Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

Its rookie camp. Optional for vets. No deal = no money = no play. 

And you have 3 guys fighting for 1 job who have 3 days where their reps aren't being stolen by the 2 guys who are guaranteed jobs.  Trying to look good throwing to rookie receivers who have never seen the field goal at the front of the end zone before.  Hopefully they see it in time on that crossing route.

5 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I kkow it’s still Nichols team but Im hoping Streveller steals the #1 from him.

No chance it happens in TC.....only through injury or a lengthy spell of poor play, but I don't see it happening. If Nichols is back to 100% health, I think his game rebounds...

1 hour ago, M.O.A.B. said:

No doubt it will be Nichols, Streveller & Bennett as 1,2 & 3. Bennett being familliar with the O and playing ST makes him a lock on #3.

Bennett is not a lock at #3 and he knows it. That is why he was out yesterday.  Being able to play ST is nice but if you can identify a QB that could be a #1 one day, then you have to keep them around.  Bennett hasn't showed much from that standpoint.

16 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Bennett is not a lock at #3 and he knows it. That is why he was out yesterday.  Being able to play ST is nice but if you can identify a QB that could be a #1 one day, then you have to keep them around.  Bennett hasn't showed much from that standpoint.

Based on what?

1 hour ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I kkow it’s still Nichols team but Im hoping Streveller steals the #1 from him.

This is absolutely the last thing I want to see this year...  if its 2017 Nichols, we have a legit chance at the cup - if we have a QB controversy, ugh...

Love the idea of 1A/1B though

game verus Montreal he showed good mobility and moved chains with his legs, as well as a nice touch on the deep ball to Simonese...albeit a small sample size, but what 3rd stringer gets much to show anything other than as short yardage??

From my observations he seems to be the most athletic of the 3 (in an all around capacity) and seems to have the best arm strength

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

game verus Montreal he showed good mobility and moved chains with his legs, as well as a nice touch on the deep ball to Simonese...albeit a small sample size, but what 3rd stringer gets much to show anything other than as short yardage??

From my observations he seems to be the most athletic of the 3 (in an all around capacity) and seems to have the best arm strength

Its been four years of being a cusp third stringer... and sitting out a full year - I'd much rather see a Canadian 3rd string now or someone completely new

By the time Bennett ever gets a shot, he'll be 29/30...  keep McGuire or Anderson...

25 minutes ago, Booch said:

That’s right. You don’t maneuver special teams like he has without being athletic.

23 minutes ago, Booch said:

Not much sample size. You're right about that. He's also gotten in and done absolutely nothing with his opportunity.  I'm all for the guy proving me wrong. I was actually a Bennett booster after his first year with us (and wasn't too happy we let him go to Sask).  But at a certain point you gotta start showing you're #1 material before they replace you with the next #3 QB.  That doesn't usually happen in games but is evaluated in practice.

So that's why I think he's far from a lock.  Highly doubtful we'd give up on Streveler anytime soon, and we need to constantly be looking for the next guy.

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

So Streveler is our development qb... guy like Bennett is a great option at #3 because he has a bit of experience and if you need him he can bring a lot of things to the field. I got no problem with him hanging around as #3. Big arm, athletic, little experience... goes well with veteran #1, hotshot young #2.

And can contribute in Special teams, unlike many other QBs. Bennett will be a Bomber in 2019