Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Bryant-Neufeld-Couture-Foketi-Hardrick

Kowczara-Speller-Gray

Ouellet-Eli-Desjarlais

That's pretty nice interior depth heading into camp...  I can't remember anything like this with NI OL for a long long time...

Cant remember it at all. That level of depth and developmental talent is incredible. IN years gone by having any of the bottom 6 would be reason for great optimism. 

2 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

Can't imagine there are any plans to go import at safety.

Agree, though in general Id rather have a NI wil beside bighill and an IMP S. But im pretty high on jones. Out side of jones Id rather have fenner/gaitor. One at sam one at S. But I dont see it happening. 

20 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Cant remember it at all. That level of depth and developmental talent is incredible. IN years gone by having any of the bottom 6 would be reason for great optimism. 

Agree, though in general Id rather have a NI wil beside bighill and an IMP S. But im pretty high on jones. Out side of jones Id rather have fenner/gaitor. One at sam one at S. But I dont see it happening

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they go import at safety. Derek Jones has been a backup for 4 years and now he is suddenly going to become a starter after a bad injury ended his year last year? It's possible but there is some obvious risk there. And I don't see any other Canadian on the roster who should be starting at safety. So if Jones isn't performing, I could see an American winning that spot.

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they go import at safety. Derek Jones has been a backup for 4 years and now he is suddenly going to become a starter after a bad injury ended his year last year? It's possible but there is some obvious risk there. And I don't see any other Canadian on the roster who should be starting at safety. So if Jones isn't performing, I could see an American winning that spot.

3 NI ol. 2 NI receivers. Harris. Just means you have to start 1 on defense. Situational between a lineman and safety? 

1 hour ago, BBlink said:

3 NI ol. 2 NI receivers. Harris. Just means you have to start 1 on defense. Situational between a lineman and safety? 

It will be interesting to see if one of the young nationals steps up and fills Chungh’s vacated guard spot. IMO they should be required to beat out Foketi - should not be gifted the position based solely on passport. 

3 hours ago, Mark H. said:

It will be interesting to see if one of the young nationals steps up and fills Chungh’s vacated guard spot. IMO they should be required to beat out Foketi - should not be gifted the position based solely on passport. 

Why should Gray have to win his position but Jones is 'gifted' his?

5 hours ago, Floyd said:

Why should Gray have to win his position but Jones is 'gifted' his?

this is a fair and legitimate question, but I'd say that Jones has a lot more reps at his position than Gray at his.....again, keep in mind that Jones was winning the Safety spot last year until injury...

Delroy Baker Jr.‏ @BigBake_71 54m54 minutes ago

I am excited to announce that I’ve been blessed to sign my first contract today to begin my Pro Football career with the @Wpg_BlueBombers in Canada!! Thanks to the organization for the opportunity to further my dreams!! God bless and Go Bombers #ForTheW

4 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Delroy Baker Jr.‏ @BigBake_71 54m54 minutes ago

I am excited to announce that I’ve been blessed to sign my first contract today to begin my Pro Football career with the @Wpg_BlueBombers in Canada!! Thanks to the organization for the opportunity to further my dreams!! God bless and Go Bombers #ForTheW

Offensive Tackle

12 hours ago, Mark H. said:

If working out the ratio were only as simple as having open competitions regardless of passports....but they are not. Sometimes, you have to pencil in a player that is not as good as his American counterpart because from a total team building/ratio perspective it is what will make for the strongest team over all within the confines of the ratio rules.

There are very few NAT players on our team that would survive the passport challenge. The trick is to play NAT starters in positions where the least amount or no drop off from the ratio is incurred. Gray is not competing against Foketi, he is competing against a ratio number and all the other NATs trying to get or maintain a starting position. If he constitutes the least amount of drop off, or none at all, from Foketi than other players would constitute then he will win the job.

Edited by gcn11

2 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Mike Sawatzky@sawa14

Agent for #Bombers top pick, OL Drew Desjarlais, confirms his client has a private workout with the #NFLJets today and will probably decide shortly if he will sign with #Bombers. Fred Weinrauch says basics of a deal with Winnipeg have been worked out. #WFP

The NFL workout is just a formality. He's in the bag.

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

this is a fair and legitimate question, but I'd say that Jones has a lot more reps at his position than Gray at his.....again, keep in mind that Jones was winning the Safety spot last year until injury...

I mean, I know Walters said Jones was pushing Loffler for that job before the injury last year, but when Jones is the incumbent and the previous starter left in free agency, I think Walters (or most GMs) are going to say something positive about that player. Not about to stand up there and say we are going with our back up from last year because that's all we have. Probably a different argument, but I take all Walters and O'Shea comments with a grain of salt. They are always positive. Not knocking them, think they've done a great job, but Im not getting excited about Jones replacing Loffler until we see him on the field. 

1 hour ago, shadybob said:

I mean, I know Walters said Jones was pushing Loffler for that job before the injury last year, but when Jones is the incumbent and the previous starter left in free agency, I think Walters (or most GMs) are going to say something positive about that player. Not about to stand up there and say we are going with our back up from last year because that's all we have. Probably a different argument, but I take all Walters and O'Shea comments with a grain of salt. They are always positive. Not knocking them, think they've done a great job, but Im not getting excited about Jones replacing Loffler until we see him on the field. 

Yup, of course Walters is going to speak that way about Jones. He basically has too. Saying that, I do remember hearing on this forum as well as from friends who went to camp that Jones seemed to have taken another step and was looking very good on D. Does he regain that form? That's another question all together. Reason for optimism forsure, but he still has lots to prove.