Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Rich

Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

Message added by Rich

Recommended Posts

wow....I would never have figured for 3....but then again....it's the power of the organization...regime...locker room and Oshea...well done...this is huge moving into February as well as we now know what we have to play with in free agency for the likes of  JSK..possibly a DB and a receiver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if there was anyone that was for some reason iffy on wanting to come here, this should just solidify things.... now go out and get a big time receiver and this team should be a Cup favourite!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the move, but pairing the announcement with announcing Bighill will be working as an investment advisor on the side seems strange. Open flaunting they found a way around the cap? Slap in the face to talk about not being able to find work in Regina in the off season? Agreement with the investment firm that it would be included in the press release?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that's in no way circumventing the cap...it's an off-season job, and smart thing to to include in the presser, as it shows potential free-agents that there is opportunity for off-season and or post career work in Winnipeg as it is a large city with major companies who have work potential...unlike a pisshole in the ground place like Regina where there is apparently zippo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not suggesting they are spending over the cap. Just that they might be using corporate partnerships to supplement the money going to the player. Basically that Bighill will get whatever amount of dollars, but it is split between the team and the investment firm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you're pretty offbase on this one...teams for years have secured off-season and in season jobs for players. It is not "part" of their CFL contract, its above and beyond that and totally unrelated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, WildPath said:

Love the move, but pairing the announcement with announcing Bighill will be working as an investment advisor on the side seems strange. Open flaunting they found a way around the cap? Slap in the face to talk about not being able to find work in Regina in the off season? Agreement with the investment firm that it would be included in the press release?

this, in no way, circumvents the cap... it's not like the Bombers are paying him for his second job... Wade probably just knows a guy in the industry and gave a glowing review... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, bearpants said:

this, in no way, circumvents the cap... it's not like the Bombers are paying him for his second job... Wade probably just knows a guy in the industry and gave a glowing review..

That's basically all I'm trying to suggest. That it was more or less a bonus of staying in Winnipeg. Another source of income which was, at least in part, setup by the team to make it more lucrative to stay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely fantastic signing. Its been a few years so we may not always think back on it, but Winnipeg has become a strong organization and place to play. Another big signing that praises the work Osh has done here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

"Dang, all that money to Bighill that could have been used to re-sign Streveler" said almost no one ever.

Bighill signed for three years so he could be here when Big Chris takes this team for the ride of its life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Booch said:

you're pretty offbase on this one...teams for years have secured off-season and in season jobs for players. It is not "part" of their CFL contract, its above and beyond that and totally unrelated.

Wellington Altus is owned by the husband of our BOD vice chairperson Dayna Spiring....so not as off base as you are making it sound. But it ain't cheating so screw em all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gcn11 said:

Wellington Altus is owned by the husband of our BOD vice chairperson Dayna Spiring....so not as off base as you are making it sound. But it ain't cheating so screw em all.

well for sure  that connection would easily had a hand in getting him the outside of football gig...but by no means is any of the Altus job salary being part of his CFL salary to cheat the cap..it is above and beyond that....but it is an excellent negotiating angle to use/have in allowing a player to know he has a guaranteed job/income once the season is over if he signs here...same thing with CGY for years having some guys playing on cheap contracts..BLM for one comes to mind...there is no law or rule saying a person can't hold down 2 paying gigs at the same time unrelated to each other...more power to your organization in the CFL if you can achieve that luxury...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×