Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

“If you were rolling your film after practice you would have seen [Mathews] working with a group of young guys for 15-20 minutes,” said O’Shea. “When we talked on the phone he promised me he was going to take a group of guys and lead the group on a daily basis. It started on Day 1. These guys weren’t leaving the field until they caught a certain number of balls and he ran that. We need that, we need more of it and I’m just glad he was true to his word.

“He is huge. I’ve been near him and seen him and watched him and been impressed with his play and his professionalism. And then you get beside him in a hallway and you realize this guy is a big, big man. He’s such a good pro, too.”

https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/05/19/matthews-jefferson-making-big-impact/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

38 minutes ago, Noeller said:

A few guys have said that we need more assholes.... No. We need more quality people who can ALSO play... 

So Willie Jefferson is now a character guy... weird I could have sworn I didn't hear him described that way while walking to the end zone last year ha

6 minutes ago, Floyd said:

So Willie Jefferson is now a character guy... weird I could have sworn I didn't hear him described that way while walking to the end zone last year ha

Funny story. When Jefferson signed his contract, it was Nichols who threw him the pen. It took him awhile to finish signing, but now that he has, he’s our character. 

Well, some of this could be true. 😜😳 🤓

23 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Just as a reference Dave Vankoughnett was 6'-4" 245 lbs. in case anyone thinks he looks small.

And macniel was 260. Walby was a monster. And what really stands out is that OL isnt flabby. Those guys could all pancake you then get to the second level and do it again. 

3 hours ago, Fred C Dobbs said:

I totally forgot that Matthews was the first Bomber TD at IGF field

“Amazing. It’s amazing, man,” Matthews said. “Being able to just run on here and see the new faces around here and look at the stadium… that’s where I did my jump right there (after scoring the first TD in IG Field history). Yesterday we were upstairs eating and I was looking out at the field and I was like, ‘Man, this is where it all started for me, where I got my name.’

On 2019-05-18 at 3:26 PM, Geebrr said:

Steven Richardson is an interesting add.

Nevis better bring it.

The Chargers may have gotten a hidden gem in former Minnesota DT Steven Richardson as an UDFA. At one point, I was a slightly high on him. Undersized, but motor always runs hot, decent counters, wins a lot with his natural low pad level.

2 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I totally forgot that Matthews was the first Bomber TD at IGF field

“Amazing. It’s amazing, man,” Matthews said. “Being able to just run on here and see the new faces around here and look at the stadium… that’s where I did my jump right there (after scoring the first TD in IG Field history). Yesterday we were upstairs eating and I was looking out at the field and I was like, ‘Man, this is where it all started for me, where I got my name.’

He is going to be leaping with a lot more guys this time.

7 hours ago, Fred C Dobbs said:

Meanwhile in Denver, Broncos starting qb Joe Flacco said it's not his job to mentor draft pick Drew Lock. It doesn't take much to offer advice & guidance to younger players & have them remember you as a reason for their future success, Joe. Maybe that is why you suck. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Not sure it's worthy of its own thread so I'm posting it here.

I'm really curious to know what others think the Executive/Management team/Coaching staff /Scouting department have to accomplish with this team this year to keep their jobs?

Grey Cup or bust? Or something different per area and/or does it differ by what title you hold?

I'm not sure what to think other than overall playoffs for sure and get to the show. Need to finish close to top in O and D categories. Is that a reasonable expectation from a lifelong Bomber fan who is a bit thirsty?

18 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I'm really curious to know what others think the Executive/Management team/Coaching staff /Scouting department have to accomplish with this team this year to keep their jobs?

Grey Cup or bust? Or something different per area and/or does it differ by what title you hold?

I'm not sure what to think other than overall playoffs for sure and get to the show. Need to finish close to top in O and D categories. Is that a reasonable expectation from a lifelong Bomber fan who is a bit thirsty?

Every year we can keep O'Shea from heading back to Southern Ontario is a win.

No reason to get rid of any of that core group of President, GM, Head Coach.  None of them are on the hot seat.  The team is always ready to play and has been since 2014.  The continuity has and will continue to allow the team to build talented rosters.  We literally haven't been able to attract the level of free agent we've attracted yearly from 2016 on since the early 90's.

4 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Every year we can keep O'Shea from heading back to Southern Ontario is a win.

No reason to get rid of any of that core group of President, GM, Head Coach.  None of them are on the hot seat.  The team is always ready to play and has been since 2014.  The continuity has and will continue to allow the team to build talented rosters.  We literally haven't been able to attract the level of free agent we've attracted yearly from 2016 on since the early 90's.

110% this...

yeah dumping any at this junture is foolish...It's like Fenner said...everything is in place and it's up to them to execute and win the cup...nothing short of that...and I agree...through drafting..free agency, over all team management and league wide image/perception these guys have hit a slam dunk...now it's time for the players to finish it...the window is now..get that first one and see what happens around here and it will most likely result in multiple appearances and hopefully wins

15 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

They continue to make the right calls off the field, keep the team at a contender level, and despite it being harder each year they improve the team each year. I wouldnt count on the canadian mafia going any where any time soon.