Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

this wasn't just Walter's giving lip service...From what I saw..observed.."heard" was that it was looking like Jones was going to start the season at safety..then blew out his knee

Exactly... It wasn't just Walters saying it. Jones is good... 

ROOKIE CAMP ROSTER

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/bombers-host-three-day-rookie-camp-509873192.html

Kevin Anderson, QB

Rasheed Bailey, WR

Bryan Bennett, QB

Christian Boutte, DB

Malik Boynton, DB

Chauncey Briggs, OL

Kendall Calhoun, OL

Patrick Choudja, DE

Amari Coleman, DB

Tyneil Cooper, DB

Joe Este, DB

Jacob Firlotte, DB*

Geoff Gray, OL*

Nick Hallet, DB*

Thiadric Hansen, LB+

Matt Hazel, WR

Chris Humes, DB

Dexter Janke, DB*

Garrett Johnson, WR

Mike Jones, DB

Ben Koczwara, OL*

Tariq LaChance, DL*

Kenny Lawler, WR

Fernando Richarte Martinez, WR+

Alex McCalister, DE

Charles Nelson, WR

Gabriel Amavizca Ortiz, K+

Matthew Ouellet De Carlo, OL*

Sergio Shiaffino Perez, DB+

Evan Perrizo, DL

Otha Peters Jr., LB

Marcus Rios, DB

Ja’Von Rolland-Jones, DE

Larry Rose III, RB

Cody Speller, OL*

Josh Stewart, WR

Chris Streveler, QB

Nick Temple, LB

Kenneth Walker, WR

Dale Warren, LB

Lucky Whitehead, WR

Tim Wilson, WR

* Denotes Canadian

+ Denotes “Global” player

I don’t think this is a complete roster..the official roster tomorrow?

Edited by Mr Dee

2 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

ROOKIE CAMP ROSTER

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/bombers-host-three-day-rookie-camp-509873192.html

Kevin Anderson, QB

Rasheed Bailey, WR

Bryan Bennett, QB

Christian Boutte, DB

Malik Boynton, DB

Chauncey Briggs, OL

Kendall Calhoun, OL

Patrick Choudja, DE

Amari Coleman, DB

Tyneil Cooper, DB

Joe Este, DB

Jacob Firlotte, DB*

Geoff Gray, OL*

Nick Hallet, DB*

Thiadric Hansen, LB+

Matt Hazel, WR

Chris Humes, DB

Dexter Janke, DB*

Garrett Johnson, WR

Mike Jones, DB

Ben Koczwara, OL*

Tariq LaChance, DL*

Kenny Lawler, WR

Fernando Richarte Martinez, WR+

Alex McCalister, DE

Charles Nelson, WR

Gabriel Amavizca Ortiz, K+

Matthew Ouellet De Carlo, OL*

Sergio Shiaffino Perez, DB+

Evan Perrizo, DL

Otha Peters Jr., LB

Marcus Rios, DB

Ja’Von Rolland-Jones, DE

Larry Rose III, RB

Cody Speller, OL*

Josh Stewart, WR

Chris Streveler, QB

Nick Temple, LB

Kenneth Walker, WR

Dale Warren, LB

Lucky Whitehead, WR

Tim Wilson, WR

* Denotes Canadian

+ Denotes “Global” player

Good to see the Canuck players taking things seriously enough to come to the mini-camp, as well as Streveler and Anderson. Looks to be a very competitive camp from Day One.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Exactly... It wasn't just Walters saying it. Jones is good... 

people tend to forget for JOnes first few years he was worked as and practiced as a Corner and emergency HB....NOT  as a safety and it wasn't a matter of him not being able to take it away from Loffler for his first 2 years, he was a back-up to Loffler sure, but he was also a back-up at corner too....Last year was his first rel open competition to win the safety spot, and was by all accounts about to take it...

8 hours ago, gcn11 said:

If working out the ratio were only as simple as having open competitions regardless of passports....but they are not. Sometimes, you have to pencil in a player that is not as good as his American counterpart because from a total team building/ratio perspective it is what will make for the strongest team over all within the confines of the ratio rules.

There are very few NAT players on our team that would survive the passport challenge. The trick is to play NAT starters in positions where the least amount or no drop off from the ratio is incurred. Gray is not competing against Foketi, he is competing against a ratio number and all the other NATs trying to get or maintain a starting position. If he constitutes the least amount of drop off, or none at all, from Foketi than other players would constitute then he will win the job.

I know and agree.  I just think the sacrifice should be made elsewhere, not on the OL.  We largely depend on our running attack and we have a QB who's not very mobile.

24 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I know and agree.  I just think the sacrifice should be made elsewhere, not on the OL.  We largely depend on our running attack and we have a QB who's not very mobile.

So where?  If you're going 2 NI OL...  then Jake Thomas and Jones are gifted starting jobs?

30 minutes ago, BigBlueFanatic said:

Anyone else super pumped that Streveler gets a full rookie and main camp this year?  From what I recall he missed all (or most) of training camp last season, and next thing you know he’s impressing us as the starter in-relief.  

Pre-season hopes in full flight for this fan!

I remember him play significantly in both pre-season games last year.  I think it was Bennett that was a late add. 

37 minutes ago, Floyd said:

So where?  If you're going 2 NI OL...  then Jake Thomas and Jones are gifted starting jobs?

2 OL, Harris (RB), 2 receivers, Jones (S)

7th spot: DL on a rotational basis and/or a 3rd Canadian receiver

Not ideal, but better than sacrificing an OL position.  FDR I want one of the young Canadians to step in and take it as much as any of you.   

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

https://www.chrisd.ca/2019/05/15/jim-beam-social-pass-winnipeg-blue-bombers/#.XNwa7shKhQI

This is kind of interesting, but $37/game seems high.....not sure I'd pay that much and not have a seat.

It seems like a good deal for the people who don't go to their seats anyway.  They stand by the Rum Hut & drink so this gets them in & their 1st drink for cheaper than what they probably pay now. 

They can always just go sit in an empty seat until someone kicks them out too since sell-outs are rare (Banjo Bowl excluded).