Game 24 : Chicago

Just now, JCon said:

Reminds me of TO right now. All O - No D. 

And we all know how important the D is, right ?

Except the blue foliage is actually playing pretty strong, consistent defensive zone hockey this season. The forwards have bought in to whatever Babsy is selling. And they're still scoring a ton of goals.

Just now, Noeller said:

D was the reason Helle looked better last year. Team D has been a mess so far this season, and Helle looks all the worse for it. Not sure why, but something is amiss...

He's letting in some goals he never did last season.  Team D is part of it but he's not making saves he made last year.  My concern is, the previous year when he struggled, he wasnt able to adjust until the off-season.  Hopefully he can get back in his groove or its going to be a fight all season.

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

Except the blue foliage is actually playing pretty strong, consistent defensive zone hockey this season. The forwards have bought in to whatever Babsy is selling. And they're still scoring a ton of goals.

Yes, I phrased that poorly. The Jets remind me of how TO were playing.

They're a hot-mess right now. Thank god they've got some kids that can shoot. 

The Jets look bad right now. Getting wins, so hopefully they can figure it out before too long. 

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

If Buff is out for any length of time, they're going to have to look at a trade but bringing in another borderline bottom NHL'er wont really help.  And they likely cant afford a top 4 guy.

Is it time to move another prospect and picks? 

Team D is horrible and non existent. There comes a point when the team starts to tune the coach out and im wondering if we are seeing that now. With that being said, Shilling is awful and he and Myers were on the ice for several goals doing nothing...

Helle needs to make the save on the 3rd goal, smaller equipment playing a role here but.. He was and has been hung out to dry this season. Broissoit got lit up in St Louis so its not Helle exclusive.. Its the lack of team D altho.. When Chiarot or Shilling is in your top 4 and Maurice refuses to play the 4th line... Everybody else gets overplayed and tired and make dumb mistakes

Edited by Goalie

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Whats Toby Enstrom up to?

He makes zero difference as 1 guy isnt the problem.. Its the lack of Team D.. Enstrom literally missed half the year last year due to injury... He makes no difference. The forwards buying in to D first hockey does tho. Right now they just wanna score and not defend at all. 

23 minutes ago, Goalie said:

He makes zero difference as 1 guy isnt the problem.. Its the lack of Team D.. Enstrom literally missed half the year last year due to injury... He makes no difference. The forwards buying in to D first hockey does tho. Right now they just wanna score and not defend at all. 

I want the defense to buy into D. They're all over the place and look confused. They lack organization.

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

Team D is horrible and non existent. There comes a point when the team starts to tune the coach out and im wondering if we are seeing that now. With that being said, Shilling is awful and he and Myers were on the ice for several goals doing nothing...

Helle needs to make the save on the 3rd goal, smaller equipment playing a role here but.. He was and has been hung out to dry this season. Broissoit got lit up in St Louis so its not Helle exclusive.. Its the lack of team D altho.. When Chiarot or Shilling is in your top 4 and Maurice refuses to play the 4th line... Everybody else gets overplayed and tired and make dumb mistakes

I'm no goalie expert and nor an expert on what D system Jets employ but it appears to me that Helle plays pretty deep in his crease. If our D is faltering more than usual does Helle playing deep in his crease add to our struggles of late keeping the puck out of our net?

2 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I'm no goalie expert and nor an expert on what D system Jets employ but it appears to me that Helle plays pretty deep in his crease. If our D is faltering more than usual does Helle playing deep in his crease add to our struggles of late keeping the puck out of our net?

Funny story... I'm in the midst of reading Kelly Hrudey's book, and in it he mentions that if you ever see a goalie playing too deep in his net, he's having confidence issues. Goalies feel safer closer to the net, so in bad times, they will be playing way too deep rather than confidently challenging the shooter and cutting down the angle. 

Edited by Noeller

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

In theory I agree.  I was being tongue in cheek.  But with injuries and poor play, Toby is an upgrade over what we have now.  But hindsight is 20/20.

Jets will have to upgrade their D.  Im not sure how.  If Myers is perceived as having value, perhaps you can move him out for a younger player.  Is there a well touted young D that is looming RFA and might not re-sign with their team?  That player might be a target.

Or if Trouba is gone, and you can get TWO d in return, do it.  But it seems unlikely (why would a team who values Trouba trade good D).

Niku has to get up to speed fast.  And Kulikov being long term injured hasnt helped matters.  If this was still the summer, a solid free agent D would be top of the list.