Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Look at it this way ... way better alternative than him leaving us to sign with a rival. And while not ideal, Goossen to Couture is the kind of cap savings that ought to free up some money to either certainly improve Chungh's offer, sign a name receiver or possibly even both.

I think Randle’s money (or at least the difference in paying him and a younger DB) is switching sides, from D to O.

Can’t defend the pass anyway with the PI rules, why spend on it?

This type of stuff is definitely related to the salary cap being too small. This CBA the CFL needs to substantially raise the cap so players may decide to pursue new careers later in their own playing careers. There was no point for Goosen to stay & play football.  having said that, he did what he thought was best so can't fault him for that. Wish him all the best. He'll be missed.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

If we were to have a circumstance where we were to lose Goossen, then this is the preferred scenario. A win for Goossen, and while a blow for the Bombers, certainly not a travesty. 

And to show the class to have informed the Bombers beforehand speaks volumes. (are you paying attention mr Durant?)

Just now, Mr Dee said:

If we were to have a circumstance where we were to lose Goossen, then this is the preferred scenario. A win for Goossen, and while a blow for the Bombers, certainly not a travesty. 

And to show the class to have informed the Bombers beforehand speaks volumes. (are you paying attention mr Durant?)

**** Durant.

7 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

This type of stuff is definitely related to the salary cap being too small. This CBA the CFL needs to substantially raise the cap so players may decide to pursue new careers later in their own playing careers. There was no point for Goosen to stay & play football.  having said that, he did what he thought was best so can't fault him for that. Wish him all the best. He'll be missed.

I mean ... really? You think this is salary cap related? He's most certainly taking a pay cut to do this. He's just planning for a career that has a longer term outlook than football and props to him for it.

first reaction was shock and disappointment... but not surprisingly, Mr Goossen leaves with class and plans to move on to a very respectable career... I can't help but feel good for him to move on while still healthy and able to pursue life after football... Good luck to Mattais in his future...

15 minutes ago, Mike said:

I mean ... really? You think this is salary cap related? He's most certainly taking a pay cut to do this. He's just planning for a career that has a longer term outlook than football and props to him for it.

*Usually* police agencies do have an age limit for when recruits can join and I don't know the specifics for Goossen but with Surrey getting their own police force in the next year or so this may be his only chance at getting on.    In the short term he'll make less money,  but he'll be pulling in 6 figures within a year or two and then can make that for the next 30 years.   

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with salary cap because if he were to hit the open market I think many teams including BC would of thrown good money at him.

This is why you keep drafting Canadian offensive lineman.  We really need Chung back now.  Winnipeg will have plenty of options in terms of finding a replacement on roster already.  I would imagine Couture would be a candidate as well as somebody else moving over to center like Nuefeld for example.  As well Cody Speller might factor into the conversation as well.  I imagine we draft a lineman again with one of our first round picks.

5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

What if the guy doesn't want to play in Winnipeg anymore? 

Then we are looking at Gray and Couture/Speller starting and we have boat loads of money to target receivers and other areas of need.  Of coarse, we draft an offensive lineman in the first round.  Maybe trade up to get a guy who can factor in immediately. 

There will inevitably some discombooberation in the O-line, but I think we have the bodies to compensate. He is not a direct replacement, but Gray will be starting the season and that will give us flexibility. Thank you Matthias for all you brought to the team and us fans, and we know that there comes a time to put our toys away.

Edited by Tracker

34 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yes, and I need to get a substantial raise. Unfortunately for my business much like the CFL, we need to make more money. You can't just give people raises when the money isn't there.

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yes, and I need to get a substantial raise. Unfortunately for my business much like the CFL, we need to make more money. You can't just give people raises when the money isn't there.

Im kind of surprised this if this was a financial decision.  The guy played 3 years for peanuts compared to what he could get in the open market this season in the CFL.  Just seems strange unless its health related. 

16 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Im kind of surprised this if this was a financial decision.  The guy played 3 years for peanuts compared to what he could get in the open market this season in the CFL.  Just seems strange unless its health related. 

I suspect that this was what would be called a prophylactic or preventative measure on Goossen's part. If he really wants to be a police officer and buggers up a knee, elbow back or shoulder, that career is no longer an option. Sound logic, in my eyes. Better to jump before you are pushed. That way you can choose your landing spot.