenny Ploen, Darryl Sampson, Richard (censor won't let me say D-I-C-K) Thornton (some say he is a safety, but one club site listed him as a defensive halfback, will go with him here)

Note that Gord Rowland played multiple positions, but was described as a "cover linebacker", so I will opt to put him in the outside linebacker category later unless there are any objections. 

Debate these choices for inclusion, or add your own nominee. Nominations will end next Friday and the voting list will go up.

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

14 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He played here one season.... He doesn't deserve to be on that list. There are other more deserving & more talented players left off.  

His one season wasn't even that good and the secondary has been better since moving on from him. I'd put Sayles ahead of Heath if all it takes is a couple plays made. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

His one season wasn't even that good and the secondary has been better since moving on from him. I'd put Sayles ahead of Heath if all it takes is a couple plays made. 

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He played here one season.... He doesn't deserve to be on that list. There are other more deserving & more talented players left off.  

My initial examination of nominees largely looked at any all-star nominations they received, as a compatible to their peers over that time frame, so as to provide context for players over different eras. When I got to Heath I saw 2 Divisional and 2 CFL all-star noms in 2 seasons, something that was as good as or better than most other nominees, so I just threw him on the list. Granted his first year here was midway through and a chunk of his stats came with the Argos, but 12 into over 2 seasons was better than any other CFL player over that time. But I certainly don’t see him as a strong candidate overall, just floating a list of those to debate and consider, before I post a final list. If there are more deserving players I have omitted, by all means name names and i’ll put them up for consideration. 

2 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

My initial examination of nominees largely looked at any all-star nominations they received, as a compatible to their peers over that time frame, so as to provide context for players over different eras. When I got to Heath I saw 2 Divisional and 2 CFL all-star noms in 2 seasons, something that was as good as or better than most other nominees, so I just threw him on the list. Granted his first year here was midway through and a chunk of his stats came with the Argos, but 12 into over 2 seasons was better than any other CFL player over that time. But I certainly don’t see him as a strong candidate overall, just floating a list of those to debate and consider, before I post a final list. If there are more deserving players I have omitted, by all means name names and i’ll put them up for consideration. 

One season should disqualify him. There's not enough body of work as a Bomber to put Heath on an all time list. The trouble with putting him on that list means you're taking away another more deserving former Bomber player who should be on that list.  The other thing is taking into consideration Heath's all star stats with the Argos which have nothing to do with his time with the Blue Bombers. Not trying to be disagreeable but just pointing out some inconsistencies.

No that’s all fair comment. I did not fully consider how much of his munbers came as an Argo in his first all-star season, so I can pull him from the voting list. But he could get bonus points for being part of one of the better trades the Bombers pulled off in recent memory (Heath,what would become a first overall draft pick in 2017, and what would become Daniel Petermann in the next draft all for Drew Willy). 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

On ‎2018‎-‎12‎-‎07 at 11:12 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

No that’s all fair comment. I did not fully consider how much of his munbers came as an Argo in his first all-star season, so I can pull him from the voting list. But he could get bonus points for being part of one of the better trades the Bombers pulled off in recent memory (Heath,what would become a first overall draft pick in 2017, and what would become Daniel Petermann in the next draft all for Drew Willy). 

Well, I'd still say pull Heath especially when you compare him to the guy I'm about to discuss.  After this, I hope you'll understand why I feel that so strongly that Heath shouldn't be on this list.  I'm talking about cornerback Paul Brule. He was the Bombers first round pick out of St F-X in 1968.  He could play offense & defense & is considered the greatest player to ever come out of that small Atlantic Conference university. In 1967, he became the first U Sport player (then called the CIAU) to score 20 touchdowns in a single season as a fullback.

The Bombers installed the rookie at corner & he really struggled during the 1968 & 69 seasons. His first 2 seasons were tough as he was picked on, exploited & beaten like a rented mule (can we still say that here? ;) ). I remember Brule looking at the back of opposition jerseys as he chased them down the field as they scored yet another clean, over the top TD on him. He was booed & criticized fiercely by both fans & media  in this town but he hung in there through the criticism.  he lost his starting job at corner in 1969 but he played special teams. Former HC Joe Zaleski never lost faith in the guy when other coaches would have. He probably would have been cut by another coach.

Then in 1970 under rookie HC Jim Spavital,  it was like the proverbial light bulb went off in his head. He came back to camp & in the pre season won his starting job back. Brule became a great cover guy & picked off 9 interceptions followed up by 4 more in 1971. He became a CFL all star at corner that season & was instrumental in the Bombers going from 2-14 in 1970 to 7-8-1 in 1971 along with a playoff berth that year for the first time in 5 seasons. He was traded to the Alouettes during the 1972 season.  I believe he suffered a significant injury & then was dealt to Montreal when he came back 

He was also a fierce sure handed punt returner back in the days when these poor (always Canadian) souls had no blocking on punts. As a Bomber he returned 233 punts for 1,987 yards for no touchdowns & a stellar 7.3 yard average.  He also returned 17 KO/s for 406 yards, no touchdowns & a 23.9 yard average. Players had to be absolutely courageous to return punts back then & Brule was all that, for sure. 

