Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

17 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Just looked back at last season. The Bombers are now 11-2 in their last 13 games. And I know you cant add in preseason but if you could 13-2 in he last 16 games.... 

Wow.

16 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Just looked back at last season. The Bombers are now 11-2 in their last 13 games. And I know you cant add in preseason but if you could 13-2 in he last 16 games.... 

13 plus 2, fourteen, fifteen...sorry, my guzinta’s don’t get the same answer. I’ll try again..13....lol

Just now, TrueBlue4ever said:

Well, if it was a one-off, it might be easier to let slide. But....

Nichols

Hecht

Kyrie Wilson

Gaitor (last year, who in your own words “proved you wrong”)

so that’s “What of it” I guess. 

Do you want me to go through all the times I was right? This goes both ways. This is a message board. I call it as I see it and sometimes I’m right, sometimes I’m wrong. At least I own up to mistakes. 

2 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Well, if it was a one-off, it might be easier to let slide. But....

Nichols

Hecht

Kyrie Wilson

Gaitor (last year, who in your own words “proved you wrong”)

so that’s “What of it” I guess. 

To be fair, no one was excited about Hecht...  I know I had visions of Hurl 2.0

And Gaitor was just awful in BC...

I love the absolute certainty of some posters when it comes to things they know little about.  "This guys sucks." Whoops, no.  "Ok, this guy sucks." Dang, wrong again.  "Alright, this guy for sure sucks!"  Crap, he's good too.  So people just love to revel in their wrongness.  Here's a tip.  If you don't know what you're talking about, absolutes are probably a bad idea.

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

The sane people on this board were, at worst, taking a "Let's wait and see what happens...." approach. The crazy people are the ones who immediately jump to a negative. 

I've seen other years of that - but aside from Hecht, I didn't see a lot of panic this year... 

I mean replacing your entire interior of your OL 'should' have been a disaster... instead they gelled in half a game

Wilson was always going to succeed beside Bighill - whats surprising is how much of a force he is without him...

Love that the Miller/Walters/Osh strategy has paid off... if we would have had a rough start, I think the BOD would have started getting antsy

2 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

I love the absolute certainty of some posters when it comes to things they know little about.  "This guys sucks." Whoops, no.  "Ok, this guy sucks." Dang, wrong again.  "Alright, this guy for sure sucks!"  Crap, he's good too.  So people just love to revel in their wrongness.  Here's a tip.  If you don't know what you're talking about, absolutes are probably a bad idea.

You’re way, way off. Let’s just take a couple of examples here. Jeff Hecht is 34 years old and never been more than a spot starter in the CFL. When he has started at safety up until this season, he’s been largely terrible. Good for him for playing well as a starter for five games but no one would be wrong for assuming he would be a disaster in that spot. 

Anthony Gaitor was run out of B.C. after two very poor seasons. Perhaps he found his calling playing SAM, but he was objectively bad in the secondary for those seasons in BC. 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with both expressing concern or stating an opinion based on a player’s previous level of play. And for every Hecht and Gaitor, there are multiple examples of previous poor play continuing, or a player being a poor fit on this team. Bowman comes to mind immediately. As does L’Damien Washington, Corey Washington and Kenbrell Thompkins. 

There are also numerous examples of the exact opposite. Players that are unheralded or rookies that certain people suggest will surprise in a positive way, even with very limited on-field play to go on. JSK, Steven Richardson, Wolitarsky, Alexander and Jeffcoat when they were rookies. But I guess as long as it’s making a call that someone will be good rather than bad is okay because that has a positive spin. 

37 minutes ago, Floyd said:

To be fair, no one was excited about Hecht...  I know I had visions of Hurl 2.0

And Gaitor was just awful in BC...

I actually said Hecht would be more then serviceable. Our defense was better when he was in the line up last season when Loffler was hurt. I got laughed at for when saying he would be fine with Hecht!

Just now, Arnold_Palmer said:

I actually said Hecht would be more then serviceable. Our defense was better when he was in the line up last season when Loffler was hurt. I got laughed at for when saying he would be fine with Hecht!

I'm sorry you were laughed at.  You are a strong and capable person who can achieve anything you set your mind to - never forget that!!

6 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Great call. 

Like I said right from TC..the loss G of Loffler would be least of our concerns..andnia easiest position to slit a new guy in...was never worried or concerned

Be safe to say that our safety play over 5 this year has far surpassed our play from last year...easily...and Hecht has still maintained the presence in middle for receivers to keep head on swivel and be tentative.  Which has been seen several times this  yr already

Edited by Booch

I love the way Hall moves around Gaitor and Hecht. Really puts those guys in a position to succeed and negates Hecht's limited speed.  I think they had significantly overestimated Loffler's abilities, and he would have been much better playing more like a Cover 2 safety, shallower and blitzing more like Hecht has been this year.

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I love the way Hall moves around Gaitor and Hecht. Really puts those guys in a position to succeed and negates Hecht's limited speed.  I think they had significantly overestimated Loffler's abilities, and he would have been much better playing more like a Cover 2 safety, shallower and blitzing more like Hecht has been this year.

Isn't that basically what they did with Loffler before Bighill was signed...?