Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

I know everyone is giddy about the Whitehead signing, but unless they get the return game sorted out from last year it won't matter.  They could have had Gizmo back there last year and not gotten a kickoff past the 25.  I never figured out what it was but it was not the returners.  The kid from Oregon was a top-end return talent and Demski is no slouch. The Bombers have options.  They just need to get more out of their special team guys.

39 minutes ago, MC said:

I know everyone is giddy about the Whitehead signing, but unless they get the return game sorted out from last year it won't matter.  They could have had Gizmo back there last year and not gotten a kickoff past the 25.  I never figured out what it was but it was not the returners.  The kid from Oregon was a top-end return talent and Demski is no slouch. The Bombers have options.  They just need to get more out of their special team guys.

Returns have certainly lost their spark since O'Shea handed off the ST duties to Paul Boudreau, it might be time for a "readjustment".

3 hours ago, CodyT said:

Any guesses on what his salary is looking like? Got to admit was glad to tune in today to see this news.

Just a guess. But I think he comes in with a lower salary than Walker and Ellington.  Maybe 180k. Could be wrong though.

Interview with Chris Mathews - highlights:

Where he’s improved: “Consistency and hard work.”

“I don’t need to be sold on Winnipeg. They already have the pieces to get there.” “ He studied Nichols. Interviews and games. - He’s a stud. Works hard. Passionate and genuine.”

Talked to Bauming, O’Shea, Walters and LaPo.

Knows LaPo, heard about O’Shea, who was with a Toronto, talked to football buddies, hands down everybody said he was a very good Coach.

"Winnipeg has been great to me. From the time I got to Winnipeg to the time when I left, that was probably the most fun football I've played in a long time.'' -CFL Notebook

Edited by Mr Dee

Tait of the freep has a good article on Chris....I have a petty good memory going back to when Matthews first arrived...Credit 'Mike' who frequents the board for saying, at that time, something like...'this guy has to be signed to the Bomber roster'...and was a little down when he left...like a lot of others on here...He's the big bodied...clutch catch player ,we've always needed, and the Bomber club is going to be a force in 19' with him on it

30 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Tait of the freep has a good article on Chris....I have a petty good memory going back to when Matthews first arrived...Credit 'Mike' who frequents the board for saying, at that time, something like...'this guy has to be signed to the Bomber roster'...and was a little down when he left...like a lot of others on here...He's the big bodied...clutch catch player ,we've always needed, and the Bomber club is going to be a force in 19' with him on it

Watch a 'rookie' import SB now emerge on this team as defences have to worry about both Matthews and Harris...

"My ultimate goal is to retire as a Winnipeg Blue Bomber," Matthews said Friday in a conference call from Los Angeles with reporters. 

"I want to my name to be up there with Milt Stegall and Terrence Edwards," he said, referring to two of the greatest receivers to play with the Bombers over the past two decades.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/chris-matthews-receiver-rejoins-bombers-1.5131360

1 hour ago, MOBomberFan said:

"My ultimate goal is to retire as a Winnipeg Blue Bomber," Matthews said Friday in a conference call from Los Angeles with reporters. 

"I want to my name to be up there with Milt Stegall and Terrence Edwards," he said, referring to two of the greatest receivers to play with the Bombers over the past two decades.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/chris-matthews-receiver-rejoins-bombers-1.5131360

I hope this doesn't mean we gave him at $70k signing bonus and he's going to retire before training camp... 😳

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

The most Tburg-y post by a non-TBurg poster ever..... 

I doubt if frosty has ever seen him play. The only guy I know who always wants to talk about the Jets on chat when the Bombers are playing when no one wants to. Like who gives a **** about the Jets when the Bombers are playing?

Edited by SpeedFlex27