Still want to keep Heath on that list?  ;)

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Long time lurker - first post

The DHB position would be incomplete without Dr. Tom "Citation" Casey.

Casey played for the Blue Bombers 1950-1955. He earned an all-star nod each season. 

For 1950-1952 he was an all-star halfback. This was the end of the era when the WIFU only issued a 1st and 2nd all-star team and did not differentiate offence from defence. He was best known for his defensive play although Casey would likely have been an all-star on offence and defence in  1950 & 1952.

For 1953-1955, Casey was an all-star at defensive halfback.

Interceptions were first tracked by the WIFU in 1952. Casey finished 2nd with 7 interceptions in '52, 1st in '53 with 7 & 3rd in '54 with 6. Based on newspaper accounts, Casey had at least 10 interceptions in 1950.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Well, I'd still say pull Heath especially when you compare him to the guy I'm about to discuss.  After this, I hope you'll understand why I feel that so strongly that Heath shouldn't be on this list.  I'm talking about cornerback Paul Brule. He was the Bombers first round pick out of St F-X in 1968.  He could play offense & defense & is considered the greatest player to ever come out of that small Atlantic Conference university. In 1967, he became the first U Sport player (then called the CIAU) to score 20 touchdowns in a single season as a fullback.

The Bombers installed the rookie at corner & he really struggled during the 1968 & 69 seasons. His first 2 seasons were tough as he was picked on, exploited & beaten like a rented mule (can we still say that here? ;) ). I remember Brule looking at the back of opposition jerseys as he chased them down the field as they scored yet another clean, over the top TD on him. He was booed & criticized fiercely by both fans & media  in this town but he hung in there through the criticism.  he lost his starting job at corner in 1969 but he played special teams. Former HC Joe Zaleski never lost faith in the guy when other coaches wouldn't have. He probably would have been cut by another coach.

Then in 1970 under rookie HC Jim Spavital,  it was like the proverbial light bulb went off in his head. He came back to camp & in the pre season won his starting job back. Brule became a great cover guy & picked off 9 interceptions followed up by 4 more in 1971. He became a CFL all star at corner that season & was instrumental in the Bombers going from 2-14 in 1970 to 7-8-1 in 1971 along with a playoff berth that year for the first time in 5 seasons. He was traded to the Alouettes during the 1972 season.  I believe he suffered a significant injury & then was dealt to Montreal when he came back 

He was also a fierce sure handed punt returner back in the days when these poor (always Canadian) souls had no blocking on punts. As a Bomber he returned 233 punts for 1,987 yards for no touchdowns & a stellar 7.3 yard average.  He also returned 17 KO/s for 406 yards, no touchdowns & a 23.9 yard average. Players had to be absolutely courageous to return punts back then & Brule was all that, for sure. 

Still want to keep Heath on that list?  ;)

I think I’ve already said I will pull Heath from the list. As I said in an earlier post, I have seen Brule listed as a safety on a Bomber alumni site, so I was going to include him in the safety list. Positions for older players can be tricky to determine, so apologies if I am representing players in the wrong spots. 

1 hour ago, Stats Junkie said:

Long time lurker - first post

The DHB position would be incomplete without Dr. Tom "Citation" Casey.

Casey played for the Blue Bombers 1950-1955. He earned an all-star nod each season. 

For 1950-1952 he was an all-star halfback. This was the end of the era when the WIFU only issued a 1st and 2nd all-star team and did not differentiate offence from defence. He was best known for his defensive play although Casey would likely have been an all-star on offence and defence in  1950 & 1952.

For 1953-1955, Casey was an all-star at defensive halfback.

Interceptions were first tracked by the WIFU in 1952. Casey finished 2nd with 7 interceptions in '52, 1st in '53 with 7 & 3rd in '54 with 6. Based on newspaper accounts, Casey had at least 10 interceptions in 1950.

Thanks for this. Fun fact, Dr. Casey graduated in the same medical class as my father at the U of M. I will add him. 

No need to apologize as that was a freaking long time ago.  One of the biggest complaints about the CFL is the fact the league has little if any video or information on former players or big games of the past. Trying to figure these things out correctly is sometimes impossible as there is nothing anywhere. I can say that Brule was a corner. The other corner was Doug Strong & Ed Ulmer was the safety. In 1971, Grady Cavness replaced Ulmer at safety.

When it comes to Bombers all time DBs (HB/CB/S), there's Juran Bolden and then everyone else. That guy was a freak of nature... One of those rare players that was actually too good for the CFL (like Sellers and a few others) and we were just lucky to have him for awhile... 

I am debating where to insert Gord Rowland. He was an all-star a couple of times as a defensive halfback and a couple more as a cover linebacker. He played in the 1960’s when players played multiple positions and the roles were a bit different. He had 34 ints. so his role seemed to be more in pass coverage, so any thoughts about including him in the halfback category?

3 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I am debating where to insert Gord Rowland. He was an all-star a couple of times as a defensive halfback and a couple more as a cover linebacker. He played in the 1960’s when players played multiple positions and the roles were a bit different. He had 34 ints. so his role seemed to be more in pass coverage, so any thoughts about including him in the halfback category?

With 34 picks how can he be ignored?