Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

Do we have room on our staff and coaching payroll cap to fit Dressler in? I'm not sure if he wants to be a coach but seems like he has the personality for it. 

I wonder if we could bring him in on a dual role? I'm completely clueless on how this may work, if at all.

Lapo is currently the receivers coach. 

Partially answered with the JC Sherritt signing. Teams can have 11 coaches. We currently list 10. So, there is room for another, if we choose and have the cap space. 

Edited by JCon

11 minutes ago, JCon said:

Do we have room on our staff and coaching payroll cap to fit Dressler in? I'm not sure if he wants to be a coach but seems like he has the personality for it. 

I wonder if we could bring him in on a dual role? I'm completely clueless on how this may work, if at all.

Lapo is currently the receivers coach. 

Partially answered with the JC Sherritt signing. Teams can have 11 coaches. We currently list 10. So, there is room for another, if we choose and have the cap space. 

I wonder if they could split his salary if he came back as a player/receiver coach, half under the player cap and half under the coaching cap.

39 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I wonder if they could split his salary if he came back as a player/receiver coach, half under the player cap and half under the coaching cap.

I was wondering that too. Not sure how that would work, exactly. You wouldn't want to have anyone think that you're trying to circumvent the rules! ;)

It's interesting that we haven't said a word about our coaching staff for 2019. Every other team ( I think...) has had an announcement about the coaching staff, and virtually everyone has had to make changes of some sort because of the new management SMS. Hopefully we're not losing anyone, anyhow...

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It's interesting that we haven't said a word about our coaching staff for 2019. Every other team ( I think...) has had an announcement about the coaching staff, and virtually everyone has had to make changes of some sort because of the new management SMS. Hopefully we're not losing anyone, anyhow...

i dont think we are losing anyone on the coaching staff and we still have room for one assistant coach. 

we only have 10 currently, the limit is 11.

12 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I believe the cap would have already produced casualties if it were going to happen.

EDIT: Although, Lapo gets a big chunk of change and I thought that might cause issues on the cap. 

I'm really surprised Hall hasn't (has not) retired. I was optimistic that we would be "renewing" our defensive coaching staff this year by promoting some of our coordinators and Hall retiring. Given the way the defense played last year, maybe this is not a bad thing. 

Edited by JCon

29 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I would suggest that lapo earning a big chunk of change is why we go with 10 coaches rather than 11.

Makes sense to me. Why do I have a feeling that this cap on coaches & management may only last a season or two?? There'll be a lot of pushback to either increase the cap substantially from teams or to scrap it all together. Teams can thank the Riders for abusing everything. What did the have, close to 20 coaches last year & a huge scouting staff all the while Jones was the highest paid coach-exec in the CFL? He made sure that he was numero uno that's for sure.

8 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Makes sense to me. Why do I have a feeling that this cap on coaches & management may only last a season or two?? There'll be a lot of pushback to either increase the cap substantially from teams or to scrap it all together. Teams can thank the Riders for abusing everything. What did the have, close to 20 coaches last year & a huge scouting staff all the while Jones was the highest paid coach-exec in the CFL? He made sure that he was numero uno that's for sure.

I think we can blame the bottom-feeders, where they can't (or won't) invest more into coaching. 

Sure, I think the Riders threw a lot of money around but, at least, they were reinvesting their earnings. Now, they'll just pocket everything (and run dodgy, off the books stuff). 

Reynolds had to know spending wildly whether on players or coaches would cause a problem with teams like Montreal, BC & Toronto who don't have the $$$$ to spend like the Riders & also are owners who don't like spending when losing gobs of money. I bet that's where this cap came from. I can see Braley leading the way as he is a famous cheap skate grinding that Lions into the ground. Like he did in Toronto where  they've never recovered. The team should be stripped from the guy but that won't happen.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

I think we can blame the bottom-feeders, where they can't (or won't) invest more into coaching. 

Sure, I think the Riders threw a lot of money around but, at least, they were reinvesting their earnings. Now, they'll just pocket everything (and run dodgy, off the books stuff). 

Now?  Did you forget about their secret PR team?  They've been doing off the books stuff for years.

2 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

It was the Riders who wanted the cap. Reynolds wanted to keep The spending in check.

Then why did he sign Jones to such a huge contract & allowed him to have 15-20 assistants? As well as the illegal pre-practice roster players? That is a contradiction.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Now?  Did you forget about their secret PR team?  They've been doing off the books stuff for years.

Haha. What I meant was now they only be able to do the dodgy stuff and keep the above-the-board expenses under the cap. 

So an article today claims that Jones was 'on the look' to get out of Sask. and suggests as soon as a better opportunity came along...Says he wanted the CEO job for the new franchise that Tilman secured...In any event Jones appeared to be 'wanting out' of Sask a.s.a.p......You could list any reason for his leaving...the obvious one was for the position he just took BUT I don't  think Jonesie ever planned a long stay in saskabush from the start and one can understand why???? 

Edited by Stickem

23 minutes ago, Stickem said:

So an article today claims that Jones was 'on the look' to get out of Sask. and suggests as soon as a better opportunity came along...Says he wanted the CEO job for the new franchise that Tilman secured...In any event Jones appeared to be 'wanting out' of Sask a.s.a.p......You could list any reason for his leaving...the obvious one was for the position he just took BUT I don't  think Jonesie ever planned a long stay in saskabush from the start and one can understand why???? 

2 hours ago, JCon said:

The Als and Argos had two of the largest coaching staffs in the league last year.