The MBB All-time Blue Bomber team: Mount Rushmore and the all-time Happy Honkers

TrueBlue4ever

IMHO Rod Hill was the best DB the Bombers ever had. He may be the best at that position to ever play in the CFL. I've said this a number of times but...he was so good, that when the Bombers had Less Browne playing on the other corner (Less Browne is the CFL's all time INT leader), QB's rarely threw to Hill's side. I remember the day the Bombers signed Rod Hill...Cal Murphy was in a state of ephoria.

On 2018-12-08 at 7:10 PM, Stats Junkie said:

Long time lurker - first post

The DHB position would be incomplete without Dr. Tom "Citation" Casey.

Casey played for the Blue Bombers 1950-1955. He earned an all-star nod each season. 

For 1950-1952 he was an all-star halfback. This was the end of the era when the WIFU only issued a 1st and 2nd all-star team and did not differentiate offence from defence. He was best known for his defensive play although Casey would likely have been an all-star on offence and defence in  1950 & 1952.

For 1953-1955, Casey was an all-star at defensive halfback.

Interceptions were first tracked by the WIFU in 1952. Casey finished 2nd with 7 interceptions in '52, 1st in '53 with 7 & 3rd in '54 with 6. Based on newspaper accounts, Casey had at least 10 interceptions in 1950.

Thanks Stats, I think you’ve convinced me.

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Gene Lakusiak was a very good defensive back.  He played with the Bombers from 1968-74.  He had 7 interceptions during his career & was a CFL Western Conference All Star in 1972 & 73.  I'd like to nominate him. 

I had him on my original list of people to consider, but his numbers seemed lacking (certainly if Heath and his 7 ints. with the Bombers over 2 seasons and 2 CFL all-star nods don’t make the grade, then equal results and lesser accolades over a longer period of time would be questionable, no?). But I will put him on the nominations list and let the people decide. Democracy in action!

40 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Leggett's great, but not sure he's Top 3 all time on a team that's had some of the league's all time best LBs...

This begs the question of where Leggett should be listed. I'm inclined to put him with the defensive halfbacks, even though he was a linebacker half the time. Not sure he makes the cut in either position (certainly not as one of the 2 best outside linebackers all-time).

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

I know Im jumping ahead... but...

Hill-Bolden-Europe-Sampson-Browne

Battle-Jones-Leggett

That's a tough crowd to beat...  I think these are my picks all-time - assuming we don't care about ratio

I will have an extra linebacker (2 inside/middle, 2 outside) and will also have 4 linemen (2 outside, 2 inside) so as not to have to decide 4-3 or 3-4. Our defence will have an extra player (as will the offence, with a RB, FB, 2 slotbacks, 2 WR and a 5th receiver).

And no, I'm not concerned about ratio.

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

22 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

This begs the question of where Leggett should be listed. I'm inclined to put him with the defensive halfbacks, even though he was a linebacker half the time. Not sure he makes the cut in either position (certainly not as one of the 2 best outside linebackers all-time).

absolutely...and he played Safety for awhile, too. With SAM backer being a glorified DB, I'd be inclined to have him with them, rather than the LBs...

6 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I will have an extra linebacker (2 inside/middle, 2 outside) and will also have 4 linemen (2 outside, 2 inside) so as not to have to decide 4-3 or 3-4. Our defence will have an extra player (as will the offence, with a RB, FB, 2 slotbacks, 2 WR and a 5th receiver).

And no, I'm not concerned about ratio.

Cool I’ll add James west then

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

absolutely...and he played Safety for awhile, too. With SAM backer being a glorified DB, I'd be inclined to have him with them, rather than the LBs...

That’s why I put him in my all star secondary - I can’t remember many guys having his ability to succeed at multiple positions

Even though for all intents & purposes, the fullback hasn't been an integral part of a CFL offense for at least 10 years. Maybe more. Today, the fullback is primarily a Canadian blocker. He may carry the ball a couple of times a season or catch the odd swing pass out of the backfield. The position has almost become irrelevant. Except in short yardage or goal line. I think fullbacks should be together in the same pot as the tailbacks.  If Charlie Sheppard, Charlie Perkins, Bob Houmard, John Bledsoe, Mark Bragagnolo, Sean Kehoe & Mike Sellars are worthy then one will get voted on to the all time team. Again, just a suggestion. FWIW.